Why does Religious music get such a bad rep? (? U Fav Music)

A place to discuss the music we listen to, mass to, or are looking for a greater appreciation of.
Medicus Atrum
Forum Grunt
Alliance: Novus Orsa
Race: Goa'uld
ID: 0

Why does Religious music get such a bad rep? (? U Fav Music)

If you want to skip my slight rant, just skip to the bottom and we can talk muzik. :P

Now, Believe me when I say I don't want this to be some stupid thread with low-life (if any life) idiots responding, Let's keep it buisness-like folks, act your age.

[spoiler]For example in reference to this thread's subject.

Now; I, myself, am a Christian, and I'm not ashamed to say so. (Good for me, right?) And I'm not some freak who only listens to Christian, all-the-time-non-stop-praise-God-twenty-four-seven, now don't take that wrong, I like my Christian music, and it's your choice to listen to whatever music you want, some people actually like Amy Winehouse, so good for you!
But! I thoink there is quite a bit of music that is soo outstanding, that even the most devout Amish couldn't deny the fact of it's greatness. Before or after Rumshpringah*? You decide. Either way, you get my point.
Now that I've argued one side, let my flip the tables.

There are alot---and I mean alot---of great music created by Christian artists. Either a Christian Band, or a Band-of-Christians, Many-a-group has had several top-rated songs.

Which leads me to the real question: If Christians (or any one of any Religion) can enjoy music done by non-religious artists (or artist who don't focus their music on their faith), Why can't most people without a major faith (Poor choice of words, altough I'm quite tired, and have lost some basic, low-level brain function, due to lack-of-sleap) listen, or even just appreciate music created by artists of a certain faith or religion?

For instence, I once knew a bloake who was a hard-core-mosh-pitting-head-banging-son-of-a-gun fan of the group Underoath, but when I told him they were Christians, he lost interest. Not because their music had changed, not because they switched frontmen, not even because something like they broke up. No, He stopped listening to them because they were Christians.

Now, him being my friend, I wasn't just going to call him a biggot and walk away, no, I was above that, that-... Childish antic. (Not that I'm better then him in any way, It's just I felt he had a very closed mind on the issue) and even though he knew that I was a christian, and I knew of his dislike for the music created by christian artist, we remained friends, and we're still friends to this day.[/spoiler]

So! Now that I've finished my rant, on to the real subject. :D

Does anyone here listen to any Christian music? Or have any of you been surprized to find out a band you liked was christian? (U2 for instence.)

My favorite bands in the genre are:
1) Skillet.
2) Underoath.
3) tobyMac.
4) TFK. (Thousand Foot Krutch)
5) Family Force 5.
6) P.O.D.
7) RED.
8,)** Switchfoot.
9) RelientK.
10) Fireflight.
(11) Flyleaf.)

*~{I have absolutly zero idea how to spell that word.)
**~{I had to add in a comma (,) because it would have turned out like this: 8) )
~Medicus Atrum__
~Nos Inducas Ex Caelo Et Libera Nos In Malo~
Philemon40
Fledgling Forumer
Race: Tollan
ID: 84345

Re: Why does Religious music get such a bad rep? (? U Fav Music)

I'm with you on this. I love this stuff.

Tacet
Forum Regular
Alliance: T I T A N S
ID: 84055

I prefer to be able to recognize the words of songs... :-P

Hillsong U
Casting Crowns
M.W. Smith
Mercy Me..

I've recently stumbled across a tobyMac song that was on a WOW cd somewhere - was quite good.
xXxsephirothxXx
One Winged Angel
Alliance: [DxM]
Race: Ancients
ID: 1918259

Skillets - Whispers in the Dark is good :)
Pain and Death is the cost of Fun! ~Zaraki Kenpachi 8)
Talking as a Mod
Medicus Atrum
Forum Grunt

Skillet is great, Saw them in cooncert a few months back. They're actually better live. Which is amazing in an era of music that's been edited, tweaked or synthesized.
~Medicus Atrum__
Buying A Account
Fledgling Forumer

music is music, if it has abd rep, it's their fault :-)
szadek
Forum Newbie
Alliance: FU and Them
Race: Ancient
ID: 1905358

I dislike many religious bands because they use religion as a means of promoting themselves, rather than using good music to promote themselves. Thus, you end up with many generic and boring bands getting very famous in certain circles due to something that has nothing to do with talent.
Medicus Atrum
Forum Grunt

szadek wrote:I dislike many religious bands because they use religion as a means of promoting themselves, rather than using good music to promote themselves. Thus, you end up with many generic and boring bands getting very famous in certain circles due to something that has nothing to do with talent.

Umm, Not really. (for the most part)
Many bands have tried to start out saying they will only do christian music, then try to luanch themselves into mainstream, failing horribly, not because they might have sucked, but because the lost all their fans for not remaining faithful.
Also, refuring to your "very famous in certain circles". You can say that about preaty much any type of music. While Metalica can be huge with Metalheads, It might not be the same story with, say, Michael Buble fans. Or vice versa. And in the same sense, Paris Hilton is considered a Celeberty, yet she has no skill in anything. No, Paris, It's not Hot. -_-;

Anyway, I understand you my find some music boring, I find trucker music to be death with syncopated lyrics. *sigh*

Bathazor wrote:music is music, if it has abd rep, it's their fault :-)

