FF vs IE

Tacet
Forum Regular
Alliance: T I T A N S
ID: 84055

FF vs IE

In this thread I'd like to discuss the merits of the two browsers against each other. In a more light-hearted tone - I'd like to know if there are actually any advantages to IE?

FF is free with a well-established, open and public developer base. Numerous add-ons, skins and themes exists, and it integrates well both Windows and Linux (the merits of which aren't to be discussed here).

IE is currently still bundled with Windows, so you have to pay for it. It is also possible to develop add-ons for it, though the developer base is smaller than for FF. I couldn't yet find a decent, easy to install ad-blocker on the official add-on site, but there are third-party software that does the job.

As for loading times - those are very link dependent. Different sources gives widely differing results, making them very suspect. Please don't base arguments on those, unless you can present a scientific method with which your measurements were taken (hypothesis, theoretical analysis, experimental verification, hypothesis evaluation). Also take into account the presence of cache servers and dynamic routing.

I left out advantages to both browsers, to give room for comments.
Ken jy my nou? Het jy die spiëel gesien en ken jy jou?
Do now you know me? Did you see the mirror and do you know yourself?
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Planet of Tatooine
Race: Sand People
ID: 0

Re: FF vs IE

FF

no debate about it.
Beware - The Sleeper Has Awoken
[BoT] Jason
Forum History
Alliance: TA
Race: DIEDAYDIEDAY
ID: 13003152
Alternate name(s): Pimp,Slenderman

FF for browsing and IE for farming
Pimping

Feb 06, 06:16 Field Marshall Attack defended 15 88,977,968 0 x,x62,635,278,400 900,114 details

| | Hero of the Year | |

Winner: BMMJ13
Tacet
Forum Regular

Why IE for farming?

FF have a "macro" plugin. I have to admit that the temptation is there to try and automate things like banking, training, etc... Sad thing is - the temptation is born out of curiosity to see if it can be done rather than any desire to use it!

I like the way IE8's address bar works, it highlights the main address itself and leave the rest normal:

http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/posting.php?mode=reply&f=134&t=145784
Solus
WAR POPE

Honours and Awards

of the 2 browsers, FireFox, with no competition. in my experience IE is just a load of crud, the majority of extensions impact negatively on browsing and gaming, and generally is just too basic for a lot of things.

however, if you're looking at 3rd party browsers like firefox, Opera is another alternative which is available on windows, apple, various linux versions, unix systems, and a lot more. extremely customiseable etc. and while the dev community for plugins may be a bit smaller than FF, I find it to be superior.

~soul
Slim87R wrote:I think your Solus is showing.
Spoiler
Juliette wrote:Glory to the Solus.
Psyko wrote:You sick and twisted little Sol, you. :smt047 :smt049
Malx wrote:
Noobert wrote:I love when Solus posts. It brightens my day because of how awesome he is.
+1
Eärendil wrote:
SuperSaiyan wrote:
Eärendil wrote:Making fun of SS in his face
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:Punching SS in his face
its ok, you both love me more then existence itself anyway
No, No I don't.
I love Solus.
And I even love Canadian Bacon more than you.
Radiance wrote:Oh my marriage-consummating deity.. that was awesome. :shock:
(F)(¯`• (F)¸·´¯)«§müg»™(¯`·¸(F) •´¯)(F) says (5:38 PM):
*who is solus?
Chris/Deviathan[EVE Online] says (5:38 PM):
*solus is god
*and he touches us all with his noodly appendage
[BoT] Eärendil :: Matt says (5:38 PM):
*solus is... better than raptor jesus
SuperSaiyan - Pirate says (10:25 PM):
*solus is out for blood Image
Tacet
Forum Regular

I use Opera mini for my mobile - it works very well. Haven't really tried it for pc, though.
[BoT] Jason
Forum History
Alliance: TA
Race: DIEDAYDIEDAY
ID: 13003152
Alternate name(s): Pimp,Slenderman

Tacet wrote:I use Opera mini for my mobile - it works very well. Haven't really tried it for pc, though.

I also use it on my phone

Tacet wrote:FF have a "macro" plugin.

Cheater :o
lol joke :lol: :lol:
Pimping

Feb 06, 06:16 Field Marshall Attack defended 15 88,977,968 0 x,x62,635,278,400 900,114 details

| | Hero of the Year | |

Winner: BMMJ13
Caprila
Grand Master of the Inquisition
Race: Immortal

FF for 99% of things. It's more stable, works better over all with sites, and is most importantly, pretty :)

IE6 ( not 7, not 8, they should have been burned before release ) is lovely to mass with though.

