AT solution: old concept, new specifics

Wepwaet
Forum Regular
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: System Lord
ID: 1926916

AT solution: old concept, new specifics

First off i'd like to tip my hat to Wolf359's thread about common suggestions already made and especially this...
Wolf359 wrote:30. AT generating planet IT'S NOT GOING TO BE ADDED!!!!!
35. Add MS damage to military experience IT'S NOT GOING TO BE ADDED!!!!!
Notice the part about MS damage... well hopefully it won't be the only one on the list to change over 8)

Current State of Affairs:
Now to the issue at hand. People fall into 3 categories, those that want turns to be scarce so they can make as large a profit as possible selling them, those that think more turns "speeds" up the game too much/ those that want the game to go back to how it was also fall in this category, and those that play actively(sometimes too actively) and go through a substantial amount of turns in a normal sitting. The first 2 groups should easily be spotted in this thread by their mindless criticism and should be ignored or if a mod will kindly keep their spam removed.

Currently we recieve 4 AT per turn(or 192 per day) up to 5000. It should be common knowledge that relying on natural turn generation (12 full attacks per day) is not feasable any longer with the pace the game has evolved. Unfortunately the 4 ways in which Forum has addressed this "gap" in turn generation vs. pace have proven incapable of completely solving the issue. The fact that AT are the most consumable of the 3 traded goods on the ingame market has led to quantity per trade decreasing to the point where even using all 3 MT's only gains 1920 AT(only 10 days worth of natural AT growth). The second option is to use the same MT's for non-tradable AT(2,560 which is still less than 2 weeks worth of natural AT growth). 31 hits per day, which is what you can make using all 3 MT's to buy AT and what you earn from natural growth, is not enough to match the games pace. While buying AT for $ via the ingame blackmarket is a way of obtaining AT in sufficient quantities, it is not practical for everyone and is therefore not a viable solution to closing the turn generation vs. pace gap. The last option currently available is trading for turns on the game forums. Unfortunately this is also not enough to close the gap with the result that turns on the forum market creep upward again and again as time goes on. This is good for those engaging in "profiteering" because they can mask their gouging of people as simply an "increase" in the cost of turns. Since none of these ways close the gap, a "new" responsible way that doesn't drasticly alter the games balance should be proposed.

AT Planets Revisited:
Given the headaches and balancing issues involved with the release of the other types of planets, it is no wonder that AT planets were never considered possible. Fortunately now that enough time has passed that most if not all of the balancing issues with other types of planets have been solved, we can seriously consider AT planets as a potential way to close the turn generation vs. pace gap and keep it closed without altering the pace of the game drasticly. The largest complaints against AT planets are that they will result in a "flooding" of the game with turns leading to random massings low AT prices on the forum market and a "quicker" game play.

While it is true that initially there will be some "flooding" in the game, the end results will be a dynamic turn generation growth that more closely matches the current pace of the game. The flooding effect should be no more than we've experienced in the several "tweaks" to turn generation so far. The market fluctuates as the price dips to account for the new source of turns and then unlike those previous times it levels out as people "develop" their own turn generation capacity. There is no dip and then continuous rise past previous prices.

A second common fear is that more turns will lead to random or pointless massings and a general downturn in behavior. Unfortunately for the people who champion this reason, the threshold for people being able to "afford" to randomly mass others is already here. At this point it doesn't matter if a person can only afford to mass 16 random people instead of the 20 they would be able to with turns accrued from an AT planet. A shortage of turns is not holding the moral fiber of the game together.

The third most common fear is that more turns will lead to a "quicker" pace in both game play and game growth. With regards to quicker game play this may be true but some people actively seek out those "live" battles and feel they add a missing componet to the game. With regards to game growth this fear is both false and misleading. The one true limitation anyone has in the game is time. As long as their is a way for people to procure turns outside the personal turn growth(im including natural turn growth and use of own MT's to obtain turns in this) then the people with the most time will invariably push the boundaries of the game. There is little difference if they use 60k turns a day instead of 50k when it comes to opening up a gap between the casual gamers and those in it to "win". Whether its warring or farming or raiding the key is the time they put in, not the turns they bought or generated.

