Mod Endorsing / Helping a scammer ????

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Re: Mod Endorsing / Helping a scammer ????

Juliette wrote:
[BoT] Jack wrote:Did Lone Dragon even know Harch was accused of scamming?
I'll say it again. The only way this complaint would be valid is if LD knowingly and willingly participated in a conspiracy to artificially boost Harch's reputation in order to bring in more victims.
But that's clearly not what happened, hell he may not have even known Harch was accused of scamming.
This isn't about LD, Harchester or Mezzanine anymore, Black One.

A discussion which the foundation lies in the initial complaint. The names are interchangeable. The point being that there is nothing wrong with posting your experience trading with a user, be they scammer or not, be you mod or not.

Don't want me to use LD and Harch in my argument? Fine, replace LD with Earendil and Harch with Knowledge(AssassinX).
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

[BoT] Jack wrote:
Juliette wrote:
[BoT] Jack wrote:Did Lone Dragon even know Harch was accused of scamming?
I'll say it again. The only way this complaint would be valid is if LD knowingly and willingly participated in a conspiracy to artificially boost Harch's reputation in order to bring in more victims.
But that's clearly not what happened, hell he may not have even known Harch was accused of scamming.
This isn't about LD, Harchester or Mezzanine anymore, Black One.

A discussion which the foundation lies in the initial complaint. The names are interchangeable. The point being that there is nothing wrong with posting your experience trading with a user, be they scammer or not, be you mod or not.

Don't want me to use LD and Harch in my argument? Fine, replace LD with Eärendil and Harch with Knowledge(AssassinX).
Aye. Makes sense.
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=78990

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=176924

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=170299

All of these have scammed in the past and could do so again, but guess what, people still give positive feedback..... but oh wait... none of them have a "uniform" so we won't moan and groan..... what a load of smeg.
Image ImageImageImage
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

I really don't understand why mods have this siege mentality and jump down user's throats....

A market mod posted he had a good experience trading with a known scammer. At best, people will see that and think Harch at least does some good deals. At worst, people will see it as a market mod endorsing him.

I really don't understand why almost every mod/admin posting here refuses to accept that people will interpret it as the latter. Yes, LD meant it as the former, but a forum newbie could very easily interpret it as the latter. Heck, that's how Mezz took it on first reading. Yes, Mezz overreacted and he's admitted that. But at the very least LD's post was naive.

A market mod has a responsibility to know scammers and to at the very least not post something that could aid his scamming...which whether you like it or not, a market mod posting he had a good experience with Harch (whether one-off or otherwise) could potentially help him con someone else....
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

A market mod has a responsibility to know scammers? What a load of smeg! Does that mean i have a responsibility to know cheats?

We don't have a problem with how people interpret what LD posted, it seems people have a problem because the person that posted it has a blue name. i mean come on do you even know whether they knew he had been reported as a scammer?

A Mod has a responsibility to ensure that users adhere to forum rules. Nowhere is there to say that market mods have a responsibility to know scammers, For Admin mods have a responsibility to know cheats, GC mods have a responsibility to know every war.... geez half you people don't understand what responsibility a mod should have.

plus the fact that those people who claim Harch is a scammer have just done that, claimed it. I'm not saying they are lieing, but you all have in fact taken the word of several other users. Doesn't matter whether Harch admitted it at one point, but he's loving this attention and that would give him every reason to lie about it.

You have all taken this smeg out of proportion, and it is yet again another opportunity to sling mud at the forum staff.

users have a responsibility to care for the community that they are a part of. but yet that community continue to give scammers credit when they do good trades, yet it is only Mods that get this crap thrown at them.
Image ImageImageImage
RepliMagni
Forum Addict

Clarkey wrote:A market mod has a responsibility to know scammers? What a load of smeg! Does that mean i have a responsibility to know cheats?

Sorry Mr Pedantic, let me rephrase. He has a responsibility to READ the section he is modding. He should therefore know that Harch has been accused by several members of being a scammer for over a week. Accusations that have been supported by numerous people, and even admitted by the person in question. So yes, he should have known Harch was at the very least accused of mass-scamming and should have treaded more carefully.
Rudy Peña
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Wrath of Achilles

Clarkey wrote:
We don't have a problem with how people interpret what LD posted, it seems people have a problem because the person that posted it has a blue name. i mean come on do you even know whether they knew he had been reported as a scammer?

Subject: harchester scamming.

lone dragon wrote:
harchester wrote:is there no end....

A mod should really merge the topics into one super topic...

:-D :-D :-D

EDIT there will be/ should be 6 more topics :-D

Seems a reasonable request if you can pass me or any mod the links and we can try and combine them.
He also posted 4 times in that thread....so LD knew about it.

And also...Julette had to interede as a Mod before LD made a mistake........
So No. ;) :-$ lol jk
Last edited by The Doctor on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: masking
Spoiler
R0B3RT wrote: you are like my wife
you never loose :smt101
Spoiler
Field Marshall wrote:I don't think there is a single member ingame that could take on the lion at the moment. Not a single person...
I'm a brown nose. Sue me.
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

RepliMagni wrote:
Clarkey wrote:A market mod has a responsibility to know scammers? What a load of smeg! Does that mean i have a responsibility to know cheats?

