SGW site slow? Report here! (ONLY HERE

List all bugs for MAIN SERVER here

Please use the ascended/chaos/quantum sections for bugs specific to those servers.
SVaRuN
Forum Elder
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Roman

I am positive it was the wars that caused it doom lord...(you could see it directly by the number of ppl that were loged on and that number was bigger then usual not to mention them clicking buttons like crazy :D )
Quae caret ora cruore nostro?
buck
The Main Event
Race: Degenerate
ID: 16843

Honours and Awards

"reseting" does indeed seem to work, i only ever seem to get the slow problem in Opera and FF so....that seems to make sense... :?
Spoiler
2006 -
Poster of the Year
2007 -
Runner up signature of the Year
Runner up most improved player of the Year
Runner up hero of the Year
Alliance war of the year (CIA vs COP)
2008-
Hall of Fame
2009-
Runner up Hero of the Year
2010-
Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Tekki)
Runner up Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Darthudd)

Noteworthy alliances-
Omega
Mayhem
Radical Minority
Nemesis Sect
Warlords of Briton

Previous affiliations-
TL
Ricos
DDE
The Tok'ra
The OOC
The SLA

Missed and dear friends -
Too Many to count, but never forgotten.
Code:
"Now I Don't like you, I don't respect you, and I sure as hell don't fear you. But seeing how your standing in the middle of my yard, I will break you."
~Anubis~
Forum Grunt
Race: INDU
ID: 0

UM 2:14-2:19am couldn'tt log in on either browser (Opera or IE) from Aus.

The wait wasnt that bad. :-D :-D :-D
High Empty
Forum Addict
Alliance: Omega
Race: God's Left Hand
ID: 102803

Forum wrote:ok - this is odd....

firstly 1) if sgw game is slow AND forums slow at same time, it cannot be the server, or the 'table locking' which i initially thought it was....the 2 are on different servers, different database servers, etc... -- this points to client side...

2) if it happens 'randomly' i cannot blame a piece of code for locking tables too long...

3) it is not the server. it is fine and not hitting capacity, or close...

4) i still think it is a table lock....although - with the reports to date, it, and the fact that opening a new window makes it fast again, it might be apache session issues (either yours expiring, and not telling you, or some sort of limit being hit on the server with number of connections....this does not mean the server is at capacity - just one of the settings that is not high enough) -- looking at issues #2 - concurrent connections - now..

5) a table lock is when some action causes a lookup or change in a table -say on your own account - then it has to finish before the next one can begin...anything that affects all items in a table (like turn update) can take a few seconds while everything else waits... this was the case with alliance updates. i will look for more that might tie up a table (like the one with player details :) ) for too long....

advice in meantime: if it is slow, close that window, open a new one from main page after re-logging in. this resets your 'session' which may be the issue...

I found that closing just the window won't work for firefox, as if i have 1 window( appication of firefox open in something totally random) i can't open the SGW, part( i e the part that locks or slows) I need to close all the windows to restart the programs, so i'am leaning towards it's not your programs, ( game problems) it's the brower its' self ever since that new update it's been slow, and sometime will hang.

Ex when ever i'am using a broker sometime when i click accpet on a trade, it will say Accepting and then freeze, and i need to restart it. But i can play Q and i won't have a problem till i start farming, then it will sometime also hang.

In finish, i don't really know what's going on, i just wish you the best of luck finding a solution. It doesn't have to be pretty
UgolinoII
Forum Grunt

I have this information to add:

Using Firefox 1.5.07 / Gentoo Linux / 10meg cable line.

Turn lag is normal 30-60 seconds on turn change but page ultimately loads.

When I get lock up (maybe once evry couplof hours) its usually if i have double clicked back or some other action which causes two page loads in quick succession (ie sending another GET request before the first has had time to be responded to)

When it has locked up like this (when i say locked up it ultimately times out - its not DNS btw), I cannot logout/relogin. Even cclosign all browser windows and restarting I cannot even get to SGW home page. Though I can telnet to port 80 on the sgw server, so the connection is not broke.

Usually it takes about 10 mins or so for this effect to disappear. Howver I have found that If i delete cookies from SGW then I can log on immediately.

I have further discovered that I dont even have to close browser - I can keep open all windows (say i have a few raid targets open) clear SGW cookie(s) log in via another tab and continue from where i left off.

I dont know how sgw works but here is what my imaginative gut feeling tells me is what is happening.

the session cookie contains the session id, every page access valiadate the session on the clients browser against some 'authenticated session' table. the validation performs row locking (perhaps a write?) which releases lock when it completes. if a second request is made then another attempt to acces the row is made before the first attempt has released the lock, this may reate som sort of deadlock. The deadlock will timeout after some fixed (lengthy) period (session timeout value in php perhaps?). Which is when you can continue as normal, as you get a new session.

If you delete the session cookie, and go to sgw home you get a new session immediately and are not attempting to validate against the old (locked) session row.

I may be way off, but i know in php apps i code i keep all authenticated sessions in a table and use this per page access.
Forum
Site Admin

Honours and Awards

this is likely close to what is going on...
i think it has to be session, cookie or database lock on user account (since it is not slow for everyone at hte same time - it 'picks' on specific users).....or more likely a combination of 2 or more of those items, working together to mess me up :)
specificly WHICH update did you notice it getting slow? i can relook at that part of the code/security... there is a lot of security in the setup :)

a question - for those that always click links (not using back, etc), and use just one window for the game, any issues???

