Is fracking okay to use?

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

Is fracking okay to use?

Just curious - figured this was the best place to ask.

To me its a blatant attempt to use a certain f word, and so should be considered masking at the least....?
buck
The Main Event
Race: Degenerate
ID: 16843

Honours and Awards

Re: Is fracking okay to use?

RepliMagni wrote:Just curious - figured this was the best place to ask.

To me its a blatant attempt to use a certain f word, and so should be considered masking at the least....?

Hmm.

Fracking.

It was used in the original battlestar gallactica because it was pre watershed viewing, as a cover up to a swear word...

...But it has since become its own word, Such as, Instead of saying "Shi..t" Someone would say, "Shine a light" . I dont know, TBH.

We shall disscuss it more, I open the table....
Spoiler
2006 -
Poster of the Year
2007 -
Runner up signature of the Year
Runner up most improved player of the Year
Runner up hero of the Year
Alliance war of the year (CIA vs COP)
2008-
Hall of Fame
2009-
Runner up Hero of the Year
2010-
Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Tekki)
Runner up Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Darthudd)

Noteworthy alliances-
Omega
Mayhem
Radical Minority
Nemesis Sect
Warlords of Briton

Previous affiliations-
TL
Ricos
DDE
The Tok'ra
The OOC
The SLA

Missed and dear friends -
Too Many to count, but never forgotten.
Code:
"Now I Don't like you, I don't respect you, and I sure as hell don't fear you. But seeing how your standing in the middle of my yard, I will break you."
pianomutt20000
Forum Zombie
Race: Tauri
ID: 0

buck wrote:
RepliMagni wrote:Just curious - figured this was the best place to ask.

Hmm.

Fracking.

It was used in the original battlestar gallactica because it was pre watershed viewing, as a cover up to a swear word...

...But it has since become its own word, Such as, Instead of saying "Shi..t" Someone would say, "Shine a light" . I dont know, TBH.

We shall disscuss it more, I open the table....

I'd steer towards the opinion that it's from a scifi show, and i just don't consider it swearing.

But, the argument could be made that it is.

Most Perplexing.
urban assault wrote: Bill? Hey, I said I was kidding! Bill, don't push that red button!
Sometimes some of the mods will try to step on you, or even mod your section. My advice is to fill a sock with marbles and hit them repeatedly until they stop. - Pianomutt2000.
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

I don't personally consider it to be against the rules.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
ramen07
Forum Expert
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects
Race: Paisano

im my opinion, its just like using freaking or fricking. both not swearing in my book
Jack wrote:That's the General folk for ya, always serious with a stick shoved up their ass
General Riviera wrote:You should stop being a spoon, read the forum rules and abide by the them. At least if you choose not to, learn how to break the rules in style.
pianomutt20000
Forum Zombie
Race: Tauri

ramen07 wrote:im my opinion, its just like using freaking or fricking. both not swearing in my book

How about friggin.....when i say it...it's to try and change my habit of cursing like a marine lol. So i mean it as a curse word :P

(Not in this instance though) "insert rear covering disclaimer"
urban assault wrote: Bill? Hey, I said I was kidding! Bill, don't push that red button!
Sometimes some of the mods will try to step on you, or even mod your section. My advice is to fill a sock with marbles and hit them repeatedly until they stop. - Pianomutt2000.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

If we're going to start modding people because they used a word in replace for a "banned word", then we might as well go ahead and shut down the forums, because such modding will get ridiculously heavy handed, and there will be an assload of people trying to get another banned over something retarded. :roll:

On a side note, this has already been discussed, and it has been decided BY THE ADMINS that the word is ok.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

it is, as buck said, a word in itself, so we think it should be ok... we've not seen the show, it is from, but we accept others' word that its a separate word there...

also, since it is a separate word, using it isnt really masking... in addition, even if it might be used as (part of) an insult, banning all words usable as insults, is for practical purposes impossible...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

Thanks for all the quick replies guys :-)

I see exactly what you mean, especially by the examples of freaking, etc. But I thought one of the critera was what you would say infront of your grandparents - pretty sure mine would get angry that I was trying to cover for saying the f word.

Anyway, sorry Jack I didn't realise this had been discussed before :(
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

RepliMagni wrote:Anyway, sorry Jack I didn't realise this had been discussed before :(

Of course not, it was discussed in the mod section last month. My comment was not aimed at you, but at the mods, admin and Omnibeerman. Sorry for teh confusion.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

RepliMagni wrote:But I thought one of the critera was what you would say infront of your grandparents - pretty sure mine would get angry that I was trying to cover for saying the f word.

that would be a case of misunderstanding, and it would be relatively easy to explain... besides... when would you have need of saying such in front of your grandparents? (also, some grandparents would have no trouble understanding the background for such word, we're quite sure we know of at least one)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
ramen07
Forum Expert
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects
Race: Paisano

pianomutt20000 wrote:
ramen07 wrote:im my opinion, its just like using freaking or fricking. both not swearing in my book

How about friggin.....when i say it...it's to try and change my habit of cursing like a marine lol. So i mean it as a curse word :P

(Not in this instance though) "insert rear covering disclaimer"

i do the same :D
its kinda funny when i use friggin to not drop the f bomb but my parents think "crap" and "flippin" are swearing :lol:
Jack wrote:That's the General folk for ya, always serious with a stick shoved up their ass
General Riviera wrote:You should stop being a spoon, read the forum rules and abide by the them. At least if you choose not to, learn how to break the rules in style.

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”