Now that i've dispelled the three most common complaints, lets move on to reasons why AT planets will work. Planets as we all know are non permanent investments, AT planets will be just as susceptible to being taken as any other type given its practical use. They will need large investments in them to be not only worthwhile but also in their defenses. This will, like on other planet types, act to reduce the amount of abuse through extreme planet stats. Unlike the the other planet types originally, AT planets already have a limitation built in. This is of course the limitation only being able to generate and hold(this would be true from a planet generation perspective) 5000 turns. This limit already prevents most of the "common" abuse people would use AT planets for and some of the "uncommon" abuse as well. There is of course some potential for abuse, but then again the only part of the game that can't be abused in some way is the "delete account" button. Another limitation will be that at some point a person will generate turns at a higher rate then they use them. That is unless a person can go through 240k turns a day using all 5k an hour... and if so more power to them... seriously whatever computer is doing that needs more power!!

What this means for John Q Public:
With a decent investment and maybe a merlin or 3, he can reduce the natural "fill" time from 26 days to potentially 1 turn. That of course assumes that he can spen all 5k in a turn. After several months and investments, his turn growth rate should equal his turn expenditure rate or he should be able to easily buy his turn expenditure rate from the market at a relatively stable price. He no longer has to wait with dozens of others for turn sellers who inflate their prices or don't even have turns to sell. He no longer has to set brokers to buy AT's only to have the other person wait hours before accepting. He can now use all of his time to "play" the game at his speed.

What this means for Forum:
With all the underlying pieces there including well established limits, implemtation of the new planet type should be relatively quickly and painless. A previously static section of the game that needed periodic tweaks now runs dynamicly elimanating time needed down the road as well as complaints for said "tweaks". The drop in brokers could potentially reduce load on the system. There would be a reduction in multi's due to being able to get "all" your turns through your main account.(please note im not saying I have or condone multi's, only that there would be less "need" for them) An update that can be percieved to support both larger older accounts as well as newer smaller accounts.

Concluding thoughts:
The time has come to close the gap between turn generation and game pace. Using AT planets provides a dynamic solution to a problem which has only seen static bandaides in the past. Ease of implementation and non-drastic alteration of the existing game pace are important components of this proposal. Provided a well thought out cost to benefit ratio when implemented, this proposal can provide "wins" in several fields that have needed attention, including the main one of strengthing user respect for Admin by addressing their concerns whether they are new or old, large or small.

Thanks,
Wep

PS Constructive comments only please, and please make sure you include reasoning with your comments ;)

Update 1: Due to popular demand and how it will cut down abuse, AT generated by planets should be NON-tradable. In other words for personal use only.
Last edited by Wepwaet on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaYHeM ID:1926916 Feedback
Spoiler
Lore wrote:We can not police human stupidity, carelessness, rudeness, or abiquity.
Mordack wrote:You know that your acronym is TOOL, right?
Wakko wrote:[2010-05-14 12:31:36] <LegendaryApophis> See admin, he massed me because he didn't like the update
[2010-05-14 12:31:50] <Wepwaet> no cause we don't like you
[2010-05-14 12:31:54] <adminHere> lol legend
Tell the preening egos to put a sock in it! Vote "None of the above" for Ombudsman now!
Sarevok
Forum Addict
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 0

Re: AT solution: old concept, new specifics

Non-permanent investments? Someone i know is currently merlining 9 duals. Therefor, they could merlin 9 AT planets. If AT planets were as rare as duals were (before the update), then, imagin if they got 9 of them on 1 account in an alliance. Do you really want to go to war with someone that COULD make 5kAT/turn...

I'm all for having cheeper/more available turns, but like your concerns with more random massing, and mine with an alliance with 9 AT planets, i just don't see it being done

A possible point to consider however. What about the ability to TAKE turns from others. Then you could "AT farm" inactives as you would with raiding. With a ratio of like 5-1 turns received to used.

