Warning Points and Bannings

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
MaxSterling
Forum Elite
Alliance: The Dark Dominium
ID: 83707
Alternate name(s): Naq Daddy, The guy that just stole your naq.

Warning Points and Bannings

My recent banning has brought forth a couple of questions...

1.) Warning points... do they expire? I checked my inbox once I was able to log back into my forum account and notice that one of my other two warnings was received on January 9th, 2010. I must've accidentally deleted the other warning I got, but that's nearly 4 months ago. Surely that warning should have expired by now.

2.) 2-week banning... does the punishment fit the crime? Even if the ruling on my banning was not overturned, was a 2-week banning fair? My January warning was received for 1 spam post. I'm unsure what my other warning was for, but 2-weeks? I can understand 1-3 days, perhaps 1-week at most... but 2-weeks? It's not like I'm here pushing the envelope. I do make some heated posts when it comes to game updates or when I'm defending the true value of my account, but surely everyone receiving 3 warnings for their first time are not deserving of a 2-week banning. There should be some kind of predetermined tier system established on bannings, not a flat 2-week banning for all cases receiving 3 warnings.
Spoiler
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Re: Warning Points and Bannings

MaxSterling wrote:1.) Warning points... do they expire? I checked my inbox once I was able to log back into my forum account and notice that one of my other two warnings was received on January 9th, 2010. I must've accidentally deleted the other warning I got, but that's nearly 4 months ago. Surely that warning should have expired by now.

They expire every sixth months.

MaxSterling wrote:2.) 2-week banning... does the punishment fit the crime? Even if the ruling on my banning was not overturned, was a 2-week banning fair? My January warning was received for 1 spam post. I'm unsure what my other warning was for, but 2-weeks? I can understand 1-3 days, perhaps 1-week at most... but 2-weeks? It's not like I'm here pushing the envelope. I do make some heated posts when it comes to game updates or when I'm defending the true value of my account, but surely everyone receiving 3 warnings for their first time are not deserving of a 2-week banning. There should be some kind of predetermined tier system established on bannings, not a flat 2-week banning for all cases receiving 3 warnings.

Yes, it is fair. 3 warnings is a lot, most other sites would permanently ban you and most users never get two.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

What the public needs to know is simple: Don't get yourself a warning, steer clear of ambiguous situations and you'll be fine. See a riot, turn around and run like hell.
[BoT] Jason
Forum History
Alliance: TA
Race: DIEDAYDIEDAY
ID: 13003152
Alternate name(s): Pimp,Slenderman

i have 3. should have 5. they expire yes

2 weeks is not harsh. P.S. its just a forum. if you cant last 2 weeks with out posting maybe go outside for a while?
Pimping

Feb 06, 06:16 Field Marshall Attack defended 15 88,977,968 0 x,x62,635,278,400 900,114 details

| | Hero of the Year | |

Winner: BMMJ13
MaxSterling
Forum Elite

Jason... wrote:i have 3. should have 5. they expire yes

2 weeks is not harsh. P.S. its just a forum. if you cant last 2 weeks with out posting maybe go outside for a while?

Not lasting 2 weeks is not the issue and I realize this is a forum. I play 1- 3 days/week and forum post or accept brokers on my days off. Being banned from the forums severely limited my access to the Market Section of this forum, which also severely restricts my in-game play, as well. I'm highly active
on my days in-game that I'm not on PPT. I'm always looking for ATs and UU, and also bumping my account sale topic.

Juliette wrote:What the public needs to know is simple: Don't get yourself a warning, steer clear of ambiguous situations and you'll be fine. See a riot, turn around and run like hell.

While it's all good in theory, whether or not we get a warning seems to be determined on the mood of the moderator staff. It's very difficult to gauge the mood of the staff when one day you can say something, the next day you get modded for it.

6 month expiration seems awful long to me. Perhaps it's the type of forums that I frequent, but this is the only forum that I have ever been a part of that has a 6-month expiration. Most others have 1-3 month expirations. 6-months seems ridiculous.
Spoiler
MaxSterling
Forum Elite

Wakko wrote:I believe you can still 'see' the forums when you're banned/not logged in.

Seeing the market section and posting what you're willing to buy at are two different things... I always buy at a slightly lower rate than what is the norm. People like the fact that I'm usually online when I create my threads and accept 90% of my brokers almost immediately. 98-99% are accepted within the time frame I provide. Only 1-2 times I've fallen asleep without updating my thread and accepted immediately when I woke up. It's that reliability that when I create a thread, that people know I'll almost always immediately accept the broker, which allows me to buy at slightly lower rates.
Spoiler
MaxSterling
Forum Elite

Wakko wrote:So it's an inconvenience to you.
Although it is the staff's job to issue warnings/mod topics..etc.. it can inconvenience the staff to issue a warning and clean a thread if they have to do it while having to take a break from something else that they were doing.
In my case, it was an inconvenience that was wrongfully received.

If it's an inconvenience for a staff member to do their job, then perhaps they shouldn't have that position in the first place?

Either way, I'll stop replying to this thread because I fear that should I respond any further... I'll probably receive another warning that has more to do with a staff member not liking me or what I said, rather than actually breaking a rule... which is another matter.
Spoiler
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

we could have been much harsher... like having short bans as well for the first two warnings...

or had warnings last forever...

out of the about 1300 active users on these forums, only 104 have warnings...
out of those, 38 have more than one warning... so that means that there are 66 users with only one warning...

with the above estimates, 8% of the active userbase have warnings at all, and 3% total have more than one warning... (well, 2,92% but that rounds to 3)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Q Man
blarney stone
ID: 0

you should consider yourself lucky, i remember before the warning system was in place i got banned for 4 weeks, for something worthy of one "warning"

and i find the 6 month reset more than generous. after the first warning, most people don't make the same mistakes, yet there are some users with 6+ warnings and i consider them lucky not have a perma ban after 6 warnings.
I grew up on the street. No, not the hood, the Sesame Street.
[/size]
ImageImage
admin wrote:[23:50] * ~adminHere loves Q_Man
Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
ID: 0

Juliette wrote:What the public needs to know is simple: Don't get yourself a warning, steer clear of ambiguous situations and you'll be fine. See a riot, turn around and run like hell.

even easier, don't ever post.
than you can never be warned.
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rights
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Hitchkok wrote:
even easier, don't ever post.
than you can never be warned.
Perfect solution if one is too stupid to avoid warnings like our regular users. Agreed, fair point.
[BoT] Jason
Forum History
Alliance: TA
Race: DIEDAYDIEDAY
ID: 13003152
Alternate name(s): Pimp,Slenderman

Zeratul wrote:out of those, 38 have more than one warning...
i'm one of 38 :shock:

*feels special*
Pimping

Feb 06, 06:16 Field Marshall Attack defended 15 88,977,968 0 x,x62,635,278,400 900,114 details

| | Hero of the Year | |

Winner: BMMJ13
moses
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Leaf
Race: Na'vi
ID: 48618

How many of us actives with warnings are sitting at 8 :smt047

I think i know of 3 :-k
Spoiler
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

correct, there is one on 9, and two on 7...

we're not going to reveal anything about whom...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
moses
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Leaf
Race: Na'vi
ID: 48618

moses confused i was sure there is 3 of us with 8 warning each and 1 away from perma if not that means i got a couple to spare :smt047
Spoiler

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”