Making ascended standalone?

Specific to server: "GateWars: Battle of the Ascended"
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

Making ascended standalone?

So after a few talks with some people and admin J, I'll bring this question into the limelight.
Should ascended be made into more of a stand-alone game still linked (in some ways) to main? So people can still ascend to get into it, and casually sign up for it?
Should it be made into more of a purely separate game? (or duplicated to accommodate for this) As to just allow people to sign up?
Should it be left as it was created to be, a 'secret' server allowable for people that have ascended in main? Mind you it's not exactly secret anymore...
Should something else be done to it that i have missed out from above?

This is just a general discussion about it, that wouldn't happen in the short term even if everyone wanted it (so think more future wise :P ). I'm just interested to see the general feel and consensus about the topic.
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
hokiehomeboy
Forum Regular
Alliance: Suicide Squad
Race: Hitman

Re: Making ascended standalone?

Ascended just underwent a major overhaul. Can we let the dust settle and iron out all the kinks from that first before we go making major changes again? ;)
Signature Here
[IMG]http://terranfamily.win/sigs/tommy/TestSig3.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you Tweetygirl for the glorious siggy!

[IMG]http://terranfamily.win/sigs/tommy/TestSig2.jpg[/IMG]
Sol
Forum Addict

hokiehomeboy wrote:Ascended just underwent a major overhaul. Can we let the dust settle and iron out all the kinks from that first before we go making major changes again? ;)

read the whole post...
This is just a general discussion about it, that wouldn't happen in the short term even if everyone wanted it (so think more future wise :P ). I'm just interested to see the general feel and consensus about the topic.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Thel
Forum Irregular
Alliance: ~Cloud Village~
ID: 1946016

Why make it standalone, makes ascended attacks/ToC useless :smt086
personally I like ascended more then main but there are a lot of people who play it to give their main an advantage so will they continue to play if it goes standalone? ](*,)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted.
War....war never changes.
Sol
Forum Addict

Thel wrote:Why make it standalone, makes ascended attacks/ToC useless :smt086
personally I like ascended more then main but there are a lot of people who play it to give their main an advantage so will they continue to play if it goes standalone? ](*,)

You didnt read my first question did you?
.... still linked (in some ways) to main? So people can still ascend to get into it, and casually sign up for it?

Meaning TOC is still useful and such, ascending still gives you an account etc, except if some people want to purely play ascended (and not main), they can do just that, consider them ascended accounts without linked mains.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Coulson
Forum Regular
Alliance: S.H.I.E.L.D.
Race: Human
ID: 75836

I'm absolutely 100% against.
Sol wrote:Should it be left as it was created to be, a 'secret' server allowable for people that have ascended in main? Mind you it's not exactly secret anymore...
This's how it should be, imo. Okay, so it isn't secret, what gives. The beauty of ascended is imo in its ties to main and the fact that you can't register any other way but through ascending in main.

Not entirely on topic, but in the general direction of the topic;
Okay, currently there's a lot of accounts that passed through many hands, leading to an overflow of ascended accounts (hell, every active player is ascended except for 10 or so newbies). It'd be interesting if playing ascended'd been tied to being in Mains top 1000. (E.g. lose position in top 1000, and you'd be unable to play ascended. Your account could grow like quantums inactives do, so that you'd have something to get back to and it'd not affect actual activity.) That'd have kept the ideas of secrecy and elite alive more.
Sol
Forum Addict

Stuart Gordon wrote: It'd be interesting if playing ascended'd been tied to being in Mains top 1000. (E.g. lose position in top 1000, and you'd be unable to play ascended. Your account could grow like quantums inactives do, so that you'd have something to get back to and it'd not affect actual activity.) That'd have kept the ideas of secrecy and elite alive more.

That would severely cut ascendeds activity though, people drop ranks all the time and some even stay permanently high, not to mention the farming grounds, which are wearing more thinner than main now, in my opinion activity vs new users needs to be fixed, which stems back to new users joining main, if of course it were to continue like this.
There is about 7k odd users in ascended that given a bit of time (ppt and what not) can be attacked, at most given times there are about 30-35 users online, which means for every 266 users you pass over in the cosmos, 1 will be active. For main it's 120 on average with about 60k users which is about 500 users per 1 active, double that of ascended.
Increasing the amount of income per user wont fix a thing ;), the people who farm a lot will just get more dmu.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

I disagree with splitting it, after all the main links between ascended and main happen to be descension and loss of bonus if ascended vacates or is descended. Well, GQ option shows the link, but otherwise it's not linked so much (if you get massed in ascended it doesn't affect main).
Stuart Gordon wrote:I'm absolutely 100% against.
Sol wrote:Should it be left as it was created to be, a 'secret' server allowable for people that have ascended in main? Mind you it's not exactly secret anymore...
This's how it should be, imo. Okay, so it isn't secret, what gives. The beauty of ascended is imo in its ties to main and the fact that you can't register any other way but through ascending in main.