PS: Good to see more people putting thought/effort into improving the game
Caprila
Grand Master of the Inquisition
Race: Immortal

I think the point Wepwaet is making, is that you can generate as many AT as you like per turn using planets .. BUT BUT

The maximum on turn generation is still 5k. As soon as you reach 5k again, 9 merlined AT planets will mean absolutely squat, as the generation will 'stop' until you use more.

Look at people's incomes ingame, 40-50bil/turn isn't all that uncommon anymore. In a few months time, when turn prices go to 1tril per 1k AT, they will still be able to afford enough to do the random massing that Already happens.

But, those not making 1tril in a week. . will find it increasinly difficult to even get started.

Something radical is indeed needed to help things and I will be intersted to see how this discussion goes.

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Desert Ghost
Forum Regular
Alliance: Delta
Race: Terran
ID: 1905267

i would have liked this idea.
but to mark planets generated ATs as personal... no GAIN FROM THEM.
and yeha, the way i see it, soon 1kAT will be jumping to about 1mill uus and 600bill... then more and more
unteill if u want to mass someone, ull think 10times about the turns costs.
iremember the days the ATs ware sold for 90bill lol[yeha i know there pp SGW older then but still]
i hope this will happen asap.
DG
Orpheus
Forum Intermediate

i like the idea of making AT's stealable

can even be serious tool in a war when you can steal each others at's,
use 10at's to steal 15 at's from opponent
if the account has not been logged into for 1 month you only need 8 at's to steal 15at's, if not logged in for 2 month, only 6 needed and so on
arkangel13
Forum Expert
Alliance: RR

raise turns to 10 per round or have a market in game that u can trade naq for turns and not use forums to find turns.

I guess make it reasonable price but not to cheap. but make those turns non tradeable so u cant have big accounts just mass buying turns in that market.
ImageImage
renegadze
Forum Elite

Orpheus wrote:i like the idea of making AT's stealable

if the account has not been logged into for 1 month you only need 8 at's to steal 15at's, if not logged in for 2 month, only 6 needed and so on

and for all those accounts not logged for even longer? you'd effectively be able to get turns for nothing...there must be thousands of accounts out there with 5k turns on them.

IMO that would totally destroy the market for AT's
Spoiler
ImageImageImage
shooty08
Forum Regular
Alliance: The Collective
Race: Hell no, I'm lazy
ID: 1950023

why not just make it so each person can only have one AT planet?
better yet, let's make it a planet they already own... their home planet. and make the amount of AT's generated per turn upgradable like every other planet, but more expensive for upgrade and to a lower ceiling.
Desert Ghost
Forum Regular
Alliance: Delta
Race: Terran
ID: 1905267

yes i agree.
but i hope im not the only one worried about how high those turns will get.
think of the day that ull need to put weeks put in naq...
not to mention the guys who can afford it, it will create capitalisem style accounts, that probably gonna bond... that could be the start of the end.
DG
Wepwaet
Forum Regular
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: System Lord
ID: 1926916

Like a good thread author should, im going to respond and poke holes in everyone's rebuttals :-D

@ Sarevok
[spoiler]
Sarevok wrote:Non-permanent investments? Someone i know is currently merlining 9 duals. Therefor, they could merlin 9 AT planets. If AT planets were as rare as duals were (before the update), then, imagin if they got 9 of them on 1 account in an alliance. Do you really want to go to war with someone that COULD make 5kAT/turn...

I'm all for having cheeper/more available turns, but like your concerns with more random massing, and mine with an alliance with 9 AT planets, i just don't see it being done

A possible point to consider however. What about the ability to TAKE turns from others. Then you could "AT farm" inactives as you would with raiding. With a ratio of like 5-1 turns received to used.

