Suicide

[BoT] Jason
Forum History
Alliance: TA
Race: DIEDAYDIEDAY
ID: 13003152
Alternate name(s): Pimp,Slenderman

Suicide

Suicide (Latin suicidium, from sui caedere, "to kill oneself")

The cowards way out or the only escape from a world of despair?

After seeing two recent posts in General (Each leaning to opposite spectrum's of opinion) I decided to see what the public's opinion is on the matter?

Are we on the belief that it is never an option? Or that in some cases it is the only solution?

Discuss
Pimping

Feb 06, 06:16 Field Marshall Attack defended 15 88,977,968 0 x,x62,635,278,400 900,114 details

| | Hero of the Year | |

Winner: BMMJ13
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Re: Suicide

[BoT] Jason wrote:Suicide (Latin suicidium, from sui caedere, "to kill oneself")

The cowards way out or the only escape from a world of despair?

After seeing two recent posts in General (Each leaning to opposite spectrum's of opinion) I decided to see what the public's opinion is on the matter?

Are we on the belief that it is never an option? Or that in some cases it is the only solution?

Discuss

I'm going to focus on euthanasia as a reasoning for suicide and being the only sensible reason for suicide. I don't think in truth that anybody has a reason to escape life because of any other reason and believe it is a cowards way out. However, I have never been in this position so I am not suitable qualified to give an objective opinion.

In the UK at least, it will be some time before euthanasia is not illegal. We have people of faith in high positions within goverment and the legal system who will never allow this to happen.

Personally, I think that it is disgusting in cases where we are unable to help them live to a basic standard of quality, yet we allow them to suffer where they would obviously rather not feel anything.
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?

I think this is sig worthy in fact.
:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

I would say the euthanasia issue is controversial, on the one hand some would say it is a "gift" to let a person go and avoid her/him to suffer and/or be a zero-brain activity coma person, but on the other hand, faith/religion and also several examples of miracles backing the against side, would say euthanasia might prevent a person from coming back.
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Eärendil wrote:I'm all for letting people decide what they want to do with their life.

At the same time, only those who are selfish take their own lives*

*for a 'normal/healthy' individual.
This is my opinion as well.

Theologically (which religion - all Abrahamic anyway) suicide is a mortal sin, so you will burn in eternal Hellfire (I miss that guy), but what gives.. if you do not believe in that, you will either be dead (if you are right) or sorry (if they are right). :-D
Last edited by Juliette on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tek
Forum Elite
Alliance: Leaf Village
Race: A Village person
ID: 0

Legendary Apophis wrote:I would say the euthanasia issue is controversial, on the one hand some would say it is a "gift" to let a person go and avoid her/him to suffer and/or be a zero-brain activity coma person, but on the other hand, faith/religion and also several examples of miracles backing the against side, would say euthanasia might prevent a person from coming back.

To argue against euthanasia on the grounds of miracles is to argue against getting a job on the grounds of a lotto win.
"This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this. But I AM your King."

Decimus Tek (Main ID:1917687)
War. War Never Changes.
Spoiler

Hows my driving? Contact
Gloriousbarstard@hotmail.com
Drought
Forum Expert

People should be free to choose whatever the hell they like :)
a very bad hairdo
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Tek wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:I would say the euthanasia issue is controversial, on the one hand some would say it is a "gift" to let a person go and avoid her/him to suffer and/or be a zero-brain activity coma person, but on the other hand, faith/religion and also several examples of miracles backing the against side, would say euthanasia might prevent a person from coming back.

To argue against euthanasia on the grounds of miracles is to argue against getting a job on the grounds of a lotto win.

Oh it's not only that, it's also "who has the right to end someone's life?", would it be the person who is in the situation who should have told in advance what they want in this case, and what if their family disagrees with use or lack of use of euthanasia?
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Sinister~
Forum Irregular
Alliance: ~RiCoS_Symbiotes~
ID: 81691

Its never the solution, i think its selfish
harchester
Forum History
Alliance: Ricos Roughnecks

who cares let them fall from grace :-)
Even if you hear a bad story about me, Understand that there was a time I was good to those people to, But they won’t tell you that...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

harchester wrote:who cares let them fall from grace :-)
The Death of Angels. Interesting book on the subject.
harchester
Forum History
Alliance: Ricos Roughnecks

Juliette wrote:
harchester wrote:who cares let them fall from grace :-)
The Death of Angels. Interesting book on the subject.

:-)
Even if you hear a bad story about me, Understand that there was a time I was good to those people to, But they won’t tell you that...
~Les Erebus~
Forum Addict
Alliance: TF
ID: 1907332

If you get to the point of no return and your actually sick enough to go through with it, then unfortunately there is probably no help for you..

We can"t decide rather it"s ok or not,(either way it"s not fair to anyone) and we can"t look at it with a religious point of view, no need have the fantasy of a Hell or a Dr. Seuss book..

IDK just my oppinion
philipbanks 2:41 PM

Man I can mass from right here in my shower and it feels nice

lesennemis 2:42 PM

stop using massing for non pure duties in the shower and yes i am quoting that
Hybrid36
Forum Grunt
Alliance: TÅTS
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 23589

They aren't thinking of the whole picture, nor considering the effect it has on the people around them. It's a selfish act of attention in a number of cases. Some maybe they truly believe a better life beyond and unfortunately they just can't be helped.

Most don't consider their children, friends, family and even just people they don't take much notice of. If they could see what it does after they have left, I'd bet every single one of them would endure the tough time they're going though and realise it gets better.

My father committed suicide and the effect it had on me and every one around me is more than you can imagine, even now 15 years later it still hits us sometimes.

They just need a hit of the bigger picture.

In saying that though, my father's suicide was of mental illness and depression.

Those that are in physical life long pain and disability would be suffering from a different train of thought in my opinion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
ID: 23589
ALLIANCE: TÅF-TÅTS
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Prior - Prophet - Messiah - Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG- AGL - IAG - TAG - PTAG - LTAG - QTAG - KTAG - GAG - TOE - TUS - TUN - TUK

Proud Australian
Psyko
The Irresistible

I am of the opinion that it is the choice of the individual how they want to leave this world of existence.

That said, I also think that it is high-handed of any individual to damn another for their actions. If you believe in a higher power/god, then you should stand back and let that deity (should they happen to exist) be the one to damn them. You don't have to condone a person's actions if you personally disagree with them, but you also do not need to be overly critical of, or cast judgement upon, someone if you do not know them or understand their situation.*

Suicide is a selfish act. That is, it is an act for the self. This may be controversial to say, but people should not be forced to suffer because someone else would be sad if they left them. It's selfish to force someone to continue to live in pain and distress to make yourself feel better. Sorry, but I disagree with the notion that you cannot make a personal decision based upon the selfish feelings/beliefs of another person. Yes, it hurts others for a long time when someone close commits suicide, but those same people need to consider the immediate unbearable pain of the person in question and stop putting their own wants/desires over the needs of that person.

As to all this euthanasia talk...typically those who "commit suicide" by euthanasia don't technically do so. It's called assisted suicide. It's similar to a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) request. The person could potentially live brain damaged, decrepit, alone, or hardly aware of their surroundings, or they could save their friends/family a lot of medical bills and emotional distress and make the choice to not live in such a way that makes them a burden on their loved ones.

Personally, I'm going to have someone shoot me (or something else) once I get too old and rickety to move/function like a normal human being.

*This is not a pointed comment at any member of this community, merely a general sentiment.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”