Awards 2014

Forum for all general ingame discussion.
Arkenius
Forum Expert
Alliance: Ωmegan Empire
Race: The Honey Badger
ID: 0
Alternate name(s): The Nutcracker

Re: Awards 2014

The Forum Warrior Award

I think is about time I get it... for all the dedication put behind other ppl's tears and so on... :smt047
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

Mathlord wrote:Speaking of which can we get rid of the stipulation that you cannot vote for your own alliance?
Never going to happen (at least not whilst I run the awards). I hasten to add that in some cases such as the Hall of Fame it's been practise to prevent empire voting for one another's members too. Don't make me bring that rule back! [-X

As for 'brothers-in-arms' alliances voting for one another i'd almost contradict the point of the rule and just ask how far you'd all like me to go. There is no perfect system so this 'happy' middle ground is the best thing as it adds a limitation whilst enjoying a pleasent measure of flexibility but it also serves as a reminder of the lengths the awards team will go to if alliances and empires try to 'vote swap'. Naughty children WILL have their toys taken away.
SS wrote:For the anniversary year, it would be neat to do something in regards to the history of the game. Like a category of "Biggest Impact on... etc." awards

ie. Biggest Impact on Game Play/Updates
Biggest Impact on Politics
Biggest Impact on Main Forum
Biggest Impact on Diplomacy

essentially, Historical Moments awards.
Not just for the passed year, but something to represent the history of the game itself and all those that have contributed. Hard to police, but seeing how you were here for the majority of it Semps, I think you would be able to work it
Yes, i've already been thinking along these lines for some new one-off categories.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

Mordack wrote:WTH even remembers who Genlucky was nowadays.
The founder and leader of Dirty Dozen? Which was one of the original members of the Grand alliance that gravitated the game towards massive alliances and empires.
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
Ra
Sun God
ID: 10085

Mordack wrote:Add me to the fall of fame. I'm not usually one for self-aggrandisement, but some of the people there at the moment were complete losers. Loony bipolar Teal'auc, Tweetygirl the jezebel and WTH even remembers who Genlucky was nowadays. If those idiots are up there, I really do think I should be considered.
Honestly what did you do those three didn't? I mean, did they take your milk money?
Death is the Road to Awe

Caprila
Grand Master of the Inquisition
Race: Immortal

Ra wrote:
Mordack wrote:Add me to the fall of fame. I'm not usually one for self-aggrandisement, but some of the people there at the moment were complete losers. Loony bipolar Teal'auc, Tweetygirl the jezebel and WTH even remembers who Genlucky was nowadays. If those idiots are up there, I really do think I should be considered.
Honestly what did you do those three didn't? I mean, did they take your milk money?
The difficulty of 'SGW Community' Awards, is many of it's players don't step foot outside their alliance skype/forums. So while you may see someone put his time in every day, to teach others, to run the alliance logistics and events.. part of what makes this game great... no one outside his alliance will ever see that.

Likewise on the other side of the coin, many of the truly horrific things done in the name of this game, both in Real Life and ingame, also remain locked up in various HC closets. It's never 'cool', to air dirty laundry on the forums, but it provides a new way of looking at some of the forum warriors that call themselves 'Villians' these days.

Being in the Hall of Fame doesn't make them make them 'Legendary', or that they had the biggest impact on the game. Just at that time, they were "popular" on the main forums and/or managed to persuade/threaten other players into replying to a forum thread for them.

The forum awards are just that, a bit of fun for the portion of the SGW community that enjoys trolling posting on the forums. Most of the replies to this thread follow this culture & trying to make 'serious' sounding awards about the biggest impact on this game will fall flat when your voters biggest concerns regard who can post the best troll memes.

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

I disagree. The majority of the HoF have had an impact on the game and the community in ways that far surpass many many players. Sitting quietly in an alliance, training a multitude of players isn't a legendary act as an absolute ton of alliances have several people who do that. If they were that good of a teacher then they wouldn't need to go out and make a name, surely one of the multitude of their pupils would make the case.
Are the HoF legendary? Within the confines of the game and it's community of course a large portion of them are. Being in the HoF and legendary are not mutually exclusive (do the majority of the game even remember Exclusive, UNKNOWN or Nebulator for example), but the odds are in favour of the idea that if you were legendary at the time then you were capable of having both enemies and allies recognise that without coersion (which we were always careful to hunt as you should know Caprila).
Was achillies a legendary warrior? Was Winston Churchill a legendary leader? Sure. Did they die a long time ago? Yeah. Were they popular and recognised as legends at the time? Hell yeah! What about Lady Jane Grey? Anyone here know who she is? The shortest reigning monarch in English history (9 days as a pawn and the poor lass got executed for her troubles). She was still present for something worth remembering.

