asgard vs. ancients tech

Where players can relax and discuss their favorite TV shows a*WARNING* spoilers may abound *WARNING*

are the asgard stonger thant the ancients before there fall

yes
17%
no
25%
hell no
51%
same level
7%

Total votes: 72
Pakarinen
Forum Grunt
ID: 0

Peace be with you

we shoulda study it, figure out how to adjust how it works, stick it in prometheus.... or a ship thats still working i suppose .... say a "borrowed ha'tak, and fly over to teh ori galaxy, fine tune it to work thier, then rig it up to send an energy pulse throughout thier galaxy in an energy wave to disrupt everything.... and collaps mosta the lifeforms an technology to thier basic level.... or even just fine tune it to destroy all ori related technology even if it takes several waves, if it would survive the first that is.

oh yes.... as for ancient shielding vs asgard....soemthing tells me that wouldnt have happened to atlantis... reguardless of one zpm or three. then again perhaps im wrong :P
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant intelligence."
Skaara Balrog
Forum Newbie

I have only read half the posts so i'm not sure if sum has already said this.

Basically half of u are talkin about the asgard kicking the ass of the wraith.

First off the Detalas or however its spelt can only withstand for a matter of a few minutes before it has to run away, and thats just against 1 or 2 hives. The ship is fitted with asgard class shields.
The moment the asgard ships start popping hives, the remaining ones are going to group together and meet up with them.

Even if asgard weapons are 10 times better than the earth ships, they are gonna start popping one by one, only taking out about 15 or so hives and damaging the others, and soon as hives are organic based they will heal and minor damages in no time. Not to menton the fact that after the battle they will get their hands on intergalactic startravel, asgard class shields, Asgard class weaponry, Beaming technology ( if anyone says they already have that i will slap them, wraith use scooping technology) and all the other gizmo's the asgard have.

Besides they are still fighting the replicators in their home galixy aren't they so their probably still isn't any ships available.
samir
Fledgling Forumer

replicators in sg-1 are meant to be dead...
GAT-X207
Forum Expert

ya the only replicators left are the asurans in pegasus galaxy
who needs submarines anyway, those little black boats just keep sinking under the water anyway.
Man of God
Forum Irregular

and the sequel to that...doesnt come out untill january some time :( tho i have read some spoilers of the upcoming episodes...and welll...i see good things lmao
GAT-X207
Forum Expert

ive seen the conclusion to the 2 parter :D and the one after that, and the one after that one too lol the ending to irresponsible was damn funny and cool. and that was totaly ingenoius the end ont the asuran invaision
who needs submarines anyway, those little black boats just keep sinking under the water anyway.
Skaara Balrog
Forum Newbie

I thought the ancient weapon didn't effect the replicators in the asgards home galixy, only ours. So i would assume they are still fighting them.

They have hardly had contact with earth for ages,

i'd like so see an episode with Thor inventing some means to fight the ori with the help of carter using descovery in some ancient archive found by Dr Jackson, meanwhile teal'c and cameron have to fight their way out of some alien jail on a plannet they previously thought to be inhabited by peacefull farmers.

Thats the usual kind of story line anyway.

LOOL
Exilus
Forum Newbie

you can see the proof in Camelot Episode. the more "White" is an energy weapon/shield, the most pure it is. asgard weapons and shields are light blue, and ancient's ones are white. secondly, ancient built the teleport rings and the Stargates. i guess the only thing Asgard actually managed to do better than the ancients is a limit-less shortrange teleportation system.
Osi
Forum Addict

thats not true...atlantis shields are blueish and they are the best out there
Our failure is obvious, we had our foot on the throat of Humanity and we failed to step down hard enough.
Rokas
Forum Newbie

Well I will probably post many SPOILERS here, so please skip this post if you haven't watched all available episodes yet(SG-1 - The Quest: Part 1, Atlantis - The Game).

Asgard hyperdrive is far far ahead of Ancient or any other known in the universe(including Ori). Asgard motherships can travel from one galactic to other in just a matter of minutes, while Ancients had several days to go from Earth to where Atlantis is now.

