Disney buys Star Wars

A place general forum talk, not related to ingame discussions.
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Re: Disney buys Star Wars

Juliette wrote:
Eärendil wrote:4 words.

Tim Burton

johnny depp
Oh.. and a warning: John Carter
Yup this is what I thought of, they're all gonna be as bad as that movie was lol.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
Sanguis Sicarius
Forum Regular
Alliance: Dark Dominium
Race: Samurai
ID: 5054012

:D
Spoiler
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

Empy wrote:
Juliette wrote:

Tim Burton

johnny depp
Yup this is what I thought of, they're all gonna be as bad as that movie was lol.

NO! John Carter was not actually THAT bad. At least I did not think so, not at all actually.. if anything it just needed a bit more... what is the word? UMTH! It had fantastic special effects, the acting was half good, the basic story line was not awful.. it just had such dreadful promotion.

The pirates films were managed badly in the end. The key is director. Whedon did so well with Avengers, Brannagh did great with Thor etc etc... it's all about the director. Disney need to get JJ Abrams, the Chronicle team or they need to clone Whedon to get the most out of this I believe.

PS. They also need to ignore the EU all together.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Semper wrote:
Empy wrote:
Juliette wrote:

Tim Burton

johnny depp

NO! John Carter was not actually THAT bad. At least I did not think so, not at all actually.. if anything it just needed a bit more... what is the word? UMTH! It had fantastic special effects, the acting was half good, the basic story line was not awful.. it just had such dreadful promotion.

The pirates films were managed badly in the end. The key is director. Whedon did so well with Avengers, Brannagh did great with Thor etc etc... it's all about the director. Disney need to get JJ Abrams, the Chronicle team or they need to clone Whedon to get the most out of this I believe.

I guess you're right it wasn't THAT bad, but I would still expect better from a Star Wars movie.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Semper wrote:

Ridiculous. Why let some idiot with no feeling for SW's universe write an entirely new story when there is a wealth of great stories there. Way more interesting than mopping up bits and pieces of a broken empire could ever be.

Vong! Vong! Vong! :P
Also Zachary Quinto as Jacen Solo.
Sylus
Fledgling Forumer
Race: Love Demon
ID: 1915552

Semper wrote:The key is director. Whedon did so well with Avengers, Brannagh did great with Thor etc etc... it's all about the director. Disney need to get JJ Abrams, the Chronicle team or they need to clone Whedon to get the most out of this I believe.

See, I'm going to post the heinous subjective nature of this statement.

In contrast to what you thought; I absolutely hated what Whedon did with Avengers. I though the vast majority was trash, the dialogue was obvious, and the character motivations were haphazard (black widow highlights this). My broader issue is that Whedon is given some impunity to criticism these days, and it is already leading to the same plot issues that Lucas fell into. Yes-men that follow writers and directors enable terrible movies.

Buy hey, this is my subjective opinion as well (and I'm not going to debate the merits of any films here, just thought I'd give some opposition). I think if you're advocating cloning, I think you're advocating mediocrity.

I just think the best anyone can hope for is a movie that they enjoy; and I can think of far worse production companies than Disney.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Juliette wrote:
Semper wrote:

Ridiculous. Why let some idiot with no feeling for SW's universe write an entirely new story when there is a wealth of great stories there. Way more interesting than mopping up bits and pieces of a broken empire could ever be.

Vong! Vong! Vong! :P
Also Zachary Quinto as Jacen Solo.

I read that again, that is how EU started, lol.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

There is many good, and a few not-so-good stories in the EU.

one direction that would be interesting would be if they filmed stuff from the old republic era...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

Averngers was a good film. I'll stand by that. Considering he had to meld five or six superstars into one credible film with a sustainable plot he did well indeed and it came out as a better film than three of the six SW films (Jedi, 1 and 2). No film is perfect by any means and yeah we can find issues... I mean why did Loki bother at all to go and manipulate the team rather than just surprise attacking them and crashing the ship. He'd have likely killed BW, HE and Stark before anything happened. Dark Knight rises fluffed its climax, RoTJ has teddy bears as the great and powerful Empires bane, Dark Knight often feels rushed and underuses Dent with a ton of not so subtle forshadowing, Transformers re-writes its canon every new film, Titanic was epicly sickening, Avatar was the recycled plot from about 20 different films... they've all got problems with plot, dialogue and beyond.. not a single one of them escapes some form of critique.

At the same time, lets put that in comparison to say Spiderman 3 which was bloated, awfully so or Iron Man 2 which missed the ball with its villains, or the recent use of KIngsley as a texan-asian villain in Iron Man 3. It's the director. Whedon knows fantasy, he loves sci-fi and is the geek answer to a lot of things... he's not infallible and was just a suggestion but he'd be better than most, save maybe JJ Abrams who has admitted he only took on Trek because it was the next best thing as he could not do any more Star Wars, which was his real love.

@Juliette. The only thing good to come out of post Endor EU was Thrawn, i'd take three films about him or KOTOR.. the rest of it is trash from the Solo twins to luke getting married to Kryt and one sith all the way to the Vong and Palpatines Clones/spirit transfer. So yeah, i'd take a less asian 'take things to the most ridiculous extreme' view of eps 7-9 any day of the week from people who know how to write films, not anime, books and comics which operate in an entirely different universe.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
[BoT] Jason
Forum History
Alliance: TA
Race: DIEDAYDIEDAY
ID: 13003152
Alternate name(s): Pimp,Slenderman

I don't watch enough movies to critique topics such as plot line and directors abilities, but I can say that you're shooting a company down before they fail... Which will just make the movies seem bad to you anyways.

*Flies away*
Pimping

Feb 06, 06:16 Field Marshall Attack defended 15 88,977,968 0 x,x62,635,278,400 900,114 details

| | Hero of the Year | |

Winner: BMMJ13
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Semper wrote:@Juliette. The only thing good to come out of post Endor EU was Thrawn, i'd take three films about him or KOTOR.. the rest of it is trash from the Solo twins to luke getting married to Kryt and one sith all the way to the Vong and Palpatines Clones/spirit transfer. So yeah, i'd take a less asian 'take things to the most ridiculous extreme' view of eps 7-9 any day of the week from people who know how to write films, not anime, books and comics which operate in an entirely different universe.
KotOR films would be fantastic, agreed. :) Thrawn was a prawn, but fair enough, could have some fun stories there.
Fair point on the anime and whatnot.. the inclusion of 'magic' in The Clone Wars almost threw me off that; nonsensical marketing. But very Disney.

Next thing you know, there will be Pocahontas in Space, falling in love with Darth Vader and Aladdin's Genie. :?
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

actually, there are aspects of the force in the old republic era dealing into "sorcery" and "magic", they're just not common in the jedi and more recent sith.

Sith Sorcery was a skill utilized fairly often by the earlier dark lords of the sith, and especially by the original Sith species.

But some of that dathomiri magic was a bit silly, yes.

filming KOTOR would be nice.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Revan's rise, exile and fall, maybe?
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

that works.

Darth bane is also a decent story to cover.

Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

There is no way they will be able to go back to Lucas' original style in A New Hope so as far as I can envisage they can either do the same as I-III and go with a Joss Whedon style, unintelligent adventure romp, a Tim Burton entertainment action comedy or a Christopher Nolan, Zack Snyder dark and gritty type thing.
Personally, dark and gritty Star Wars would be AWESOME.
Rorschach as a Jedi anyone?

Return to “This, That, Those, and Them”