Not entirely on topic, but in the general direction of the topic;
Okay, currently there's a lot of accounts that passed through many hands, leading to an overflow of ascended accounts (hell, every active player is ascended except for 10 or so newbies). It'd be interesting if playing ascended'd been tied to being in Mains top 1000. (E.g. lose position in top 1000, and you'd be unable to play ascended. Your account could grow like quantums inactives do, so that you'd have something to get back to and it'd not affect actual activity.) That'd have kept the ideas of secrecy and elite alive more.

How would you do that? For example if someone is massed or sells attack to raid, it means how long before they could reach ascended? Also, it would mean the 1000 would be crowded with all players who didn't bother with rank but have account strong enough to be in top 1000, making ascended almost impossible to access to newly ascended players.
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Coulson
Forum Regular
Alliance: S.H.I.E.L.D.
Race: Human
ID: 75836

Sol wrote:
Stuart Gordon wrote: It'd be interesting if playing ascended'd been tied to being in Mains top 1000. (E.g. lose position in top 1000, and you'd be unable to play ascended. Your account could grow like quantums inactives do, so that you'd have something to get back to and it'd not affect actual activity.) That'd have kept the ideas of secrecy and elite alive more.
That would severely cut ascendeds activity though, people drop ranks all the time and some even stay permanently high, not to mention the farming grounds, which are wearing more thinner than main now, in my opinion activity vs new users needs to be fixed, which stems back to new users joining main, if of course it were to continue like this.
Yes, hence why I said it'd have had to be tied when it all started, see my use of past tense. :) In a fully active game that isn't an option of course. Hence my caveat.
Sol wrote:There is about 7k odd users in ascended that given a bit of time (ppt and what not) can be attacked, at most given times there are about 30-35 users online, which means for every 266 users you pass over in the cosmos, 1 will be active. For main it's 120 on average with about 60k users which is about 500 users per 1 active, double that of ascended.
Wasn't talking about players active on both main and ascended, but about accounts.
Sol wrote:Increasing the amount of income per user wont fix a thing ;), the people who farm a lot will just get more dmu.
Not what I meant, but you're right in general.

I can explain what I meant more precisely in PM if you wish. I foresee that we're talking past each other here. :)
minisaiyan
Forum Addict
Race: DieHard
Alternate name(s): CJL
Hatebreeder
Aesthetics of Hate

I think if anything, more links would be better. Sorry, i have little time right now and cant really expand on that statement
Thel
Forum Irregular
Alliance: ~Cloud Village~
ID: 1946016

So players who get to ascended server will have to use resources on Personal Power ups while those that sign up directly for ascended wont because they don't have to worry about being descended? Seems legit ](*,)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted.
War....war never changes.
nimious
Fledgling Forumer

.... still linked (in some ways) to main? So people can still ascend to get into it, and casually sign up for it?

it's effortless to ascend these days, so i dont think we need to change that
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

I will post my thoughts from both sides here.

1. Many players, either all the time, sometimes, or varying times do not want to be forced to play two games as ascended and main are. I have often voiced a want to have a race that did not require ascention for those who wanted to be able to compete in main. Lets be honest Damions were a fleeting joke at best. From this side I think the games should be seperated, and to be clear its from a point of a player who wants to invest their time and energy into just 1 game.

2. If a player wants to play just ascended then ascend and vacate main. Its not an issue. But as for seperating them or allowing ascended only players I feel it goes against the entire spirit of the game. Ascended beings are "godz" of a physical world. No physical world = no whorshipers = no "Godz". From a player stand point the games should be link much MORE then they are now. The links are a joke with decesion the only threat with teeth, and that can be easily avoided with a few log ins or a bit of farming to build def levels.

Ultimately I would say
no casual players, as its to easy to just ascend and vacate or abandon main

no to seperating the servers as it destroys to many storylines and abilities in main

no to duplicate because we all know if its not a $$ generator Jason shuns it and its a crap game, and making ascended into a $$ maker will kill it as its the only "real work" game he has, all the rest are $$ servers.

All your suggestions can be done ingame already TBH, so I see no need for change
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Sol, you are doing a great job revitalising the server.
Unless Jason plans to retire main and leave Ascended running, there is no need for any of the actions you describe. ;)

This one is on to something. It could go well. :D
CJL wrote:I think if anything, more links would be better. Sorry, i have little time right now and cant really expand on that statement
Robe
Aussie Icon
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Vampyre
ID: 14876

Honours and Awards

A firm no to separating the servers.

Separating would make the ascended server redundant.
Buck wrote:The Great and Complex GateWars Novel!
The Forces of Light... Robe, The Novels Main Protagonist, The Polar opposite of EtL... Or is she?
Are they that different? There battles have encompassed entire careers and lives within the game, the most bitter and epic of enemies, neither will leave while the other stands... the ultimate climax, will it ever come?
Who knows. One things for sure, the Freedom Fighter is in it for the long haul, its in her head now,
and she must save the world or die trying.
2011 Descensions
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
2010 Descensions
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Ascended General”