WTH?

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
ID: 0

WTH?

Juliette wrote:Per June 1st 2010, the debate section will no longer host debates on subjects under the category religion.
For a more specific outline, contact Juliette.

Enjoy the final 28 hours.

as the topic implies, WTH?
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rights
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Re: WTH?

Hitchkok wrote:
Juliette wrote:Per June 1st 2010, the debate section will no longer host debates on subjects under the category religion.

I bet you didn't do that before coming and posting here!
Image ImageImageImage
LegendaryA
Forum Expert
Alliance: Lost Legends
ID: 7889

I for my case, asked her and got a reply.

---

Anyway, debate section will probably become slighty less active than it is currently.
We will see how this goes...probably less controversy, and less modding needed.

Gonna be hard not to post religious-related content, because interesting debates often finish by bringing religious arguments.
Temp account.
Spoiler
>>Image <<
'Which country are you from?' [Poll]
Spoiler
~~New World Order (Novus Ordo Mundi) is bs. Novus ordo seclorum means "New World of the Ages".~~
Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate

Clarkey wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:

I bet you didn't do that before coming and posting here!

had her post been somewhat less cryptic, and somewhat more reasoned (as beffiting a post in the debate section), i would have.
anyway, it is not a personal issue, but a public one. therefore i see no reason to keep it private.
oh, and "yes, i am black" responded the kettle to the teapot, "what is it to you?"
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rights
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo
Thriller
Forum Addict
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator

I would love to see this in action since society and religion are so closely linked.

What you guys want to talk about now? BOXERS vs BREIFS?
Spoiler
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

A better solution might be to have a disclaimer on the debate section; similar to the one which the GC currently has. That way people with strong views who are likely to be offended will have an idea of what they're getting in for. Curtailing intelligent debate to placate a small minority isn't a good thing.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

those religious debates are boring unless there is at least one person playing the role of an prior of the ori...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Thriller
Forum Addict
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator

Zeratul wrote:those religious debates are boring unless there is at least one person playing the role of an prior of the ori...

Boring does not justify abolishment
Spoiler
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

we didnt try to justify... we dont have anywhere near enough knowledge to judge that case...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

There is no need for such a rule, it's pointless and flies in the face of "intelligent discussion."
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Planet of Tatooine
Race: Sand People

In other words, welcome to China/North Korea

Mordack wrote:A better solution might be to have a disclaimer on the debate section; similar to the one which the GC currently has. That way people with strong views who are likely to be offended will have an idea of what they're getting in for. Curtailing intelligent debate to placate a small minority isn't a good thing.

This ^
Thriller wrote:What you guys want to talk about now? BOXERS vs BREIFS?

I loled

All in all, most debates are on the basis of religion/belief/ideas/philosophies,

One can say they use boxers religiously and refute the fact there is such thing as briefs.
Beware - The Sleeper Has Awoken
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Hitchkok wrote:had her post been somewhat less cryptic, and somewhat more reasoned (as beffiting a post in the debate section), i would have.
anyway, it is not a personal issue, but a public one. therefore i see no reason to keep it private.
Fair enough.
Mordack wrote:A better solution might be to have a disclaimer on the debate section; similar to the one which the GC currently has. That way people with strong views who are likely to be offended will have an idea of what they're getting in for. Curtailing intelligent debate to placate a small minority isn't a good thing.
Curtailing intelligent debate? Have you looked at the section of late? If anything curtailed intelligent debate, it is the increasing presence of 'religious' arguments. The dogmatic mannerisms of the section's population preclude actual debate. Unless you would consider repeating your arguments ad nauseam "because they're right" intelligent debate, but that would surprise me.
As for placating a minority.. I have yet to see a smaller subset of forum members placated by any other measure.

Debate is a game/type of conversation of give and take. The debating groups have forgotten this, and have retreated into their Holy Fortresses (for calling them 'houses' would be an understatement) of Dogma and Fallacy.
Zeratul wrote:those religious debates are boring unless there is at least one person playing the role of an prior of the ori...
And that is in part the very core of the issue. People are too invested in their own mindset, too convinced that they should convince others that their frame of reference is the only frame of reference with the potential of revealing the Ultimate Truth.
If only people would play the role of 'Prior of the Ori' or carry any other argument that is not their own.
The debates involving religion are unproductive. In fact, they are a hindrance to actual intelligent debate, defying the very definition of debate by their sheer unwillingness to allow for other opinions. People cannot dissociate with their argument, and are as a consequence unable to accept other arguments occupying 'the same space'.
Dr. House wrote:There is no need for such a rule, it's pointless and flies in the face of "intelligent discussion."
Really? The population of the debate section has shown not to be able to handle the category of subjects, instead of debate, the threads have become pulpits for repetitive arguments. Not 'boring', no.. non-debate. And non-debate does not belong in the debate section. Does it?

It is not a matter of 'boring'. It is self-degradation. If you want a free stage to spew self-centered non-arguments, regardless of your audience who have come to the section with as stubborn a thought as your own.. that can be arranged. Self-degradation is fine, if you must. But do not defile 'Debate' by degrading it along with yourself.
Debate is not a clashing of multiple Immovable, Unchangeable Bulwarks of Dogma. Debate is an exchange of ideas. Give and take, to the enrichment of us all.

We have been sliding down this slope, and it is about time that ended. Unless you have mind-shattering arguments why this gradual devaluation should be allowed to continue? As Thriller knows, I am open to other thoughts.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

perhaps those religious fanatics that arent priors of the ori should get another subsection to debate in? one designed for religious debate, and then keep the rule you wanted in the intelligent section? Would that placate them?

Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

VERY WELL put Juliette. The very effort and strive one has to argument something with both ideas and facts should be to enrich the culture and way of thinking of all not this vile spectacle or self righteousness. A directive of civilized men is not to criticize or comment on the beliefs of others but in extreme conditions the beliefs themselves. We have greatly succumbed from what was intelligent design of thought and what perplexes me is that you would continue on that path.
Bias Admin colour
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Zeratul wrote:perhaps those religious fanatics that arent priors of the ori should get another subsection to debate in? one designed for religious debate, and then keep the rule you wanted in the intelligent section? Would that placate them?
I could see that work, yes. I have told Thriller this in our private conversation, a completely uncensored (except to stay on topic, the bare minimum) "Pulpit forum" added to the Debate section would be a good option in my opinion.
My wish is not to ban debate on the subjects pertaining to religion, but to find a workable solution to the current issue. Sloth on my part, and on the part of all debaters, has led us to this situation. :) We need to have a word, Z.

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”