Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Re: Censorship of Educators

ربهالنوع wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:
ربهالنوع wrote:You cannot possibly want to argue state vs. government with me.
Well, each person keeps their own stance on the matter, then. I guess I'm fine with it.
In England, you have the Queen's Privy Council. In the Netherlands, the State Council (Raad van State), and their equivalents are present across all nations. They are static councils, part of the government that does not change. It is this government that always wins. ;)

Yes, that's more or less (more than less) what I meant by state. But for the "less", I also included the institutions existence, not their members but the institutions' existence (assembly, senate, state council...not their members but the institutions themselves).
Even the council members aren't the ones who necessarily win, but the council itself, if you see what I mean (not the individuals but the structure/the whole thing of each institution). Non-personal entities rather than people, that's my view of the matter.
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Legendary Apophis wrote:
ربهالنوع wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:
ربهالنوع wrote:You cannot possibly want to argue state vs. government with me.
Well, each person keeps their own stance on the matter, then. I guess I'm fine with it.
In England, you have the Queen's Privy Council. In the Netherlands, the State Council (Raad van State), and their equivalents are present across all nations. They are static councils, part of the government that does not change. It is this government that always wins. ;)
Yes, that's more or less (more than less) what I meant by state. But for the "less", I also included the institutions existence, not their members but the institutions' existence (assembly, senate, state council...not their members but the institutions themselves).
Even the council members aren't the ones who necessarily win, but the council itself. Non-personal entities rather than people, that's my view of the matter.
That makes enough sense for me not to outright disagree with it. ;)
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

I know it doesn't happen in the same country and isn't coming of the same level of hierarchy as Psyko talked about in the OP of the thread, but I think, even though it's a rather different matter, that it also falls under censorship. Except here, it's worse, as it's punishing to speak one of the two official languages of the country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -town.html
The school is on the boundary of a Flemish-speaking district and the French-speaking Belgian capital, where many of the children live.
One parent told Belgium’s VTM television news: 'It is an outrage to bring children into the argument over the linguistic divisions in this country.
'They speak French at home and at evenings and weekends with their friends.

Headteacher Mrs Vanhercke insisted it was important for all children to speak both Belgium’s languages.
She told VTM news: 'We do not see detention and a Flemish lesson as a punishment, more a way of encouraging children to learn to speak Flemish.'

Feuding between French and Flemish speakers in Belgium threatened to break the country apart last year when rival political factions were unable to form a government for almost 18 months.
Many Flemish nationalists are in favour of independence from the poorer French-speaking region of Wallonia in the south, which they claim they are supporting financially.
Belgium’s Flemish-speaking former education minister Pascal Smet sparked outrage two years ago by suggesting English should replace French as the second language taught to pupils in Flanders.
French-language newspaper Le Soir wrote at the time: 'This is astonishlgly arrogant. French speakers love their language and take great pride in it. They do not want everyone speaking either only Flemish or English.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1maXVpG7t

I have been a pupil myself, and I am sorry to say, but detention IS a punishment. This headteacher is talking nonsense to try to cover their decision.

People accuse nations like France, England but also other southern European states like Spain and Italy to be lazy at learning other languages, but there none of these are anywhere as near as negative regarding talking multiple languages: it's not even about being too lazy to learn others, but it's punished (come on let's cut the hypocrisy there, detention is punishment..) to talk one of the two official languages!
And I thought France educational system was involved into politics ideologies, I didn't know it could be so much more filled with it in Belgium...
What could be said about the italic part...a #-o would sum up a thousand words.
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

[spoiler2=Belgium is irrelevant.]It needs to be split in 4. (germanophone {Rheinprußia and Bleiberg-Welkenraat-Baelen in Northeastern province of Liège and Arelerland [city of Arlon and some of its nearby villages in Southeastern province of Belgian Luxembourg]}, dutchophone {Flanders}, francophone {Wallonia} and the 'European Capitol', Bruxelles.)

The germanophone region should be returned to Germany.
Flanders can survive on its own. It is an economically viable state.
Wallonia needs to attach itself to an existing nation to survive, being the economical backwater and penny-pit that it is, so it needs to join France. Germany would have been an economically more viable solution, but impractical given the Wallonian lazy-ass attitude towards language.
The European Capitol district would solve some of the EU's administrative issues.[/spoiler2]
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

I guess it would mean that there would be an exodus out of each region (mainly Flanders) given it would be based on languages, and thus all "bad apples" from each region (mainly Flanders) would be booted away directly/indirectly.
That'd be very bad news, in my opinion.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Legendary Apophis wrote:I guess it would mean that there would be an exodus out of each region (mainly Flanders) given it would be based on languages, and thus all "bad apples" from each region (mainly Flanders) would be booted away directly/indirectly.
That'd be very bad news, in my opinion.
It is very simple, and comes back to education. If you will not learn the language spoken in the area you work, you are an asocial a-participant of society. So yes, get the hell out. ;)
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
ID: 81691

ربهالنوع wrote:Belgium is irrelevant.]

lolz, I dont even like their chocolate, what else do they have

I feel some epic quotes coming on

Ellwood P. Cubberley - "Our schools are, in a sense, factories, in which the raw products (children) are to be shaped and fashioned into products to meet the various demands of life. The specifications for manufacturing come from the demands of twentieth-century civilization, and it is the business of the school to build its pupils according to the specifications laid down."

