Should school corporal punishment be brought back?

YES!
27%
NO!
73%

Total votes: 11
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

Well?

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
stuff of legends
Forum Expert
Alliance: The Legion

Re: Should school corporal punishment be brought back?

yes and no, but my reasoning would be behind the parenting not being suffice, that being allowing their children to cause havoc at the community, themselves and other people. You can see what a 'wonderful' parenting regime they use here by walking through the inner city or any bus mall.
There would be no real need for corporal punishment in school otherwise.
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

NO,never.
I saw kids getting beat up BADLY by teachers when i was in grade school, never again. No one ever dared touch me because I had a look on my face that said "touch me and i'll touch back", been this way ever since. If anyone even thinks about touching my children (if i ever have any) i'll rain hell on them.
Bias Admin colour
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

Malx wrote:NO,never.
I saw kids getting beat up BADLY by teachers when i was in grade school, never again. No one ever dared touch me because I had a look on my face that said "touch me and i'll touch back", been this way ever since. If anyone even thinks about touching my children (if i ever have any) i'll rain hell on them.

:?

Off topic don't you think mate? this isn't a discussion about self defence, or what you would and would not do!

This discussion was prompted by my son yesterday who came home from school and told me he is finding it hard to learn in science because of other children being so disruptive on his table. i told my boy to tell these girls to (in not so many words) to shut up and if that fails to tell the teacher he wants to be moved, and if that fails to take it to his head of year, and if that fails to take it to the deputy head, and if that fails to take it to the head and if all else fails i'll go to the school and sort them out...but why should it come down to a situation where i have to go to the school to take car of such a situation?!

My question then becomes...would these kids be so disruptive if there was a cane next to the teachers table where all the kids can see it?

-David Icke
stuff of legends
Forum Expert

[KMA]Avenger wrote:My question then becomes...would these kids be so disruptive if there was a cane next to the teachers table where all the kids can see it?

So you're just saying should teachers utilize fear more to control a classroom?
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

Fear used in a positive way is a good thing. by the same token, a teacher who abuses that authority should also be sanctioned and/or lose his job as a teacher depending on the severity of abuse by the teacher.

I am not condoning corporal punishment in schools as the first line of discipline, but that option should be available if the situation warrants such action.

I'm a father of 3 boys and on occasion i smacked my kids when they were younger, my eldest son who is now 14 just the other day said something so disrespectful i threatened him with a beating and he nearly jumped out of his skin and apologised to his mum and said he will never speak to here like that again....i didn't have to lay a hand on him because he new he crossed the line and i would have no hesitation in giving him a beating if he did it again...just an example of what i mean by fear being something positive if used correctly.#

BTW, i haven't had the need to smack my kids in YEARS, and everyone who meets my boys, or when my boys go to their friends house always comments on how well behaved they are.

-David Icke
stuff of legends
Forum Expert

no doubt, i was punished with anything laying around the house haha, it seemed to work, after i look back now, so I'm not denying that corporal punishment does have a positive benefit. But giving the teachers the ability to do so when its more of a parental concern is a problem. Telling a student to shut up or leave the room I would think, normally would suffice, if it so happens to escalate from there or becomes a constant problem then the parents should intervene.
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord

1) The EU would never allow it, we fought 2 world wars so that we would not have to be subducted by, and accept the laws of a undemocratic superstate, then we just surrendered to one even when public opinion was strongly against it.

2) Corporal Punishment usually includes the death penalty, which in theory is fair, a life for a life etc. But only works if the legal system works. How many people would have been executed by the state for crimes they didnt commit since the last UK hanging ???

3) Lesser corporal punishment measures like in schools have the even greater risk of abuse and mistakes since judgment is instant and made by individuals rather than judge & jury, individuals who are not qualified to make such judgments or carry out such sentences.

4) Even in my school days ( 15 years ago ) if a teacher had tried to hurt a student, a large number of students would have risen up and beaten the teacher. Now I suspect the teacher would be crucified in the classroom.

5) Out of control kids are the responsibility of the parents, you dont need to beat a child to discipline them, there are many punishments for bad behavior and rewards for good that can used, the parents that fail are the ones who just want an easy life and try to palm this responsibility off on schools, police etc. Children should be scared when a teacher says he will tell the parents.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie

MEZZANINE wrote:1) The EU would never allow it, we fought 2 world wars so that we would not have to be subducted by, and accept the laws of a undemocratic superstate, then we just surrendered to one even when public opinion was strongly against it.

