SoC #1 Vote discussion/activity of members

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Lithium
Forum Zombie
Alliance: The Pirate's Panties
Race: Pirate
ID: 0

this forum has more mods then active users OMG.
somewhere i saw a topic about a rule B or whatever.... it was funy cuz only few users posted and the majority were mods. tis says all .
Previously on GateWars Forum
The orgin of Guild
Spoiler
Lithium wrote:he was talkin bout me and remembering the days i was massing him wit one finger ;)
Guild wrote:is that the same finger you stick up your bum ? :smt060
Lithium wrote:no its the one who gave u life ;)
Field Marshall wrote:Lith put his finger up his bum and Guild arrived? :smt017
I wish that was genuinely true :)
Lithium wrote:oooo why there isnt any emo for this one , id have dropped of chair dead :smt042
MajorLeeHurts wrote:
Lithium wrote:oooo why there isnt any emo for this one , id have dropped of chair dead :smt042
Agreed that was the funnies **Filtered** ive read here!
Im sure JT is enjoying this thread , if he isnt hes in a coma !
Feedback Me
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=101259
Z E R O
Forum Addict
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1918344
Alternate name(s): Hymir

Re: vote no for HAZ

Lithium wrote:this forum has more mods then active users OMG.
somewhere i saw a topic about a rule B or whatever.... it was funy cuz only few users posted and the majority were mods. tis says all .

You mean the thread where just as many mods were voting to make the rule lenient as mods that were voting to keep it just as strict? and that very same thread, the users posting was much like mods.. about half and half on each side.

Hardly a good example of corruption in the team.
Z E R O - Jötunheim - 1907332 - UnKnown of the TOLAH
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
Lithium
Forum Zombie
Alliance: The Pirate's Panties
Race: Pirate

ratio 1:1 is ridiculous ....no more comments no need.
Previously on GateWars Forum
The orgin of Guild
Spoiler
Lithium wrote:he was talkin bout me and remembering the days i was massing him wit one finger ;)
Guild wrote:is that the same finger you stick up your bum ? :smt060
Lithium wrote:no its the one who gave u life ;)
Field Marshall wrote:Lith put his finger up his bum and Guild arrived? :smt017
I wish that was genuinely true :)
MajorLeeHurts wrote:
Agreed that was the funnies **Filtered** ive read here!
Im sure JT is enjoying this thread , if he isnt hes in a coma !
Feedback Me
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=101259
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

=D>
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Z E R O wrote:

You mean the thread where just as many mods were voting to make the rule lenient as mods that were voting to keep it just as strict? and that very same thread, the users posting was much like mods.. about half and half on each side.

Not an example of corruption, but an example of the lack of .. whatever it is .. in users. 25 people voted. Of those, no more than 10 were regular users at the time of their vote. Of those, 7:3 voted yes:no, and of the mods 6:9 voted yes:no.

Your statement is not in agreement with the facts. :)

There is a point here, but it is not 'corruption in the staff', rather a lack of involvement from users (which, ironically, this kind of public vote seeks to promote).
Sphinx42
Goa'uld

Juliette wrote:
Z E R O wrote:

Not an example of corruption, but an example of the lack of .. whatever it is .. in users. 25 people voted. Of those, no more than 10 were regular users at the time of their vote. Of those, 7:3 voted yes:no, and of the mods 6:9 voted yes:no.

Your statement is not in agreement with the facts. :)

There is a point here, but it is not 'corruption in the staff', rather a lack of involvement from users (which, ironically, this kind of public vote seeks to promote).

Let's call it reticence, or something like that. I can't speak for others, but I do know why I didn't bother to vote.

It wasn't a particularly major issue, mind you, but it was the first (and so far the only one) to be put to voting as such; this is why it was to be expected that few people would vote at first, and also why I wanted to contribute, even if the issue didn't really hold a lot of importance for me per se. Yet, I ended up not voting - simply put, because it was half-baked.

Saying that, I'm not trying to insult anyone or provoke anything, I'm just stating a strong impression. I should know what a half-baked thing is like, seeing as I've done plenty of those in my life.

The issue was about 'replying to the official post of a moderator in a topic' and whether it should be followed by verbal warnings or board warnings. Neither of the two choices did I find good enough.

I do remember in the last few days reading a blue post in some topic and wanting to reply to something said in it (I forgot which topic, and I don't think it was very important). But, if I understand that rule correctly, doing so would get me either a verbal or a board warning, depending on which version was in place at the time. Even though I thought my reply to be relevant enough to warrant posting it.

Posting it, mind you, not PM-ing the mod to be able to express my opinion and avoid breaking the rule at the same time. PM-ing is for individual discussions, posting is for everyone reading the topic to see and have the opportunity to reply to. Even in the voting topic, I wasn't supposed to post anything other than my vote (if I had one, but like I said, I didn't like either option); if I had anything else to add to the topic, I was supposed to PM SS about it, rather than post it and let everyone else discuss it or shoot it down as pointless.

Zero-tolerance, by-the-letter-of-the-law ruling I can understand; flexible, case-by-case ruling I can understand. In either case, the staff makes the calls and the users accept their decisions. What I don't understand is why, for instance, a special rule is needed for replying to a mod's official post. If there is a zero-tolerance ruling, delete it and warn the user, as with any kind of post that isn't allowed; if not, decide if it is spam or a meaningful contribution by judging the content of the post rather than whether it contains blue text inside a quote tag. Like I said, it feels like a half-baked attempt to please everyone - neither dictatorial/focused on up-keeping the order first and foremost, neither liberal/focused on reason and trust, but more like trying to please an annoying kid.

And for what's worth, I think that, given the current level of activity on these forums, a zero-tolerance ruling would be catastrophic, so the only way to keep the forums alive is the other alternative - a few general rules, whose application is left up for the staff to decide on a case-by-case scenario and the users to accept and deal with. Let the complainers complain (they have several places where they can do it), the troublemakers be warned and banned, and everyone else do their business freely, without having to memorize rulebooks with exception lists or to avoid certain topics for fear of an iron fist hitting them.

P.S. This discussion has itself gotten pretty off-topic, hasn't it?
Gone, left, no longer here.
R0B3RT
Forum Zombie
Alliance: jaded empire
Race: fighter

In total there are 33 users online :: 3 registered, 2 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes) :smt075
Most users ever online was 330 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:40 pm
~Odin~
Alföðr
Alliance: The Collective
Race: International Pimp

Re: SoC #1 Vote discussion/activity of members

Please keep these discussions in this thread now and away from the other two please.
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 145,573,411,725,000 damage
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage
TGW Annual Community Awards 2014/2015
Spoiler

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”