PS: Good to see more people putting thought/effort into improving the game
The first thing your forgetting is that the person merlining 9 planets is spending $$ to do so. That means they fall under the group that has the capacity to buy however many turns they want from the ingame black market. They are already doing what they want however often they want. This would be a case of 6 of one or a half dozen of another to them. I have already shown the the random massing fear is just the boogey man under the bed since the practice is already here and in use. As for "farming" AT's, i'd like to point out two problems off hand. The greater of the two is the fact that you could use a person's own AT to mass them. This would completely remove all limits on AT's because you could "produce" more each turn than the 5k limit this way. The lesser of the two problems is that you are outsourcing the production process elsewhere meaning that "profiteers" will still be quite prevelent in the system. I would consider AT farming a second less effective solution because of the "living off the enemy land" side effect.[/spoiler]
@ Caprila
[spoiler]
Caprila wrote:I think the point Wepwaet is making, is that you can generate as many AT as you like per turn using planets .. BUT BUT

The maximum on turn generation is still 5k. As soon as you reach 5k again, 9 merlined AT planets will mean absolutely squat, as the generation will 'stop' until you use more.

Look at people's incomes ingame, 40-50bil/turn isn't all that uncommon anymore. In a few months time, when turn prices go to 1tril per 1k AT, they will still be able to afford enough to do the random massing that Already happens.

But, those not making 1tril in a week. . will find it increasinly difficult to even get started.

Something radical is indeed needed to help things and I will be intersted to see how this discussion goes.
Still saving it for the admin meet? :-D [/spoiler]
@ Desert Ghost
[spoiler]
Desert Ghost wrote:i would have liked this idea.
but to mark planets generated ATs as personal... no GAIN FROM THEM.
and yeha, the way i see it, soon 1kAT will be jumping to about 1mill uus and 600bill... then more and more
unteill if u want to mass someone, ull think 10times about the turns costs.
iremember the days the ATs ware sold for 90bill lol[yeha i know there pp SGW older then but still]
i hope this will happen asap.
DG
I am assuming that by marking the AT's as personal that you mean making them nontradable? That would be a good way of closing up a loophole or two. Thanks for the input![/spoiler]
@ Orpheus
[spoiler]

Unfortunately that would be another drawback to making AT's stealable. I can picture the situation now, an alliance makes a first strike on another removing both their defenses AND their turns thus preventing them from hitting back. Add to that the snowball risk inherent from "living off the enemy land" as I talked about earlier, and it could be quite possible to keep the ones hit without turns to fight back with with only a moderately active alliance.[/spoiler]
@ Arkangel13
[spoiler]
arkangel13 wrote:raise turns to 10 per round or have a market in game that u can trade naq for turns and not use forums to find turns.

I guess make it reasonable price but not to cheap. but make those turns non tradeable so u cant have big accounts just mass buying turns in that market.
Just raising the number of turns per round is no different from the widely spaced static bandaides we get now... and their IS an ingame market to buy turns from, the shortfalls of which i've pointed out. Your ideas are allready in use and are not sufficient to close the "gap". The goal is to close the gap and do it dynamicly so that we don't need another "tweak" 6-12months down the line.[/spoiler]
@ Renegadze
[spoiler]
renegadze wrote:

and for all those accounts not logged for even longer? you'd effectively be able to get turns for nothing...there must be thousands of accounts out there with 5k turns on them.

IMO that would totally destroy the market for AT's
I agree and have already pointed out a couple more problems with that solution[/spoiler]
@ Shooty08
[spoiler]
shooty08 wrote:why not just make it so each person can only have one AT planet?
better yet, let's make it a planet they already own... their home planet. and make the amount of AT's generated per turn upgradable like every other planet, but more expensive for upgrade and to a lower ceiling.
Every reward needs to be balanced by a risk. By shifting the upgrade to a "safe" home planet you remove the risk and some of the natural limitations planets add as safeguards.[/spoiler]
@ Desert Ghost
[spoiler]
Desert Ghost wrote:yes i agree.
but i hope im not the only one worried about how high those turns will get.
think of the day that ull need to put weeks put in naq...
not to mention the guys who can afford it, it will create capitalisem style accounts, that probably gonna bond... that could be the start of the end.
DG
Im fairly positive that Forum won't let the situation get THAT bad. At the very least he will continue to rarely provide "tweaks" that bring the prices under control for a short duration before they start to rise again.[/spoiler]