Very true, and i'm glad you raised that point. i had it in mind but if i was to bring it up people would start on me again about how i hate the EU blah blah blah...

MEZZANINE wrote:2) Corporal Punishment usually includes the death penalty, which in theory is fair, a life for a life etc. But only works if the legal system works. How many people would have been executed by the state for crimes they didnt commit since the last UK hanging ???

I think you have confused corporal punishment with capital punishment....not that i'm against capital punishment, but that's a whole different topic i am glad to debate...wait, didn't we have the debate already? :? :-k

Pretty sure we did, just cant be arsed to go see 8-[

-David Icke
noone
Forum Elite
Alliance: none
Race: gone
ID: 0
Alternate name(s): Nostradamus,Nostra,NanoBite,Drought,Darkwing Duck,Duck Dodgers,Medusa,Star Nova,System Mistress,*The Exile,ingolfúr,Belle,Lagertha.

Simply put, no. Never.

Nice example:

25 years or so ago, in my lower grade school, we had this awesome teacher who made yokes, wits and what not and was considered one fo the most kind and populair teachers of that school.
I was one of the populair crowd and generally behaved friendly/cooperative towards teachers.
Now, both of us had a bad day, he the teacher had some RL issues, and I was having some issues too, cant recall what, but I was being a pain at that point in the class.

I was taken apart in a sepperate room and the teacher, was massively ranting at me, up to a point we we both were calling eachother names (mind you I was 8 or so) eventually the **Filtered** grap my by the ears/side of my head, and smacked me once as he lifted me up in the air.... mid air, I kicked him in the balls and he let go after which I stormed out the school and ran home crying.

Moral of the story, everyone can have a bad day, you better think twice if you want a person to be 'allowed' to lay corporal punishments on kids, your kids.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Yes.

Separate the execution from the judging, and you will be spared Nostra's ordeal.
(i.e. involve 2 people, even if only as a second opinion in the classroom)
stuff of legends
Forum Expert

Juliette wrote:Separate the execution from the judging, and you will be spared Nostra's ordeal.
(i.e. involve 2 people, even if only as a second opinion in the classroom)

If I'm not mistaken (in Australia) you were sent to the headmaster back in the day for the paddle/belt/weapon of choice. So that would solve that problem.
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

If any teacher tried that at my old school, I guarantee he'd be stabbed by lunch ;)

And if anyone thinks I'm exaggerating this is the kind of thing that happened at my school:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... mpage.html

Discipline at home is the way forward - by the time they're at secondary school its far too late. Hell, half my mates regularly brought knives to school. You think a cane would scare them? lol
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human

Honours and Awards

RepliMagni wrote:If any teacher tried that at my old school, I guarantee he'd be stabbed by lunch ;)

And if anyone thinks I'm exaggerating this is the kind of thing that happened at my school:

Discipline at home is the way forward - by the time they're at secondary school its far too late. Hell, half my mates regularly brought knives to school. You think a cane would scare them? lol

I know what you mean, i've had a killing at my school my senior year and more than once have my fellow peers tried to shiv me. Respect cannot be enforced by fear or punishment, it must be earned!
Bias Admin colour
GOLDEN WING
Wraith
Alliance: ~RiCoS_WÅrLoRdS~
Race: Heatwave
ID: 0

Malx wrote:
RepliMagni wrote:If any teacher tried that at my old school, I guarantee he'd be stabbed by lunch ;)

I know what you mean, i've had a killing at my school my senior year and more than once have my fellow peers tried to shiv me. Respect cannot be enforced by fear or punishment, it must be earned!

Seriously just NO...

If a teacher is good at what they do they will Enforce Punishment in the form of Writing out and detentions..that is all that's needed .Personally at my school /Class some teachers that raise there voices and Follow through with punishments earn there pupils respect and we don't talk or fool around in there classes but the others that are shy and don't follow through with punishment are just bad teachers really.

2/7 i respect the rest just need to be much stronger and have more Self Esteem and they will be able to keep there classes under control without the help of a wooden Bat/Stick.

SO NO it won't solve anything and just do more harm then good.

Golden
Golden's Trade feedback
13,340,362,434,249 power remaining, they manage to eliminate 720,000 of ??????'s Covert Ops!
20,630,871,718,938 power remaining, they manage to eliminate 2.970.149 of steeooo's Undercover Agents!

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”