Oscar Wilde - "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."

Kevin Killion - "Education is unique among consumer products - when it fails to work as advertised, it's the customer that gets labelled as defective."

Albert Einstein - "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Mark Twain - "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Winston Churchill - "Schools have not necessarily much to do with education... they are mainly institutions of control, where basic habits must be inculcated in the young. Education is quite different and has little place in school."

Fact is nothing is new, schools have always been there for indoctrination, control, sorting, labeling and churning out people ready for roles society needs filled.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

I am not so sure that schools are really efficient in directing people where they should belong...
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Legendary Apophis wrote:I am not so sure that schools are really efficient in directing people where they should belong...
Read more than just the first quote. ;)
ramen07
Forum Expert
Alliance: Forgotten Prospects
Race: Paisano
ID: 0

Psyko wrote:I have no problem with a little regulation on what is taught in American classrooms today, but if you are going to legislate something that can/will alter school curriculum, it better be written in a clear and articulate manner. Not this completely FUBAR bill that was presented.

I agree. The bill looks like a SOPA for education; vaguely written for maximum control. :smt078
Jack wrote:That's the General folk for ya, always serious with a stick shoved up their ass
General Riviera wrote:You should stop being a spoon, read the forum rules and abide by the them. At least if you choose not to, learn how to break the rules in style.
Lithium
Forum Zombie
Alliance: The Pirate's Panties
Race: Pirate

a new form of Nazi, we teach what we want and censor what we think its not good for u, so u dear kid can be a good soldier and die for your country invading others.
Previously on GateWars Forum
The orgin of Guild
Spoiler
Lithium wrote:he was talkin bout me and remembering the days i was massing him wit one finger ;)
Guild wrote:is that the same finger you stick up your bum ? :smt060
Lithium wrote:no its the one who gave u life ;)
Field Marshall wrote:Lith put his finger up his bum and Guild arrived? :smt017
I wish that was genuinely true :)
Lithium wrote:oooo why there isnt any emo for this one , id have dropped of chair dead :smt042
MajorLeeHurts wrote:
Lithium wrote:oooo why there isnt any emo for this one , id have dropped of chair dead :smt042
Agreed that was the funnies **Filtered** ive read here!
Im sure JT is enjoying this thread , if he isnt hes in a coma !
Feedback Me
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=101259
Brdavs
Forum Elder
Alliance: The Legion
ID: 69113

I think its funny how people label public education as a "propaganda tool" and instead advocate private or home schooling...

As public plans are by necessity (usually) a collection of lowest common denominators in terms of wich value they're trying to imprint on the next generation. The private institutions are much more "custome tailored" to be attuned to what specifically a parent want's their kid to be imprintied with. By common logic that's more "invasive" than what goes on in public schools.

But ofc. every party has its view. For some peddlig evolution is a leftie propaganda agenda whilst for others catholoc schools are faith indoctrination centers.

All in all I'd argue that resonable control over education is important. Heck, a major factor for why the EU works is the methodical push to erradicate material that was excessively nationalist and hatefull towards other nations from classrooms in Europe. So that the next generation was unburdened by prejudices and hates of the old ones. Sure its "nazi like" for the brit mom that wanted to raise her jerry to hate them crouts cos its a family tradition and their sacred mission, but hey, I'm kinda glad that it turned out like it did personaly. War is too important for the generals and education of the young is too important to leave it completely to fickle parents. Some standards have to be set. Not only for math proficiency but for the neutral values the majority respect aswell. Cos you know, we live in a society together.

However considering this is Ari-friggin-zona we're talking about, it's prolly a move that will see ideas and ideals from private schooling system try to force their ways into the public system. Double the irony heh.
ImageImage For Rome!
Calibretto wrote: WIR SOLLEN *insert* AUSRADIEREN

Inserted part could be you!
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

**Filtered** political correctness **Filtered**!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/26/ ... zed-tests/

These people need to be insanity-checked by a doctor.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Psyko
The Irresistible

Legendary Apophis wrote:**Filtered** political correctness **Filtered**!

That list made me :lol:.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
ID: 81691

Psyko wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:**Filtered** political correctness **Filtered**!

That list made me :lol:.

Finally someone distilled insanity to it's purest form :smt043

Such BS I dont even know where to start commenting on it

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448