Broke my damn weapons with it last week mass-raiding, you can't say that ain't fast :-D

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan

Browsers based on the mozilla engine such as firefox are usually much easier to find extras too as well as tending to have better extras because of the competition.

Opera isnt bad but lacks the sheer extensibility of ones like FF

All IE releases should now be banned from the internet and all computers, they are the bane of any IT literate person and the source of most of teh vulnerabilities that windows has experienced since XP was released (ok, exageration a lil, but i really hate IE) Anyone caught using it should be dragged out of their house and chained up in the local square for some good old fashioned 'community policing' of rotten fruit/veg

There are of course others, many in fact and most do well, but dont expect me to bother naming them all here.
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
agapooka
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Honours and Awards

I would feel naked without Opera.
Agapooka wrote:The argument that because a premise cannot be proven false, it must be true, is known as a Negative Proof Fallacy in logic.
Mister Sandman wrote:Nothing at all near the negative proof fallacy in logic. If it cannot be proven false, it has to be true.
Pooka's UU Market Loyalty Card:

Rudy Pena: 1 stamp!

A Spider: 1 stamp!
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

Kit-Fox wrote:Browsers based on the mozilla engine such as firefox are usually much easier to find extras too as well as tending to have better extras because of the competition.

Opera isnt bad but lacks the sheer extensibility of ones like FF

All IE releases should now be banned from the internet and all computers, they are the bane of any IT literate person and the source of most of teh vulnerabilities that windows has experienced since XP was released (ok, exageration a lil, but i really hate IE) Anyone caught using it should be dragged out of their house and chained up in the local square for some good old fashioned 'community policing' of rotten fruit/veg

There are of course others, many in fact and most do well, but dont expect me to bother naming them all here.

excellent post lol :D

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Solus
WAR POPE

Honours and Awards

Agapooka wrote:I would feel naked without Opera.

YOU.

ARE.

SEX.

/spam..... seriously though i find opera not needing many add ons to function how i want it, and the small number of things i do get are just so easy to track down, and in general i find browsing a more pleasurable experience with Opera than even FF. dont get me wrong, FF is good, i highly recommend it, but i reccommend Opera just that little sliver more. (also gives me an excuse to be somewhat elitist and scoff at not just IE users :P ...jks :P )

~soul
Slim87R wrote:I think your Solus is showing.
Spoiler
Juliette wrote:Glory to the Solus.
Psyko wrote:You sick and twisted little Sol, you. :smt047 :smt049
Malx wrote:
Noobert wrote:I love when Solus posts. It brightens my day because of how awesome he is.
+1
Eärendil wrote:
SuperSaiyan wrote:
Eärendil wrote:Making fun of SS in his face
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:Punching SS in his face
its ok, you both love me more then existence itself anyway
No, No I don't.
I love Solus.
And I even love Canadian Bacon more than you.
Radiance wrote:Oh my marriage-consummating deity.. that was awesome. :shock:
(F)(¯`• (F)¸·´¯)«§müg»™(¯`·¸(F) •´¯)(F) says (5:38 PM):
*who is solus?
Chris/Deviathan[EVE Online] says (5:38 PM):
*solus is god
*and he touches us all with his noodly appendage
[BoT] Eärendil :: Matt says (5:38 PM):
*solus is... better than raptor jesus
SuperSaiyan - Pirate says (10:25 PM):
*solus is out for blood Image
Tacet
Forum Regular

Sounds like I might have to give Opera a try, sometime. Does it have AdBlock-like plug-ins? And maybe a decent IM (Jabber, MSN) plug-in?

Also - all Opera Mini traffic goes through their servers, afaik, from where it is compressed and then sent to my phone. I hope the full Opera doesn't do the same?
iron spiderman
Forum Newbie

Biggest problem I have with FF is memory demand. It will take up a lot of memory as one whole process. Google Chrome actually breaks up each tab as a separate process so it is handled by memory faster. But I wouldn't stop using FireFox for anything.
Tacet
Forum Regular

My FF normally takes up about 75 - 90 MB of memory. That's at about 5-6 tabs.

I'm trying to not use Google for EVERYTHING (chat, email, searching, mapping, browsing....) so I've kept away from Chrome thus far. Might be a good idea to install the 4 next to each other, find good add-ons and test them that way. IE, FF, Opera (how do you abbreviate that!) and Chrome (same here?).

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”