Some good comments, some not so helpful ones and an interesting secondary idea... all in all a good start ;)
MaYHeM ID:1926916 Feedback
Spoiler
Lore wrote:We can not police human stupidity, carelessness, rudeness, or abiquity.
Mordack wrote:You know that your acronym is TOOL, right?
Wakko wrote:[2010-05-14 12:31:36] <LegendaryApophis> See admin, he massed me because he didn't like the update
[2010-05-14 12:31:50] <Wepwaet> no cause we don't like you
[2010-05-14 12:31:54] <adminHere> lol legend
Tell the preening egos to put a sock in it! Vote "None of the above" for Ombudsman now!
shooty08
Forum Regular
Alliance: The Collective
Race: Hell no, I'm lazy
ID: 1950023

the way I see it, commands, and therefore ATs, come from the home planet. putting the additional capacity to upgrade the home planets AT generating capacity makes sense to me because no one else can conquer it. I agree though, that a risk needs to be added, since it is basically 'safe'... maybe the upgrades are damaged by attacks like weapons and units and have to be repaired/replenished?
Sarevok
Forum Addict
Race: NanoTiMaster

I'm with shooty08 if this was going to come in. But in relation to what i said, it's not about 1 persons ability, it's about an alliances. The alliance with sed person, if awake for 16 hours, could send in effect, 5kAT to 32 other players in their alliance. My concern is not with an individual's ability to do it, and probably not use them all, but an alliances ability for free turns once the investment is made.

With relation to do whatever whenever, max spend/month is $200 = 200kAT. That would take less then 1 day to produce by that account(if you assume someone can look after it and send the AT off whilst they are asleep). So, summing up, total/month for $$ = 200k. Total/month with 9 planets (assuming 8 hours down time) 4800k (or 4.8m AT)
Colton
Forum Elder
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Canadian
ID: 1938534

Some good suggestions/ideas being put in here 8)

I think any extra AT generation from planets/home planet/etc should be for personal use ONLY; otherwise, the game WILL be ruled by cheaters (multies) and people who can afford to throw cash into the game.

My idea: Put in an extra planet slot meant only for an AT planet, make it cost around 3tril to upgrade to say an extra 5 AT per turn(increasing cost dramatically higher up), but make it so that the AT are untradeable, and that they get held in the planet until you withdraw them.. The max a planet holds until it doesn't produce anymore could be limited to 100/250/500/1000/2000 etc
- Now that I think about it, perhaps the SIZE of the planet could determine how much extra it can hold before being maxed out? :)
The planet would be takable of course, and maybe even assultable?

I disagree with the AT raiding idea, WAYYY too many inactive accounts with 5k AT...

I would like to see the game grow out of it's AT restraints, but not to the point where cheaters make the big bucks.. I strongly suggest any AT increase to be for personal use only :?
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

Well for the original idea, its to abuseable by "multis" and "friends" who just log in to move resources to other peoples accounts.

With the idea of making them none tradeable the idea is much better but still is unbalanced.

As for the planet Idea, it should be as all planets should have been originally and thats limited on how many of 1 type you can have. 10 AT planets is begging for abuse. And the idea of creating 5K AT a turn is ludacrist at best. Alliances will keep 1 or 2 "dead" account around producing 5K per turn. Plus you will see alot of oppurtunist doing it to sell the AT for $$. Then you will see 10K AT going for 1$ in BM.

Now, I do think the overall idea has merit, and is workable. It just needs some serious limitation put in place. As you have suggested it, you might as well just make turns unlimited.

Another big problem is it will most definitely hurt lone wolfs, and smaller alliances. Plus newer alliances will never stand a chance as they will have to buy turns from market where bigger alliances will have them for free.

As for the home planet AT production Idea, why not make it a rolling cost? The more per turn you invest the more AT you produce? If you go on Crit Nox the AT production stops.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
Colton
Forum Elder
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Canadian
ID: 1938534

Lore wrote:As for the home planet AT production Idea, why not make it a rolling cost? The more per turn you invest the more AT you produce?

Care to explain a bit more on that? :)

Return to “Suggestions Archive”