Asgard shielding provided in Tau'ri vessels are using same technology as Asgard motherships, BUT... different power sources. Thus Earth vessel's shielding is far from Asgard yet. So you can't pretty much compare Daedalus to Asgard mothership shield power. HOWEVER, as stated in several episodes, Ancients shielding is by far superior to all. Atlantis, with three ZPMs can hold off Wraith(whose weaponry I could compare to Asgard for that matter) siege for as long as they want. Changing ZPMs is no trouble at all, because three ZPMs for Ancients would be piece of ****. As stated by the replicators, they had thousands of ZPMs available in stock and easily can make much more..

Ancient drone weapon easily passes through any shielding(even that of Anubis mothership Ancient/Asgard mixed shielding). The only minus of the drone is it's relatively low damage - it needed thousands of drones from Aurora-class battleship to severely damage organic Wraith ship, which would in time heal itself. While drones can easily destroy non-organic ships - two were enough for basic Goa'uld mothership. Not much more would be required for any Asgard ship, I believe. So in case of Ancient vs Asgard battle, Asgard would stand no chance with any number of ships - just because they couldn't penetrate fully charged Ancient shieling, while their shielding would be worthless against drones.

I heard a question what would happen if blow several ZPMs in center of wraith fleet, well the answer was given. One ZPM blown up could have destroyed whole solar system of Atlantis. Several could probably leave a big hole in galaxy.
The super-weapon, as you talk of, which was a complete failure, appeared to be unusable and actually could destroy pretty much whole galaxy/universe in time. In later series, when they tried experimenting it inside Atlantis, it nearly ended in blown Atlantis solar system as well.

Asgard energy-based weaponry would certainly prove useful against Wraith organic ships, as it would just completely blow up in just a few hits. One Asgard ship could easily take on one Wraith ship at once. So did Ancient warships. But we heard that technology didn't win that war - numbers did. I believe the currently known Wraith hiveships number is only a small part of what it was in heat of war against Ancients. As stated, many were destroyed in fights against Ancients. And I doubt Wraith created more hives after Ancients were gone, because of food limitation - they just wouldn't share the food between very large numbers. Another scenario is they fought between themselves after the threat was gone, as is happening in Atlantis series now - after Wraith believed Atlantis was finally destroyed. A threat of Asgard would unite them once again. And I am quite sure Asgard shielding wouldn't hold anything similar to siege of Atlantis, when tens of Wraith hives fired their weapons on Atlantis all at once. Wouldn't predict the outcome, but 1 Asgard on 10 Hives(and I assume the ratio was much worse for Ancients) wouldn't have a chance. At most they could destroy a ten or two of hives, but together lose all of their fleet. On the other hand, Asgard has the hyperdrive. They could jump in, destroy several hives and before other hives start shooting back, jump out. The problem remaining, Asgard haven't completely rebuilt yet after war with Replicators, which was clearly won only with help of Ancient technology.

Ancients have much superior science compared to Asgard. Continue with energy sources, physics, even Ascension itself. I like the Asgard beaming transportation more than Ancient ring-transporter, or the Atlantis transport "closets", but both seems to be utilizing the same technology. Ancients probably just never found the need to beam the way Asgard did and found their way easier and safer. Even long range sensors seems to be all-winning for Ancients.

So I can add a somewhat equality to offense between Asgard and Ancient. Ancients are better on some things, Asgard are better on other. While in Asgard vs Ancient war would be a clear winner - Ancients.
Ancient Defense is by far better, as told in series.
Asgard hyperdrive is by far the best.
As in science, Ancients win hard(including cloning and other Asgard related things). DNA modifier on-the-fly alone is worth the credit.

The outcome is that Ancients are much more powerful.

On the other hand, Asgard is relatively new race, compared to Ancients. They have reached near-to-Ancients technology level in just tens of thousands of years, while Ancients were living for tens of millions of years. Most of differences probably came up due to different materials used.
It appears, however, that most of Ancient technology was created far before Dinosaurs walked on Earth, as seen in some SG-1 episode. Ayana(or whatever that Ancient girl in Antarctica was called) wasn't any different from the close-to-ascend Ancients, even if she was in the ice for 50mil years or so. So let's not give up the hope that humans will become similar to Ancients very soon(in the third series?).

