do authors get to descide what is posted in their threads ?

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
zeekomkommer
Forum Addict
Alliance: sigma leader
Race: systemlord
ID: 70578

do authors get to descide what is posted in their threads ?

this is a spinoff thread off the ombudsman discussion wheter or not a post should have been moved.

it raised an interesting point:

can a topic author descide wich posts stay in a topic and wich don't ?

in our discussion a post got moved becausse the rollplay varried from the rollplay the author wanted for the thread whilst it was never stated only that rollplay was alowed

what does the forum think of this cuz i've had ppl complaining to me before that it is unfair that forum authors get to descide what is posted in their topics just cuz they started the first post

any opinions on this ?
RoKeT
Forum Zombie
Race: The King Jaffa

Re: do authors get to descide what is posted in their threads ?

nope f that they should have no say... period think about if they had a say and it didn't go there way then all they have to do is say delete this delete that and make themselves look good..... if the author doesn't like it close the topic they have that choice.... why the heck not use it i don't care if you don't like wats being posted close your topic ;)
Ex Mod
Looking for an Account?
Spoiler
I can find you one...
21 Accounts sold to Date
Spoiler
deni
The Initiate
Alliance: THE DARK DOMINIUM
Race: Goddess
ID: 75493

Honours and Awards

IMO authors requesting their topics locked and the mods blindly complying to it is one of the bad developments in the recents months.

If a topic stays open or not is a mod prerogative, not the author's one.

As long as a topic stays civil, does not break forum rules and is not a flaming fest, it should stay open.

As for the author's deciding what should stay in their topic and what not: I am not allowed to post in a topic that affects me directly (war declared on me) because I do not want to roleplay in a certain fashion. On the other hand, if I posted a different topic on the same subject, then it would be moved to the dump or closed because it is a duplicate topic. So what should I do? Stay quiet? Only because someone tries to force their "way" of posting to me?

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

No, I don't think they should. Too often do we get people who start debates or announce something and then go running to the mods like a spoilt brat as soon as the discussion touches on something they'd rather not hear.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
DaDigi
Forum Elder
Alliance: I hate all equally
Race: Tri-athalon
ID: 46811

^- i'm with stupid...

If I create a thread about how awesome I am, and we end up talking about different flavors of coffee, then that's called being "off-topic" and requires mod intervention to set things correctly.

A thread, though, is within the public domain once it is posted. Yes, you can edit your posts as much as you'd like, but once you post a thread, it really isn't yours anymore. It belongs to the forum, of which we have the final say over.
DaDigi
Former Moderator for Market & Suggestions/Reports
Colton
Forum Elder
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Canadian
ID: 1938534

I don't think authors should have much say in what posts are and are not allowed in their threads.. o_O
Ĕɱƿŷ
Hannah Montana Groupie
Alliance: Dead
ID: 911
Alternate name(s): Huxley

If an author opens a topic the whole purpose in opening the topic is for people to reply. If they don't like what is being posted there then they shouldn't have opened the topic in the first place. Everyone has their own personal opinions and they shouldn't be discriminated for having an opinion different to another. Some people should learn to not be so intolerant and see eye to eye with the people posting in the topic and see if maybe what they are posting is true or changes their mind. Too many people throw the word spam around when the post can have meaning towards the topic at hand. I see that if the author makes a topic and doesn't like what is being said then they should either ignore the post and move on or reply to the post constructively, without degrading the author for having a different opinion.
Made by Noobert for his Official BFF. (it's true!)
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Man the replies in this thread are "laughable".

zeekomkommer wrote:can a topic author descide wich posts stay in a topic and wich don't ?

Answer = NO

Why? Because the Author has no power over the Mods, and Admins to make such a decision.

Can the author of a topic "report" posts which they feel should not be in the thread?

Answer = YES

Why? Because anyone on this forum can use the "report" function, and if they have good reason to (or even if they give no reason besides off topic) then it is for the Mod to make the decision.

So the answer to Zeek's original question of can a topic author decide which posts stay in a topic and which don't is...... NO.

If anyone noticed, the keyword here is...... "decide"
Image ImageImageImage
Ĕɱƿŷ
Hannah Montana Groupie
Alliance: Dead
ID: 911
Alternate name(s): Huxley

SuperSaiyan wrote:
turkey_man wrote:If an author opens a topic the whole purpose in opening the topic is for people to reply. If they don't like what is being posted there then they shouldn't have opened the topic in the first place.

go open a thread, and when I post something entirely irrelevantit, don't complain about it

When I said that I meant in the sense that they don't agree with it but completely on topic. I'm not talking about spamm and even if you posted something irrelevant I still wouldn't care, I'd simply ignore it which isn't too hard to do but apparently some people can't seem to do this.
Made by Noobert for his Official BFF. (it's true!)
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

DaDigi wrote:A thread, though, is within the public domain once it is posted. Yes, you can edit your posts as much as you'd like, but once you post a thread, it really isn't yours anymore. It belongs to the forum, of which we have the final say over.

turkey_man wrote:If an author opens a topic the whole purpose in opening the topic is for people to reply. If they don't like what is being posted there then they shouldn't have opened the topic in the first place.

Case and point. The Author simply starts the discussion going by starting the thread. After that they have ZERO control over the thread. Zero, Zip, Nadda, None. If anyone does it would be the Forum Staff (Mods, Admins, etc).

If a post does not pertain to the topic of the thread, then it should be moved, but too many posts are considered off topic or spam. Get over it, someone makes a post you don't like, or it's someone you don't want in the topic? Deal with it, you should be prepared for ANYONE to post ANYTHING about your topic when you start the thread, or don't start it.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”