Corruption in the world

Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Corruption in the world

From Transparency International published in Le Monde, french newspaper.

Not surprising, Italy and Greece happen to be the two bad students of the "EU of 15" (shows how big is the problem for these two nations). Eastern Europe is concerned too.
Not surprising either to see nations like Venezuela, North Korea, Myanmar, Somalia, Cuba and former USSR republics of central Asia and many regimes from Africa to be among the most corrupt nations. However, it seems that Russia's fighting policy against corruption of the early 2000s seem to have disappeared or at least isn't successful anymore.

One can notice exemplary nations like Botswana, Uruguay, Chile, Iceland. (outside of "Triad"*/Commonwealth nations who are most exemplary in this area). Rest of the world seem to be involved in corruption pretty much. Yellow= least corrupt nations. Red/Dark red: most corrupt nations.

What do you think?

* United States, Japan, Western Europe.
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

Re: Corruption in the world

LOL@Uk being amongst least corrupt nations!

If red=more corrupt than yellow, then UK needs to be a VERY dark red. in short, aside from the US, the UK is 1 of the most corrupt nations on the planet...

That's what i think of your chart!

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

*screams bias*
Bias Admin colour
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

[KMA]Avenger wrote:LOL@Uk being amongst least corrupt nations!

If red=more corrupt than yellow, then UK needs to be a VERY dark red. in short, aside from the US, the UK is 1 of the most corrupt nations on the planet...

Maybe because with your standards you consider UK to be corrupt, but did it cross your mind that their map doesn't mean that UK is barely corrupt in absolute terms, but compared to the average of corruption in the world with the criteria they use, countries in yellow and orange can be considered as examples (meaning they are much less corrupt but doesn't mean they aren't corrupt)?
Why would the red countries in this map be less corrupt than UK just because you consider UK to be corrupt? ;)
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
~Drunken Master~
Forum Regular
Race: Drunken

Every nation is just as corrupt as the next, the difference is that some nations corruption is out in the open while others are under the table..

One should not be afraid of nations that display corruption out in the open, one should be afraid of the nations that hide there corruption under the table..

At the end of the day, MAN is greedy no matter what there skin colour is or what religion they follow.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

~BrunoDaOzzy~ wrote:Every nation is just as corrupt as the next, the difference is that some nations corruption is out in the open while others are under the table..

One should not be afraid of nations that display corruption out in the open, one should be afraid of the nations that hide there corruption under the table..

At the end of the day, MAN is greedy no matter what there skin colour is or what religion they follow.

This kind of argument would be very popular among the red/dark red listed nations' leaders. That's even probably one of the arguments they would use to defend their actions and protest against their classification, to justify their actions instead of avoiding them.
Last edited by Legendary Apophis on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler

Spoiler
~Drunken Master~
Forum Regular
Race: Drunken

Legendary Apophis wrote:
~BrunoDaOzzy~ wrote:Every nation is just as corrupt as the next, the difference is that some nations corruption is out in the open while others are under the table..

This kind of argument would be very popular among the red/dark red listed nations' leaders. That's even probably one of the arguments they would use to defend their actions and protest against their classification.

Mate, it is 100% true...

Give me 1 nation that is NOT corrupt...
Spoiler
Spoiler
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

Legendary Apophis wrote:

Maybe because with your standards you consider UK to be corrupt, but did it cross your mind that their map doesn't mean that UK is barely corrupt in absolute terms, but compared to the average of corruption in the world with the criteria they use, countries in yellow and orange can be considered as examples (meaning they are much less corrupt but doesn't mean they aren't corrupt)?
Why would the red countries in this map be less corrupt than UK just because you consider UK to be corrupt? ;)

Yes Jim, that all occurred to me, BUT the city of London (the UK's financial centre) along with Wall Street and the central banks engineered the financial mess the world is in.

The UK is at the heart of most of the corruption in the world, including using the US as the UK's military muscle.

-David Icke
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

~BrunoDaOzzy~ wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:

This kind of argument would be very popular among the red/dark red listed nations' leaders. That's even probably one of the arguments they would use to defend their actions and protest against their classification.

Mate, it is 100% true...

Give me 1 nation that is NOT corrupt...

As I said, this map isn't about which nation is 100% free of corruption, but which nations are more involved into corruption activities than others. Thus the difference of color, and why no nation is "white" (absence of corruption). Belittling corruption of red nations to highlight fact the yellow ones also have corruption, is indeed a probable argument of defense from the red color nations' leaders. I don't see the point to use that argument, but oh well..

[KMA]Avenger wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:

Yes Jim, that all occurred to me, BUT the city of London (the UK's financial centre) along with Wall Street and the central banks engineered the financial mess the world is in.

The UK is at the heart of most of the corruption in the world, including using the US as the UK's military muscle.

I believe this map isn't about the financial markets transactions but different scales of nations' corruption. (politicians, administrations..)
If it was about money-hiding, I believe Switzerland wouldn't have same color lol.
Spoiler

Spoiler
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

I see what your saying, and it goes without saying that banks and bankers wouldn't have been able to do what they have done if politicians hadn't also been involved from the start being bought and paid for by lobbyists working for the bankers to remove all the banking regulations that were put in place as safe guards after the great depression of the 20's and 30's...

My point being, that as the financial capital of the world, the city of London is as corrupt as hell and that chart should show the UK as a red not a yellow.

-David Icke
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

I guess none of you actually understand the charts presented. They are not representative of factual corruption, but PERCEIVED corruption. Perception doesn't dictate reality.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Wikipedia article about CPI wrote:The CPI measures perception of corruption due to the difficulty of measuring absolute levels of corruption.

That's what I said, it's not about absolute levels of corruption. Too much of a problem to quantify it on absolute exact levels.
Now probably that this perception system isn't perfect, but I'm sure the above map is not so unlikely to display close-to-reality situation.
Spoiler

Spoiler
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
ID: 81691

Figures like these always make me laugh, what the hell are they based on ?

The only corruption that can be reported as fact are the ones that got caught and proved in a court of law, the rest is just speculation. So are the 'more corrupt' nations listed just places where you are more likely to be caught, or do the 'less corruption' nations have laws that permit corruption or make it harder to prove ?

What definition of corruption is used ? Are we talking bribes, or are we including self interest and lobbying ?

IMO the nations listed as 'more corrupt' are simply more overt about it, and those listed as 'less corrupt' are just better at hiding it or doing it within legal loopholes. The old adage that power corrupts is universal and still holds true.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254