FYI i am doing this to remedy the 'slowness':

looking at server apache settings;
looking at database config settings;
going over code (again if you tell me which code update happened to make it slow, would help this hunt);
optimizing turn script;
getting new server.

(yes - new server...after MUCH watching the current server is hitting 80% utilization at peak...while this is not 100% and not using the 'disk cache' (like a backup but a slower backup), and is certainly not the cause of this issue, it will speed things up, and eventually - likely sooner than later - 80% would become 100% so we are just jumping the gun a little bit on new hardware added to the setup:) )

between all of this, i expect to find the issue, fix it, and end up in an even better setup/speed/etc than before this 'issue' started.....

UgolinoII wrote:I have this information to add:

Using Firefox 1.5.07 / Gentoo Linux / 10meg cable line.

Turn lag is normal 30-60 seconds on turn change but page ultimately loads.

When I get lock up (maybe once evry couplof hours) its usually if i have double clicked back or some other action which causes two page loads in quick succession (ie sending another GET request before the first has had time to be responded to)

When it has locked up like this (when i say locked up it ultimately times out - its not DNS btw), I cannot logout/relogin. Even cclosign all browser windows and restarting I cannot even get to SGW home page. Though I can telnet to port 80 on the sgw server, so the connection is not broke.

Usually it takes about 10 mins or so for this effect to disappear. Howver I have found that If i delete cookies from SGW then I can log on immediately.

I have further discovered that I dont even have to close browser - I can keep open all windows (say i have a few raid targets open) clear SGW cookie(s) log in via another tab and continue from where i left off.

I dont know how sgw works but here is what my imaginative gut feeling tells me is what is happening.

the session cookie contains the session id, every page access valiadate the session on the clients browser against some 'authenticated session' table. the validation performs row locking (perhaps a write?) which releases lock when it completes. if a second request is made then another attempt to acces the row is made before the first attempt has released the lock, this may reate som sort of deadlock. The deadlock will timeout after some fixed (lengthy) period (session timeout value in php perhaps?). Which is when you can continue as normal, as you get a new session.

If you delete the session cookie, and go to sgw home you get a new session immediately and are not attempting to validate against the old (locked) session row.

I may be way off, but i know in php apps i code i keep all authenticated sessions in a table and use this per page access.
forgive_me
Forum Irregular

i think it woud be usful wen complaining about lag to include the no of loading windows u have.....because i get a little lag wen i reach 30+ pages loading at the same time....but nothing under that

EDIT: p.s i use opera as my broser....great on spead and hase some neat stuff for the game :P
Last edited by forgive_me on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneralChaos
Forum Addict
Alliance: Omega
ID: 59627

Personally i think it was FireFox, i upgraded to FireFox 2.0 and so far i havent had any great lag, nothing close to what it was before anyway, maybe 10 seconds at most, and that isnt very often, but ill be sure to post if i get any.
Nug
Forum Grunt

Forum wrote:advice in meantime: if it is slow, close that window, open a new one from main page after re-logging in. this resets your 'session' which may be the issue...

Iv found this the most effective way to get rid of lag, but it is rather annoying :x

Theres a hack in FF which you can do to make it super fast. This hack causes FF to request more data from the server then it usually does, iv always thought it might be this.
JediMasterX
Forum Zombie
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Jedi
ID: 101050

alright, SGW isn't working for me. It isn't loading up and I've restarted my computer twice to try and get it to work. So I'm guessing it is down.
(11:31 PM) Biscuit: I wish it was Jedi that massed me instead of a noob!
Tweety Girl says (11:48 PM)
.. i'm gonna come off vac mode just to mass JediMasterX so i can say "i hit it" .. damn that boy is smokin hot
2,454,890 Untrained ware taken from the realm of Oma Dasala.
{TAF DESCENTIONS}
Tivadar
Forum Regular
Alliance: [TCOA]Equinox
Race: Altíri

[DD2] JediMasterX wrote:alright, SGW isn't working for me. It isn't loading up and I've restarted my computer twice to try and get it to work. So I'm guessing it is down.

it works again. for me..
Hells__Angel
Forum Elder

The server is so painfully slow as of late... its anoying when im trying to raid :P
~Anubis~
Forum Grunt

2:16PM cant logggon to SGW chaos or quantumm, and quantum wont even load. This is slightly stuffed, but i am on ppt in main so meh.
geisha
Forum Addict
Race: Pastafarian
ID: 65545

~Anubis~ wrote:2:16PM cant logggon to SGW chaos or quantumm, and quantum wont even load. This is slightly stuffed, but i am on ppt in main so meh.

http://herebegames.com/StarGateWars/vie ... hp?t=51340

;)
geisha
touched by his noodly appendage

~Anubis~
Forum Grunt

geisha wrote:
~Anubis~ wrote:2:16PM cant logggon to SGW chaos or quantumm, and quantum wont even load. This is slightly stuffed, but i am on ppt in main so meh.

http://herebegames.com/StarGateWars/vie ... hp?t=51340

;)

Thanx :-D :-D

Return to “Bugs”