Now, of course, of the sixty or so HoF members who are there some are inevitably utterly popularity based and have done actually nothing for the game but then what is the definition of legendary? How big does your impact have to be? Would it be fair, for example, to take ETL and use that set the bar? How many ETLs have there been? Or Wolf359s? Or, of course, how many Sempers? :D

I regularly disagree with many entrants to the HoF but i'm sure most are suffciently legendary as far as the game goes.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Mental
Forum Elite
Alliance: [ THE DARK DOMINIUM™]
Race: ~Da Bait~
ID: 55247
Alternate name(s): Melting Pot of Friendship.

It's an ego competition, Some fall way short in game and believe their own hype.

I need no awards, I bathe in tears and dry my self clean with crying pm messages and that will suffice.
Spoiler
[14:42:10] The Anti Christ: Now I know what harch feels like
[20:15:16] Duderanch: Ben filled me up :P
[14:14] CC Leader: harriet harmon is a freak in bed
[01:42:08] The Anti Christ: Mental is my hero, I wish I was more like him
Arkenius
Forum Expert
Alliance: Ωmegan Empire
Race: The Honey Badger
Alternate name(s): The Nutcracker

Mental wrote:It's an ego competition, Some fall way short in game and believe their own hype.

I need no awards, I bathe in tears and dry my self clean with crying pm messages and that will suffice.
hence why we definately need a medal made of noobs' tears, in the form of a snow flake. :smt025
R0B3RT
Forum Zombie
Alliance: jaded empire
Race: fighter

Caprila wrote:
Ra wrote:
The difficulty of 'SGW Community' Awards, is many of it's players don't step foot outside their alliance skype/forums. So while you may see someone put his time in every day, to teach others, to run the alliance logistics and events.. part of what makes this game great... no one outside his alliance will ever see that.

Likewise on the other side of the coin, many of the truly horrific things done in the name of this game, both in Real Life and ingame, also remain locked up in various HC closets. It's never 'cool', to air dirty laundry on the forums, but it provides a new way of looking at some of the forum warriors that call themselves 'Villians' these days.

Being in the Hall of Fame doesn't make them make them 'Legendary', or that they had the biggest impact on the game. Just at that time, they were "popular" on the main forums and/or managed to persuade/threaten other players into replying to a forum thread for them.

The forum awards are just that, a bit of fun for the portion of the SGW community that enjoys trolling posting on the forums. Most of the replies to this thread follow this culture & trying to make 'serious' sounding awards about the biggest impact on this game will fall flat when your voters biggest concerns regard who can post the best troll memes.
until ***NO*** like you have button on this forum we will use skype :-"
go ban me ha ha ha
~Odin~
Alföðr
Alliance: The Collective
Race: International Pimp

Well good luck on planning and running it.
These awards have been around a long time, its will be interesting to see who has the best dress and walk down the red carpet this year lol.
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 145,573,411,725,000 damage
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage
TGW Annual Community Awards 2014/2015
Spoiler
Kjarkur
Spark of the Ori
Alliance: DDE - Leader
Race: System Lord
ID: 1909457
Alternate name(s): Kjarkur, JL, KJ

~Odin~ wrote:Well good luck on planning and running it.
These awards have been around a long time, its will be interesting to see who has the best dress and walk down the red carpet this year lol.
I hear you have a great selection of dresses, it would be between you and Woofy.

Obviously I'd look best on the red carpet though, in a tank-top.

-KJ
There are no men like me. There's only me.
General & Battle Moderator
- > SGW Hall of Fame
- > SGW's Hero of the Year
- > SGW's Villain of the year 2010->
- > SGW's Most Missed Player of the year 2011->
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

I would say Forum Warrior award might be a good idea nowadays because, there are more and more people who don't really play anymore but still check the forums. They cannot vote for battles going on in game with in-game data, but certainly for forum content.

:P
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

Wait, are people suggesting "forum warrior" as an actual award? That'd be interesting.
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
~Odin~
Alföðr
Alliance: The Collective
Race: International Pimp

Kjarkur wrote:
~Odin~ wrote:Well good luck on planning and running it.
I hear you have a great selection of dresses, it would be between you and Woofy.

Obviously I'd look best on the red carpet though, in a tank-top.

-KJ
But darling I am not the one trying on the heels :p
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 145,573,411,725,000 damage
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage
TGW Annual Community Awards 2014/2015
Spoiler
Kjarkur
Spark of the Ori
Alliance: DDE - Leader
ID: 1909457
Alternate name(s): Kjarkur, JL, KJ

~Odin~ wrote:
But darling I am not the one trying on the heels :p
These boots were made for walking 8)
There are no men like me. There's only me.
General & Battle Moderator
- > SGW Hall of Fame
- > SGW's Hero of the Year
- > SGW's Villain of the year 2010->
- > SGW's Most Missed Player of the year 2011->

Return to “StarGateWars General”