Life of Pi

Chat about your favorite movie?
Does that new film look great or like an epic fail?
Aisar Saqib
Forum Expert
Alliance: TF HC
Race: TF
ID: 1912374
Alternate name(s): ASJ, messenger of death,deadily knight,lord cyrus..

Life of Pi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Pi_%28film%29

So a Taiwanese-American director made the movie out of an canadian novel wow.. in my opinion this is the best movie of 2012... no doubt abt it...

Most Slaughters: 70 by ASJ

Trade feedback:
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=191582

SGW awards and past sigs:
Spoiler
ImageImage
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

Re: Life of Pi

Amazing movie, loved every minute of it.
Sylus
Fledgling Forumer
Race: Love Demon
ID: 1915552

Heh, had a conversation with someone about this the other day. Fantastic looking movie. But that's it. If I was to treat the story with any sort of seriousness, I would have so many negative things to say, I would scarcely know where to begin. I'll skim over the thinly veiled racism of the first act because I honestly found it so perverse that it was actually funny.

So I have to ask... no one else offended at complete message of the film surrounding religion and faith?

[spoiler]Anyone with faith is essentially more compassionate than those that aren't. Actually the film essentially goes out of its way to portray the faithful as being far more positive in almost all aspects of life.
Further the film argues that it "doesn't matter which faith you advocate, it essentially makes you a better person than an atheist."
Every person who didn't subscribe to faith was depicted negatively in most aspects. I can only imagine whom the frenchman was...
Queue every scene with the father. SUBTLE GUYS! SUBTLE![/spoiler]

Then off course we have the treatment of the audience as being retarded.

[spoiler]This culminates in the explicit explanation of the movies symbolism. The need to explain essentially what the real premise of the film (not once, but three times) is obnoxious.
"YOU WERE THE TIGER!" Seriously? That was needed? After the analogy being explained twice, we had a character specifically verbalise the most obvious part. *slow clap*
Then, if you take it literally, think about the first 40 minutes of the boat. So many plot issues. The exaggeration of the danger from the tiger in conjunction with the food issues essentially retcons itself. I get what it was trying to say, I do, but it failed wholeheartedly in its depiction. There is no way to say that the tiger represented his baser or more negative personality from survival when you look at the interactions between them. In trying to make it "heart-warming" the film renders itself incoherent.[/spoiler]

So, I enjoyed the visuals, but if I was to take the story at face value, I'd think it was written by a 4 year old.

/two-cents
dip ship
Forum Grunt
ID: 0

pie dosent live long in my house :smt060
Huxley wrote:THIS should be the TAF motto..." Can't hack a war? Join TAF, just go inactive and let a couple guys carry you until the enemy gets bored!"

Return to “Grand Cinema”