SGW 10 years old

Forum for all general ingame discussion.
J.S.
Forum Elite
Alliance: EPA
Race: Human
ID: 22325

Re: SGW 10 years old

Found this blast from the past

Back in my day, we massed you for disrespect!
AncientAnubis
Forum Elite
Race: System Lord
ID: 0

This place seems awfully empty compared to when I played.
Prior of the DDE
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: DARK DOMINIUM EMPIRE (D.D.E)
Race: DDE

AncientAnubis wrote:This place seems awfully empty compared to when I played.
The forums yes. Majority of active players boycott the forum community all together and many prefer the server live chats f.x the Skype channel.
Galaxia, Dominium Directum et Utile
Couzens wrote: man u DDE guys must have at least 5 of the top 10 MS's.
Tsundere
Forum Newbie
Race: Ascended
ID: 65341

Prior of the DDE wrote:
The forums yes. Majority of active players boycott the forum community all together and many prefer the server live chats f.x the Skype channel.

Whoa whoa whoa, whats this? How do I get in on this? Nobody tells me anything!
We make war that we may live in peace.
-Aristotle
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

J.S. wrote:
Psi Kiya Trist wrote:
J.S. wrote:I have a feeling that SGW is now 10 years old (or will be in the next few weeks)? Anyone fact check me on that one?
You did indeed preempt by a couple of weeks. February first is Launch day.
Hey Psi, how are you doing? :smt117

Mathlord - Ha, yeah we wasted so much time on this thing didn't we!!

-Bralor- - In terms of this game, you sir are a n00b of the highest order - 15 million ha I remember when 100,000 was a huge deal! And that makes me a n00b too of some of the people around here! :P

Just hit my Recruitment link from 2006 and this was the result J.S. is building an army of Tauri and now has 15,203,776 in their war machine.
Hi.

From when I started 4000 was the high unit count.
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
Mental
Forum Elite
Alliance: [ THE DARK DOMINIUM™]
Race: ~Da Bait~
ID: 55247
Alternate name(s): Melting Pot of Friendship.

I remember when it was all fields round here.
Spoiler
[14:42:10] The Anti Christ: Now I know what harch feels like
[20:15:16] Duderanch: Ben filled me up :P
[14:14] CC Leader: harriet harmon is a freak in bed
[01:42:08] The Anti Christ: Mental is my hero, I wish I was more like him
Ra
Sun God
ID: 10085

Clockwork wrote:
Mathlord wrote:
teesdale wrote:
Mathlord wrote:
Besides, I dare anyone to find a game with better politics.
pokemon
zelda
mario bros
hannah montana: diva princess Wii exclusive

need i say more?
Cute. I'm serious though. We now have a decade of alliances, pacts, secret treaties and agendas, back channel diplomacy, spying, sabotage, grand galactic warfare and tiny personal vendettas. The maneuvering that has happened behind the scenes over the years has been fascinating.

EvE, rich history of alliances, pacts, secret treaties, agendas, back channel trickery, spying, sabotage, etc etc. almost a year ago a particularly nice battle netted ~$300k worth of real money losses (in resources / ships / stations etcetc). Ofc, its not a browser game, but a game all the same.

SGW does seem to have done well in the grand scheme of things, survived long past its original namesake.
Not really, the game has nothing to do with Stargate. It's survived as assorted space words and large numbers, just another war game.
Death is the Road to Awe

Prior of the DDE
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: DARK DOMINIUM EMPIRE (D.D.E)
Race: DDE

Tsundere wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa, whats this? How do I get in on this? Nobody tells me anything!
We heard you were a lousy drunk so we did not bother inviting you. :smt025
Galaxia, Dominium Directum et Utile
Couzens wrote: man u DDE guys must have at least 5 of the top 10 MS's.
Tsundere
Forum Newbie
Race: Ascended
ID: 65341

You got the wrong guy! I moved on to bigger and better things! :smt033

Haha cheers
We make war that we may live in peace.
-Aristotle
J.S.
Forum Elite
Alliance: EPA
Race: Human
ID: 22325

Prior of the DDE wrote:
Yeah I was never really into the chat thing myself, mostly because I used to log in from work, and if I got busy I'd miss out on a lot of things. Whereas the forums allowed me to catch up. I guess if there was some kind of "Game News", it would have been better.

