Try a Mod vote system

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Try a Mod vote system

I had a little browse around this forum yesterday to see what's new, and what's not. One thing that seems stale is the continued aggression between users and those that have power of buttons on this forum.

Having been on both sides of the aggression in the past, and having been away for 5 months, I can understand both sides of the conflict, and this unpleasant atmosphere won't evaporate even the slightest without a bit of give and take from both sides.

I have seen many arguments on both sides from "abuse of power", "bias", "corrupt" to "don't break the rules then", "give us examples", and general smugness and lack of empathy.

There seems to be little talking with each other and more fighting. One of the major factors in a lot of this is language, and there are many non-english native speakers here and this will always cause issues. This is another area where give and take and empathy is required.

I would like to recommend, for the possible sake of this forum, to trial a Mod vote system. This is not voting Mods out, but voting Mods in. The next round of Mod recruitment should use such a system. A Mod recruitment advert should be placed in announcements, then all interested parties nominate themselves publicly and post why they want it and what relevant skills etc they have. Then the public will vote for the Mod they feel should be selected. I would also like to recommend that maybe such a system should be run by the Ombudsman Office.

In this give and take scenario, the Forum management would be giving the public the opportunity to vote on who will help run their forum. Because, it is "their" forum as much as it is the owners forum. This trial need only be done once to determine how successful it is. If it is a disaster then atleast people will see it's not the answer to this aggression. If it is successful then we may be on to a happier environment.

I don't believe (unless it was years ago) that this has been tried and tested before. What harm is there in trying this system to see if it is effective?

A little bit of give and take goes a long way to improving public-staff relations. Before people immediately shoot this down, please give it an ounce of consideration for the sake of this community.

P.S. In relation to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=209&t=195311&start=15 the answer was "afkorse" - if you search it you find it links one account on this forum which is Hellboy! Like I said... READ and IDENTIFY! =D>
Image ImageImageImage
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Re: Try a Mod vote system

Sounds fine to me except I know pretty much no one would vote. People just wanna complain and moan when they break the rules and are warned. When given the chance to actually enact the actual change they always complain they want, they don't actually do anything.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Might be worth a try...at least we would see who cares and who doesn't or is simply fine with how are things.
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Empy wrote:Sounds fine to me except I know pretty much no one would vote. People just wanna complain and moan when they break the rules and are warned. When given the chance to actually enact the actual change they always complain they want, they don't actually do anything.
I agree, but if the forum was to give the public this opportunity and those that normally voice themselves to such a degree do not participate in this then they would publicly be showing that they do not actually care for what they preach. If they do participate then it could lead this forum to a better community.

There's basically one of two ways this system could end in, but I think it's worth the risk.
Image ImageImageImage
borg
Forum Irregular

P.S. In relation to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=209&t=195311&start=15 the answer was "afkorse" - if you search it you find it links one account on this forum which is Hellboy! Like I said... READ and IDENTIFY!

thnkx clarkey
Last edited by borg on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

no.. most are already selected because of who they are friends with, not on their ability to mod fairly ect.

The mods have finally succeeded in driving ppl of here so should be proud of themselves.. it is truely their forum now..
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

@femme, it disappoints me that the first user to post in this thread (with the exception of borg who replied to something else) shoots this suggestion down immediately because of bad blood. Let's look at your response first.

fem fatale wrote:no.. most are already selected because of who they are friends with, not on their ability to mod fairly ect.
Please explain, in a process like this, how a user who has not been a moderator on this forum before can be selected based on there "ability to mod fairly"? I am not denying, nor am I confirming, that Mods are selected based on who they are friends with. What I am saying is that people cannot be selected based on their ability to mod fairly when they have not had the opportunity as of yet to show their ability to mod fairly.

You seem to indicate that the majority of current and past mods have been selected by the staff due to who they are friends with, yet you immediately reject a suggestion to change this and open Mod selection to the public?

fem fatale wrote:The mods have finally succeeded in driving ppl of here so should be proud of themselves.. it is truely their forum now..
I fear that you are giving me the impression that you are the type of person that Empy stated in his earlier post. You are not willing to accept any suggestion of change even if there's a chance it will help fix problems that you have an issue with.

It disappoints me that you are not willing to give any suggestion a chance because your opinion on this forum is set in stone.

