The Breaker

A place for random anime lovers to get together and chat!
Ketsurou
Forum Newbie
Race: Sadist

The Breaker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breaker_%28manhwa%29

http://thebreaker.wikia.com/wiki/The_Breaker_Wiki

This is not an anime. Yet. Here's to hoping!

The Breaker is a manwha series, meaning it is a manga that is produced in Korea.

That said, this is the single best series I have ever read. For the past few years, in the hundreds of manga I have read while keeping up with this series, The Breaker has become and remained number one on my favorites list. Easily.

Only read this spoiler if you want a sneak peak at what the series is about. There are a few, although very minor, spoilers here.
[spoiler]It begins in The Breaker with a boy named Lee Shioon, who constantly gets bullied. There is a transfer teacher, who watches him and teases him a bit for being so weak. Later on, Shioon is out at night, and witnesses this temporary English teacher tossing around a few gangsters like toys. Shortly after this, Shioon approaches his teacher, and tries to convince him to teach him martial arts.

Not wanting the trouble and thinking bad of Shioon in general for being so wimpy, the teacher takes him to a bridge and tells him to jump off to prove his resolve, thinking he's just a weak little brat and will go home. Shioon, however, jumps, even not knowing how to swim. After jumping in to save him, reluctantly, the teacher begins teaching Shioon martial arts.

What Shioon doesn't know, however, is that there is an entire underworld of martial artists, like a mafia world of warriors where the strong rule everything: Murim. Not knowing that his teacher is the most powerful, most dangerous, feared, and legendary villain in all of Murim, Shioon is about to be pulled into the ride of his life![/spoiler]

The Breaker goes for 72 chapters, following the main characters growth and some...absolutely incredible, epic, and sometimes very bloody fights.

After The Breaker ended, the author began its sequal, The Breaker: New Waves.

New Waves is still running, and is currently at chapter 118. It is expected to end later this year, some time after which the author will begin the third and final installment of the series.

I highly, highly, highly recommend this series, to anyone who likes martial arts manga or even just action manga. Seriously. After reading about 3,000 different titles in the last 8 years, THIS is my all time favorite, and for very good reason. :D

Return to “Anime Corner”