We did have a Teamspeak channel tho for wars, and they were a lot of fun, heck we even had the other side on them!!

Skype channel??? What's the craic with that?
Back in my day, we massed you for disrespect!
Ra
Sun God

Holy **Filtered**, AA. Yea, games pretty dead.
Death is the Road to Awe

AncientAnubis
Forum Elite

Ra wrote:
Good lord, you're still here too? Just need Esker to show up and it'll be like a family reunion.
Clockwork wrote:EvE, rich history of alliances, pacts, secret treaties, agendas, back channel trickery, spying, sabotage, etc etc. almost a year ago a particularly nice battle netted ~$300k worth of real money losses (in resources / ships / stations etcetc). Ofc, its not a browser game, but a game all the same.

SGW does seem to have done well in the grand scheme of things, survived long past its original namesake.
I happened upon SGW because I was into the show and between that and the big personalities on the forums it sorta took on a life of its own. I mean back in the day Ra and I legitimately acted the part of the System Lords and the whole thing was a lot of fun beyond just seeing your numbers in your browser grow.

At some point it started to lose that part of its personality (for me anyway) and toward the end of my run I ended up leaving for Eve. I was actually part of that massive fight in B-R last year and have been a part of most of the huge wars over the past few years. Eve was as close to an SGW with graphics as I could get at the time, so that was the original appeal in all honesty.
Clockwork
The Ablest Man
Alliance: Multiverse
Race: Clockwork Admin
ID: 1940718

Ra wrote:
Meh, people have been saying the games dead or dyeing since I can remember, yet here we all are, still having fun and getting ready for the 10 year party. People come and go, but there's always somebody around to cause trouble, a lot of old names have been coming back recently and I imagine that trend will continue.
Admin for all the Forum things...
Click Me for forum rules.
Click Me for Game admin contact details.
Ra
Sun God

AncientAnubis wrote:
Ra wrote:
Good lord, you're still here too? Just need Esker to show up and it'll be like a family reunion.
Clockwork wrote:EvE, rich history of alliances, pacts, secret treaties, agendas, back channel trickery, spying, sabotage, etc etc. almost a year ago a particularly nice battle netted ~$300k worth of real money losses (in resources / ships / stations etcetc). Ofc, its not a browser game, but a game all the same.

I happened upon SGW because I was into the show and between that and the big personalities on the forums it sorta took on a life of its own. I mean back in the day Ra and I legitimately acted the part of the System Lords and the whole thing was a lot of fun beyond just seeing your numbers in your browser grow.

At some point it started to lose that part of its personality (for me anyway) and toward the end of my run I ended up leaving for Eve. I was actually part of that massive fight in B-R last year and have been a part of most of the huge wars over the past few years. Eve was as close to an SGW with graphics as I could get at the time, so that was the original appeal in all honesty.
I just poke around the forums every few months. Mainly I stick to the archives though lol. Folks who think the game is thriving need only look there for their answer. The cash invested by the bigs is the only reason for continued existence really. I wonder how much Jason has pocketed honestly.
Death is the Road to Awe

AncientAnubis
Forum Elite

Ra wrote:I just poke around the forums every few months. Mainly I stick to the archives though lol. Folks who think the game is thriving need only look there for their answer. The cash invested by the bigs is the only reason for continued existence really. I wonder how much Jason has pocketed honestly.
To be honest I always thought the real downfall was letting players sell their resources for RL cash instead of ingame-only resource trades. Not to keep harping on Eve, but I like what CCP did in that players selling accounts/money/ships for RL cash is a bannable offense. If you can't be bothered to make your money yourself, then you can buy with RL cash but it has to be through CCP in the form of PLEX. The only thing you can buy is game money, you can't buy ships or skillpoints directly.

In retrospect what I would like to have seen from Jason is the banning of the cash trade outside of the various supporter statuses you can buy. Obviously you can't stop it completely but had it been a reportable and bannable offense with a legal alternative then it might have controlled the resource spiral a bit more and made it easier for newer players to close the gap on the (essentially) untouchables at the top through actually playing the game.

Return to “StarGateWars General”