It is this "set-in-stone opinion" attitude that will keep me away from these forums.
Image ImageImageImage
~wolverine~
Forum Addict

I thought you said you werent coming back after yesterday :P
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

~Wolverine~ wrote:I thought you said you werent coming back after yesterday :P
Thought i'd put this suggestion forward and see how it goes, but that's as far as my involvement goes. The first public user reaction to my suggestion has pushed me towards the door again...
Image ImageImageImage
~wolverine~
Forum Addict

Clarkey wrote:
~Wolverine~ wrote:I thought you said you werent coming back after yesterday :P
Thought i'd put this suggestion forward and see how it goes, but that's as far as my involvement goes. The first public user reaction to my suggestion has pushed me towards the door again...

awww bless you, your loved here haha :P
Bromas
Forum Addict
ID: 97472
Alternate name(s): ~HydroFlux™~, Reinhardt

fem fatale wrote:no.. most are already selected because of who they are friends with, not on their ability to mod fairly ect.

The mods have finally succeeded in driving ppl of here so should be proud of themselves.. it is truely their forum now..

I would have driven a different set of people from here... *Cough*

I completely disagree with the first part anyway, the things I have said to Eary and SS (2/3 of the admins when I became a mod) it was clearly because they thought I had matured or something, if the forum was as corrupt as you think it is then they wouldn't have let me become a mod. Zeratul I had NEVAR spoken too before.

I would love to see Clarkeys suggestion implemented. *Thumbs up*
Psyko
The Irresistible

I think this idea shows promise. It has my support, though I am leery when it comes to voting on forum changes.

Given the fact that Mods tend to be the most active members of the forum, there is potential for the perspective to be that the Mods pushed a change into being by taking over the votes. If there aren't a lot of users who vote for/against something, it is really difficult to say the community has spoken.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Rudy Peña
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Wrath of Achilles

fem fatale wrote:no.. most are already selected because of who they are friends with, not on their ability to mod fairly ect..

It would be the same as voting. All of DDE vote for a few people in dde, TAF vote for a few people in TAF. Same with OE,TL,HVE.

So infact your logic is dumb and not worthy of being a post, as im sure none of the people all of DDE/TAF/OE/HVE/TL voted in from there empire/alliance are not able to mod fairly as you say.

Just saying...
Spoiler
R0B3RT wrote: you are like my wife
you never loose :smt101
Spoiler
Field Marshall wrote:I don't think there is a single member ingame that could take on the lion at the moment. Not a single person...
I'm a brown nose. Sue me.
DaDigi
Forum Elder
Alliance: I hate all equally
Race: Tri-athalon
ID: 46811

Administrators should be chosen by Jason, based on their forum technical experience and ability to lead and make things work.

Global Moderators should be chosen by the Administrators, based on their moderation experience.

Moderators should be recommended by the GMs, and okay'd by the Administrators. Users would be recommended based upon how active and knowledgeable they are about their respective section(s).

Ombudsman is the link between the public and the forum staff, as voted on by the users.

We, the community, are a direct creation of the SGW developer, Jason. It should be a top-down process and have a clear hierarchy. Stop making this about who's friends are who's. I'm nobody's friend. In my 7 years here, I've spoken to 3 people on a regular basis. I've made my fair share of enemies, and barely any friends. Yet, here I am. I had a desire to give back to the game which provided me years of entertainment, and here I am.

tl;dr, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
DaDigi
Former Moderator for Market & Suggestions/Reports
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

DaDigi wrote:Administrators should be chosen by Jason, based on their forum technical experience and ability to lead and make things work.

Global Moderators should be chosen by the Administrators, based on their moderation experience.

Moderators should be recommended by the GMs, and okay'd by the Administrators. Users would be recommended based upon how active and knowledgeable they are about their respective section(s).

Ombudsman is the link between the public and the forum staff, as voted on by the users.

We, the community, are a direct creation of the SGW developer, Jason. It should be a top-down process and have a clear hierarchy. Stop making this about who's friends are who's. I'm nobody's friend. In my 7 years here, I've spoken to 3 people on a regular basis. I've made my fair share of enemies, and barely any friends. Yet, here I am. I had a desire to give back to the game which provided me years of entertainment, and here I am.

tl;dr, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
100% agreed with this. (Though I speak with many more.)

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”