A rep is perception, perception is formed by general thought, general thought is created by what you see, and what you see is formed by what you've been shown, and what you've been shown depends on what the they want to be displayed, weither it be what they are, what they were, what they will become, or that of which they are not.
Gives you something to chew on for a bit. ;)
~Medicus Atrum__
ramen07
Forum Expert
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects
Race: Paisano

i love christian rock bands. skillet (rebirthing FTW!!), disciple, demon hunter, TFK, seventh avenue, tobymac, and last but should be first, FIVE IRON FRENZY!!

edit: why did you choose philemon 40?
Jack wrote:That's the General folk for ya, always serious with a stick shoved up their ass
General Riviera wrote:You should stop being a spoon, read the forum rules and abide by the them. At least if you choose not to, learn how to break the rules in style.
Darth Optimus
Forum Expert
Race: Ancient

Man P.O.D. and Flyleaf are Christian bands who knew I know I didn't. But who cares I still like them. Guess that shows me that anybody can make good music even if its about God. But then I really don't care about what the lyrics are about as long as the song is good. Cause I though the only Christian song I knew was "This little light of Mine".
Philemon40
Fledgling Forumer
Race: Tollan
ID: 84345

ramen07 wrote:edit: why did you choose philemon 40?

hehehehe. I had to have a 2 digit number in my username once for a website. it just stuck I guess. Philemon6 was my first choice.

Solus
WAR POPE

Honours and Awards

i love my metal music here.... good thing i found some great christian metal acts :P (btw im christian too)

-As I Lay Dying*
-Norma Jean
-Living Sacrifice
-Demon Hunter
-Killswitch Engage**
-Haste The Day***
-Underoath
-Still Remains****
-The Devil Wears Prada
-Torniquet
-Nodes Of Ranvier*****

[spoiler]* christian members, not christianity focused music

** early days, the vocalist until the end of the 2nd album was a guy called jesse david leach. listen to the lyrics of some songs on their debut album and you'll see.....

*** seen them live and they openly talk of their faith :P *thumbs up*

**** seen live also

***** not entirely sure if they are but heh theyre good.[/spoiler]

and it does frustrate that people choose not to listen to good music just because its a christian band or song. i'd have missed out on some good music if i never started with these christian bands.
Slim87R wrote:I think your Solus is showing.
Spoiler
Juliette wrote:Glory to the Solus.
Psyko wrote:You sick and twisted little Sol, you. :smt047 :smt049
Malx wrote:
Noobert wrote:I love when Solus posts. It brightens my day because of how awesome he is.
+1
Eärendil wrote:
SuperSaiyan wrote:
Eärendil wrote:Making fun of SS in his face
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:Punching SS in his face
its ok, you both love me more then existence itself anyway
No, No I don't.
I love Solus.
And I even love Canadian Bacon more than you.
Radiance wrote:Oh my marriage-consummating deity.. that was awesome. :shock:
(F)(¯`• (F)¸·´¯)«§müg»™(¯`·¸(F) •´¯)(F) says (5:38 PM):
*who is solus?
Chris/Deviathan[EVE Online] says (5:38 PM):
*solus is god
*and he touches us all with his noodly appendage
[BoT] Eärendil :: Matt says (5:38 PM):
*solus is... better than raptor jesus
SuperSaiyan - Pirate says (10:25 PM):
*solus is out for blood Image
ramen07
Forum Expert
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects
Race: Paisano

agreed soulless. i had the chance to see DWP live but i couldnt :smt022
Jack wrote:That's the General folk for ya, always serious with a stick shoved up their ass
General Riviera wrote:You should stop being a spoon, read the forum rules and abide by the them. At least if you choose not to, learn how to break the rules in style.
Solus
WAR POPE

Honours and Awards

ramen07 wrote:agreed soulless. i had the chance to see DWP live but i couldnt :smt022

same. that and i didnt have the money.... couldnt possibly.... and college plays weird little games with my mind.....
Slim87R wrote:I think your Solus is showing.
Spoiler
Juliette wrote:Glory to the Solus.
Psyko wrote:You sick and twisted little Sol, you. :smt047 :smt049
Malx wrote:
Noobert wrote:I love when Solus posts. It brightens my day because of how awesome he is.
+1
Eärendil wrote:
SuperSaiyan wrote:
Eärendil wrote:Making fun of SS in his face
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:Punching SS in his face
its ok, you both love me more then existence itself anyway
No, No I don't.
I love Solus.
And I even love Canadian Bacon more than you.
Radiance wrote:Oh my marriage-consummating deity.. that was awesome. :shock:
(F)(¯`• (F)¸·´¯)«§müg»™(¯`·¸(F) •´¯)(F) says (5:38 PM):
*who is solus?
Chris/Deviathan[EVE Online] says (5:38 PM):
*solus is god
*and he touches us all with his noodly appendage
[BoT] Eärendil :: Matt says (5:38 PM):
*solus is... better than raptor jesus
SuperSaiyan - Pirate says (10:25 PM):
*solus is out for blood Image
Deaths_Rider
Forum Regular

i for a long time ignored christian bands mainly because all the christian music i heard and that was a lot was soft rock and pop with the odd happy punk band thrown in none of which appealed to me but that is what most christian radio stations churches ect will promot i'd never heard a thing about christian Death Metal untill i became a death metal fan and stumbled on to it by accident since then i've found a lot of good stuff but also some stuff that has been made by christians that don't know the genre but want to use it for evangelism and it ends up sounding real bad that would be why it gets a bad name as far as i know
Flow with it

Death is not the end but only the begining

Return to “Music”