Best Sci-Fi TV Series

Where players can relax and discuss their favorite TV shows a*WARNING* spoilers may abound *WARNING*

Best Sci-Fi TV Series

Stargate SG1 / Atlantis
33%
Star Trek TOS / NG / DS9 / Enterprise / Voyager
18%
Battlestar Galactica Old / New
15%
Babylon 5
5%
Firefly
11%
Blakes 7
2%
Dr Who ( Which Dr ? )
7%
Outer Limits
No votes
Jupiter Moon
2%
Lexx
No votes
Space Above & Beyond
2%
Farscape
No votes
Red Dwarf
2%
Andromeda
5%
V
No votes

Total votes: 61
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Best Sci-Fi TV Series

15 Options is not really enough but I tried to pick the most popular ( Not just my favorites ).

What are your thoughts, good and bad, do you prefer something I haven't listed, do you know of any thing the rest of us should be watching ?

My Thoughts on the options

Stargate SG1 / Atlantis - SG1 was a great show until Jack left, Atlantis big budget but not so good on storylines and characters

Star Trek TOS / NG / DS9 / Enterprise / Voyager - TOS, loved it as a kid, now it seems really rubbish, NG = Shakespear in space, a few good episodes when Riker was in charge and got to blow stuff up, DS9, good action episodes, lame familty episodes, Enterprise, quite liked it but not enough to vote for it, Voyager, Cpt WannabeHepburn and a black Vulcan, please, why dont we have a chinese Cardasian to keep the PC Brigade happy too :lol:

Battlestar Galactica Old / New - Loved the first few new series, but the 4th series lost it's way, the old 70s series was great when I was a kid but seems very dated now

Babylon 5 - Excelent action, original, long term plot of good-v-Evil, Order-v-Chaos with many sub-plots, lots of cheesy lines and speaches though.

Firefly - Loved it, very different, great characters, casting and one-liners, sad it got canceled

Blakes 7 - Classic, low budget, bad acting, British Sci Fi, somehow it's so bad that it's great

Dr Who ( Which Dr ? ) - At it's worst, very very poor, at it's best, great great TV. Best Dr for me is Tom Baker, following closely by Chris Eccleston. Love it.

Outer Limits - Not my thing, seen some and no impressed

Jupiter Moon - Strangely addictive space soap opera with educational qualities and all real current tech in use, no transports, ray guns or the like in this show, I watched all 150 episodes and wanted more.

Lexx - Surreal, unique and funny as hell. If you haven't seen it, look it up now. A living bug for a ship, an ex-sex slave, a broken robot head and an undead assassin, weird and wonderful

Space Above & Beyond - Great action, marines in space kicking alien ass defending the earth, the Wildcard squadron flying fast and fighting hard, recommended.

Farscape - Bit of a kiddies sci fi, I'm sure I would have liked it if it had been around when I was younger. Funny use of made up swear words and Claudia Black looking hot as ever.

Red Dwarf - Loved the first few series, funny as hell, and looking forward to the new series, even though the last few were kinda tired with a sense of going through the motions

Andromeda - Cheese in space, entertaining at first but gets repetitive very quickly

V - Loved it, reptiles eating humans lol looks a bit dated now but classic stuff

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

Re: Best Sci-Fi TV Series

Firefly - great characters, and awesome mix of humour and action. The scenes are top notch - most look better than a lot of films I've seen. Couldn't recommend it enough ;)
buck
The Main Event
Race: Degenerate
ID: 16843

Honours and Awards

Babylon 5, By the longest shot, ever.

The greatest fight sequences, unbelievable CGI for the time. Much better writeing than Star trek, Briliant character. Supurb long term plot.

In the words of the script writers themselves, when B5 was being dismantled in the final episode:

There will never be anouther like it.
Spoiler
2006 -
Poster of the Year
2007 -
Runner up signature of the Year
Runner up most improved player of the Year
Runner up hero of the Year
Alliance war of the year (CIA vs COP)
2008-
Hall of Fame
2009-
Runner up Hero of the Year
2010-
Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Tekki)
Runner up Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Darthudd)

Noteworthy alliances-
Omega
Mayhem
Radical Minority
Nemesis Sect
Warlords of Briton

Previous affiliations-
TL
Ricos
DDE
The Tok'ra
The OOC
The SLA

Missed and dear friends -
Too Many to count, but never forgotten.
Code:
"Now I Don't like you, I don't respect you, and I sure as hell don't fear you. But seeing how your standing in the middle of my yard, I will break you."
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Babylon 5, Andromeda and a tie between Stargate and Firefly.
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

damn, there are about 6 series i love in that list
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
Darth Optimus
Forum Expert
Race: Ancient
ID: 0

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis, Star Trek, Red Dwarf and Battlestar Galatica. Love them all.
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Voyager is my favourite Star Trek series. In fact, it's probably the only one which I ever went out of my way to watch and followed consistently. I love it. I think the premise is fantastic, and I think the characters are wonderful; far better developed and characterized than any which I've seen in the other series. Robert Picardo's holographic Doctor being my absolute favourite. The writing was good, too, and didn't become sterile or fall victim to many of the cliches which riddle other Sci-Fi series. I realise this is something of a minority viewpoint, and one which would get me crucified were at a ST convention. I can't help it, though. Voyager is the one for me.

I'm a massive fan of the new Doctor Who, too. Tom Baker will always hold a place in my heart, but the Russell T Davies creation is a fantastic, warm, fun-filled type program. The type of thing you can sit and watch with the family and all enjoy (which can't be said for a lot of the TV I watch).
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Apadamek
Forum Expert
Alliance: Cloud HVE
ID: 1981768

Star Trek the next generation, that is all.