Wouldn't be surprised too much if Asgard are descendants of Ancients. In episode where former Asgard form was displayed, it looked pretty humanly to me. Even the current Asgard form is very likely the future of humanity.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

there are some errors here...

the asgard hyperdrive took very short time between milky way and asgard galaxy because the distance between those galaxies is smaller than the distance to pegasus... and remember, the ancients do have superior hyperdrives, if we remember correctly, it was in the season 3 episode 10, the ancient battle ship travelled at 0.999 times lightspeed, and that is much faster than asgard travel...

the reason that asgard teleportation is better, is that they have had millennia to enhance it since the ancients last improved theirs...

and asgard are not descended from ancients... they are an entirely different race, they simply evolved into the same shape that the ancients evolved into... this because it is defined as the most practical basic form...
and the sole reason that the asgard are the way they currently are, is that they have cloned themselves too many times, and the DNA has degraded from what it was 1000 years or so ago... the only way humans would start to look like the asgard, is through cloning instead of regular reproduction...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Rokas
Forum Newbie

the asgard hyperdrive took very short time between milky way and asgard galaxy because the distance between those galaxies is smaller than the distance to pegasus... and remember, the ancients do have superior hyperdrives, if we remember correctly, it was in the season 3 episode 10, the ancient battle ship travelled at 0.999 times lightspeed, and that is much faster than asgard travel...

First of all, hyperspace travel is FTL(faster-than-light) travel. Then, I can't remember where exactly I read it, but the calculations were done pretty well. Thor's ship, with Prometheus in the bubble, traveled several hundreds of millions times faster than light. As far as I remember, even Daedalus flies faster than Ancient ships.
On the other hand, Ancients had Puddle Jumpers and stargate network, they could travel between planets instantly... Not much of a need to do deep research on hyperdrive. While Asgard had to travel a lot between Milky Way and their home galaxies. So it all ends up with the need. If Ancients would have needed, they would have probably constructed something even more sophisticated, due to their extensive knowledge of science(and that is clearly confirmed by Asgardians, that knowledge of Ancients is far beyond their level).

this because it is defined as the most practical basic form

That is barely just a theory, hypothesis. Other theories state that different paths of evolution will lead into completely different state of body.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

our mistake... we forgot to remember the part about FTL travel... anyways, the asgard dont have the most powerful hyperdrive... it is (or was) the replicators that had that... the episode they had that is sg-1 5x01. there the replicators traveled over 4 million light years in a matter of moments... and they based that engine from a Ha'tak hyperdrive... think what they could do with an ancient or asgard hyperdrive...

besides, we dont really know much about ancient hyperdrives... how many times have you seen one used at max capability?
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Inferno™
Suspended

The ancients were more advanced than the Asgard in every way, to put it simply. So many things indicate this from the fact of:

1.The Ancient's being smart enough to ascend.

2.Being able to build ships such as the city ship which are far larger than
any Asgard ship ever seen.

3.They were fighting a war with the Wraith while the Asgard race was still at the technological age that we were.

4.Despite what people think, the Ancients were millions of years old, while the Asgard were not. The 4race alliance wasn't formed when the ancients first came to MW, they came to MW, roamed for millions of years, then departed for Pegasus, where they stayed for about a million years, all the time while life was evolving in the MW, when they returned after losing the war, the 4race alliance was formed.

5.Thor himself admitted that they had only been able to learn 3% of the Repository of the Ancients.

Although, contradicting all that, in a fight I'd go with the Asgard, Ancients were a hell of a lot tougher but they lost to the wraith.. somehow.. so I doubt they'd beat the Asgard.

From what I have learn't, a energy source can only power a shield to it's max potential, when the ZPM was hooked up to the Daedalus yes it's shields were alot stronger, probably around the same as an Asgard shield. But the ZPM hooked to Atlantis was enough to stand 7 or so Hive's shooting at it for 4days or something.

Therefor i'm assuming, while the Asgard build good shields and stuff, hooking a ZPM to one of them may not actually increase its power, since it may already be using the max it can do. Ancients may have higher than his maximum.
PSICOLIX
Forum Intermediate

Let me make simple,
Replicator beat Asgard, Ancient Beat Replicator
Ancient Match Ori, 3 Ori ships r destrying every thing on MK
new Sing soon.

Return to “The TV room”