Curious, what does it take

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Curious, what does it take

Zeratul wrote:nor are there any other protoss mods... em, we mean norwegian mods...

Is there a difference? :shock:
Hmm.. as long as we won't have Zerg coming in from all sides..

:)
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

To be a mod? You have to be in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time.

Personal Attributes? You have to be a unique Character who has shown that even through insulting, arguing, and all the possible crud, you can maintain some degree of logic and a cool heard.

Oh yes...and it always helps to have friends int he community who will watch you back and stand side by side with you when others moan because you got the job.

In the end, being a mod is nothing special, your just another forum user who may or may not have the spine to make a difference within this small neiche of the internet.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin
Alliance: EPA
Race: Tauri

Honours and Awards

Okay - to answer the initial question - which I am assuming is linked to the fact that people have now noticed there APPEAR to be more mods now then there were a couple of days ago. This isn't actually the case - all that has been done are that the race mods have now had a colour designated to them, as a result of a vote by the full forum staff. Personally, I would've made it a different colour to avoid the confusion - but there you go. The race mods do not have any more powers or jurisdiction outside of the race board they are responsible for, nor can they see the mod sections of the board.

Now - onto the answer to the question......

Race mods are nominated and voted upon by the community and as far as I know (because I rarely go into the race boards these days except to do some spot checking) the current batch of race mods were voted in around 2 to 3 months ago.

As for other mods - some people do apply and the odd one who does is given a trial period if the existing forum staff on the whole feel that they have the potential to be a mod. Other people are nominated by existing mods (usually Supermods and Admins) and a general discussion takes place before a decision is made on whether they should be given a chance or not.

And they are not given a chance on whether we think they will be able to work with us and will 'follow the party line' (I certainly don't). But they are given a chance dependent on how they have conducted themselves thus far, and their overall potential suitability - such as having attributes as mentioned previously by Semper. Discussions are generally lengthy and people are not afraid to voice their opinions. For instance, there was a discussion recently to possibly bring back an ex-mod, and after a lengthy discussion it was decided not to.

It has nothing to do with being friends or bosom buddies with anyone. For example, of the current mod team, I know most of them - but only because I've been around the forum since Feb 2005 - but I'm not massively good chums with any of them. In fact, the ones that asked me to come back as a mod are the ones I've argued against most recently, and the one I have had most allegiance to in the past, having been in the same alliance previously, I probably argue with the most.

And trust me, I'd be the first one to kick up a stink if I thought mods were getting in because of who they are friends with.
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
Mato
Forum Expert

It seems I wasnt the only one bothered by the change of Auriel's nickname color.

go go General Chaos
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Mato wrote:It seems I wasnt the only one bothered by the change of Auriel's nickname color.

go go General Chaos

:lol: Yeah.. you might find some people who agree with you.

I liked you better when you posted for me during my suspension, old friend. Then again, times and people change.
Mato
Forum Expert

Auriel Aryamehr wrote:
Mato wrote:It seems I wasnt the only one bothered by the change of Auriel's nickname color.

go go General Chaos

I liked you better when you posted for me during my suspension, old friend. Then again, times and people change.

Oh well I nearly got banned becasue of it. It was fun btw ... I liked you back then. But every thing changed after discovering your real age ..remember that? The second thing you said to me was a lie .... I wont forgive nor forget that.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Mato wrote:
Auriel Aryamehr wrote:

go go General Chaos

Oh well I nearly got banned becasue of it. It was fun btw ... I liked you back then. But every thing changed after discovering your real age ..remember that? The second thing you said to me was a lie .... I wont forgive nor forget that.

Yea a good friend from real life lied to me twice about his age until I discovered he was 19 while he pretended to be 18 and 21...so what should I do? Brand the hate flag on him for that forever? :lol:
I don't think so...
Because, afterall, he wasn't the only one to lie to me, or to others, infact, everyone lie at some moment of his/her life. And it can be directed at friends family etc...and not necessarly little little lies...everyone lies to everyone at some moment!
It's part of humanity features, unfortunately.
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

go go General Chaos

You see, you kind of make my point for me!

Auriel has been doing the race mod job for over 2 months now and nobody has had cause to complain. It is therefore reasonable to assume that those who use the board she mods are relatively happy with the job - and those that are now complaining (because her name has changed colour!) don't know any better because they don't visit said board.

And if you don't visit it, what is the problem, since it does not affect anywhere else?

Anyway, the question has now been answered and I will not let this turn into another rant about a specific race mod because some people who never visit the board they mod have found out after over 2 months that she is a mod - especially when that has already been done in another thread. If you feel you need to complain, do it through the ombudsman.

LOCKED.
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
GeneralChaos
Forum Addict
Alliance: Omega
ID: 59627

Well actually no the question hasn't been answered it just had alot of mods and a few users come in and spam it up, but then again your a mod arent you so i guess what you say goes doesnt it, just like every other bloody situation that comes up on these dam forums.

When it comes down to it, some of these mods dont give a flying toss about the actually community they just want the dam colour and power, and yes thats a FACT,

ANYONE who has been banned on these forums at all, for any reason SHOULD never be allowed to become a MOD, even if they change there name, people who get banned dont suddenly CHANGE THERE WAYS.

Its BS.
Deep within Noob Cave, you find a strange pool filled with a glowing blue liquid. You think back to what your mother told you about unfamiliar liquids found in caves.

You're pretty sure she said "Drink it! What's the worst that can happen?"
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

GeneralChaos wrote:Well actually no the question hasn't been answered it just had alot of mods and a few users come in and spam it up, but then again your a mod arent you so i guess what you say goes doesnt it, just like every other bloody situation that comes up on these dam forums.

When it comes down to it, some of these mods dont give a flying toss about the actually community they just want the dam colour and power, and yes thats a FACT,

ANYONE who has been banned on these forums at all, for any reason SHOULD never be allowed to become a MOD, even if they change there name, people who get banned dont suddenly CHANGE THERE WAYS.

Its BS.

The question was what does it take to be a mod? - and that has been answered, irrelevant of whether you agree with it or not. It then degenerated into the same topic as another thread.

It is strange, because way back, when mods stuck rigidly to the rules and what they did say DID go, people never had cause for complain - but now, because certain things have led to more leniency, when a mod does something because they believe it is right, they get nothing but lame attempts at sarcasm.

You seem to miss the over-arching points regarding the race mod that a very small minority of people seem to be complaining about - so let me make it clear:

- the mod has been a mod since January.
- the mod was voted in BY THE COMMUNITY.
- the mod has carried out their duties satisfactorily.
- the people who visit/use the board the mod carries out their duties in have not seen fit during this time to complain.
- the race board Supermod has received no complaints regarding the mod.

People have only complained because the mods name has changed to blue - and some of them have even said that if it had been a different colour it wouldn't have mattered, but because it was blue they made an ASSUMPTION.

If anybody wants to formally complain then do it through the proper channels - via the ombudsman or another member of the mod team, as I will not allow this to turn into a slanging match that has been had elsewhere.

LOCKED. (since I must've mispressed earlier)
Mod Speak

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”