Babylon 5 was good, but just wasn't as awesome as DS9.
Image << Trader Feedback
Questions about the stock market, watches or betting on sports? Click the sig above!
~Thamuz~
Forum Expert

Mordack wrote:Voyager is my favourite Star Trek series. In fact, it's probably the only one which I ever went out of my way to watch and followed consistently. I love it. I think the premise is fantastic, and I think the characters are wonderful; far better developed and characterized than any which I've seen in the other series. Robert Picardo's holographic Doctor being my absolute favourite. The writing was good, too, and didn't become sterile or fall victim to many of the cliches which riddle other Sci-Fi series. I realise this is something of a minority viewpoint, and one which would get me crucified were at a ST convention. I can't help it, though. Voyager is the one for me.

I'm a massive fan of the new Doctor Who, too. Tom Baker will always hold a place in my heart, but the Russell T Davies creation is a fantastic, warm, fun-filled type program. The type of thing you can sit and watch with the family and all enjoy (which can't be said for a lot of the TV I watch).

Totally aree with you there, loved voyager, and firefly i thought was excellent too, i thought Enterprise had a lot of potential but didn't really get off the ground, really enjoy watching any of the stargate shows but i have to say my all out fave was Quantum leap, doesn't seem to be an option for that tho! ~Thamuz~
buck
The Main Event
Race: Degenerate
ID: 16843

Honours and Awards

Harry Ellis wrote:Star Trek the next generation, that is all.

The dialogue in B5 was much better than anything Ds9 Came up with.

But DS9 was probally my fav star trek, cos of the sheer awesomeness. <3
Spoiler
2006 -
Poster of the Year
2007 -
Runner up signature of the Year
Runner up most improved player of the Year
Runner up hero of the Year
Alliance war of the year (CIA vs COP)
2008-
Hall of Fame
2009-
Runner up Hero of the Year
2010-
Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Tekki)
Runner up Vendetta of the Year (Buck vs Darthudd)

Noteworthy alliances-
Omega
Mayhem
Radical Minority
Nemesis Sect
Warlords of Briton

Previous affiliations-
TL
Ricos
DDE
The Tok'ra
The OOC
The SLA

Missed and dear friends -
Too Many to count, but never forgotten.
Code:
"Now I Don't like you, I don't respect you, and I sure as hell don't fear you. But seeing how your standing in the middle of my yard, I will break you."
Apadamek
Forum Expert

buck wrote:
Harry Ellis wrote:Star Trek the next generation, that is all.

The dialogue in B5 was much better than anything Ds9 Came up with.

But DS9 was probally my fav star trek, cos of the sheer awesomeness. <3

You don't need dialogue when the only 5 words that matter are "Lock on phasers and fire"
Image << Trader Feedback
Questions about the stock market, watches or betting on sports? Click the sig above!
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
ID: 81691

B5 -v-DS9 hmmm, has to be B5 for me, it was far more original, a whole variety of new races and ship designs, far better long term story line, clearly thought out from the start, not just series by series according to ratings like the Trek was.

Voyager ??? I hope you guys are kidding, I mean really ??? Cpt 'Hepburn' was a wind up from the start, the politically correct brigade were clearly in charge of casting, the ship was all to shiny and new, would have been better if the Marque ship had survived instead, and Nelix, let face it if you found him and you were hungry, you would not have made him the chef, you'd just have BBQed the furry runt.

Have to say I'm a little disappointed that Star Trek has votes when Lexx and Space Above & Beyond dont, is no-one else sick of the goodie goodie federation types ?

Sorry about Quantum Leap not being on the list, was a great show in it's day, but poll here only have 15 options so many shows didn't get a slot.

Let the debate ( argument :lol: ) for the greatest sci fi show continue :-D

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
~Thamuz~
Forum Expert

MEZZANINE wrote:B5 -v-DS9 hmmm, has to be B5 for me, it was far more original, a whole variety of new races and ship designs, far better long term story line, clearly thought out from the start, not just series by series according to ratings like the Trek was.

Voyager ??? I hope you guys are kidding, I mean really ??? Cpt 'Hepburn' was a wind up from the start, the politically correct brigade were clearly in charge of casting, the ship was all to shiny and new, would have been better if the Marque ship had survived instead, and Nelix, let face it if you found him and you were hungry, you would not have made him the chef, you'd just have BBQed the furry runt.

Have to say I'm a little disappointed that Star Trek has votes when Lexx and Space Above & Beyond dont, is no-one else sick of the goodie goodie federation types ?

Sorry about Quantum Leap not being on the list, was a great show in it's day, but poll here only have 15 options so many shows didn't get a slot.

Let the debate ( argument :lol: ) for the greatest sci fi show continue :-D

I'm just a sucka when it comes to the borg episodes and Species 8472, i enjoyed most of the voyager episodes but loved the ones with these 2 involved just a little more, i thought janeway was a cracking captain she got stuck in as much as any other captain in any other series, you are right about neelix tho, he was prob my worst character, but eating him, i'll give it a miss thanks! :) ~Thamuz~
valakis
Forum Irregular
Alliance: DoB
Race: Ancient
ID: 1914143

Dr. Who is the best
My English is very poor.
Apadamek
Forum Expert

Voyager ruined the borg, made me sad :(
Image << Trader Feedback

Return to “The TV room”