Sorry Mr Pedantic, let me rephrase. He has a responsibility to READ the section he is modding. He should therefore know that Harch has been accused by several members of being a scammer for over a week. Accusations that have been supported by numerous people, and even admitted by the person in question. So yes, he should have known Harch was at the very least accused of mass-scamming and should have treaded more carefully.

LD does NOT have a responsibility to READ every single post in the Market section of the forum, that is WHY there a multiple Mods in THAT section of the forum so there is a good chance of always having some around.

I repeat what i said earlier, you have NO idea what responsibility Mods actually have!

Oh and also, every USER has a responsibility to KNOW who they are trading with.

Don't cry about Mods if you trade with someone you don't trust, and well over the internet who can you trust 100%?
Last edited by Clarkey on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImageImage
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Last edited by Clarkey on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImageImage
RepliMagni
Forum Addict

Clarkey wrote:LD does NOT have a responsibility to READ every single post in the Market section of the forum, that is WHY there a multiple Mods in THAT section of the forum so there is a good chance of always having some around.

I repeat what i said earlier, you have NO idea what responsibility Mods actually have!

Okay then, enlighten me.

I'm not saying read every "I need uu now" thread which disappears within a day. But read accusations of scamming? Threads which were receiving multiple pages' worth of replies? Yes, I'd have thought that warranted the attention of ALL market mods at some point during the course of their rounds over a week....

Clearly not.
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

RepliMagni wrote:
Clarkey wrote:LD does NOT have a responsibility to READ every single post in the Market section of the forum, that is WHY there a multiple Mods in THAT section of the forum so there is a good chance of always having some around.

Okay then, enlighten me.

I'm not saying read every "I need uu now" thread which disappears within a day. But read accusations of scamming? Threads which were receiving multiple pages' worth of replies? Yes, I'd have thought that warranted the attention of ALL market mods at some point during the course of their rounds over a week....

Clearly not.

If a user is going to trade they should read the blacklisted traders section.

This is nothing but another opportunity to attack Mods and their professionalism.

If a user trades with someone without reading the black listed traders section then that is their fault.

And may I remind you that scamming is not against game rules. No that is not me endorsing it. I don't give a smeg whether you think I'm endorsing it, but it is not against game rules. Everyone on this forum and ingame trades at their own risk. Would it make you happy if we put a disclaimer on the forum just like ingame? Unless there is one already then maybe we just add, you trade at your own risk and it is your responsibility to thoroughly check out the other trader.
Image ImageImageImage
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Ok. Calm down everyone. There is no reason to fight.

Going all aggressive on each other will not cause any agreement here.

We wont speculate on whether the user who got feedback in that thread scams or not. He might be one or he might not. It matters not.

Jason's policy on scamming might not particularly likable, but it is there all the same. It might be a despicable tactic, but it is a valid tactic nonetheless.

Whether or not someone posting in a thread has a color also does not matter. If evidence says someone is not trustworthy, then it might serve you best to talk it out with the one that posted to the contrary and see if you can convince him to withdraw his statement. It is not the job of the forum staff to police each other on what they post where, so long as the content follows all forum rules.

Oh, and everyone... remember to take those few minutes to calm down...

- Zeratul.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
RepliMagni
Forum Addict

Clarkey wrote:
RepliMagni wrote:

Okay then, enlighten me.

Clearly not.

This is nothing but another opportunity to attack Mods and their professionalism.

If a user trades with someone without reading the black listed traders section then that is their fault.

I agree with all that. I've posted it several times.

However, you've moved the conversation on to whether or not LD should have known Harch has been accused of scamming, and that I don't know what is expected of mods. So are market mods not expected to read something like those three threads (combined about 6+ pages) of accusations in the course of their duties? I'm genuinely curious....
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

RepliMagni wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
RepliMagni wrote:

Okay then, enlighten me.

Clearly not.

I agree with all that. I've posted it several times.

However, you've moved the conversation on to whether or not LD should have known Harch has been accused of scamming, and that I don't know what is expected of mods. So are market mods not expected to read something like those three threads (combined about 6+ pages) of accusations in the course of their duties? I'm genuinely curious....
I don't expect every individual Market Mod to read every individual post in the Market section.

Just like i don't expect every General Mod to read every post in the GC.

We don't have the time in our lives to read every post on this forum. Most Mods come here outside of education or work. We do our duties to keep this place in line with the rules. You cannot realistically expect Mods to read every single post.
Image ImageImageImage
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

@ Clarkey, hero to zero in one thread. You made Mezz very sad this day :(

I agree no mod cad be expected to read every thread, they be people not machines, and no mod can be expected to be all knowing, you are all as human as the rest of us.

BUT

Is this case
the mod knew about Harches recent scamming, he not only posted in the scamming thread before doing the trade & leaving the feedback but also said in PMs that Harch told him he was buying the naq to repay someone he scammed. As I previously said, GOOD intentions on LDs part but a lapse in judgment posting the feedback which has since been corrected.

Why is it so hard for you to believe that forum users can value and trust the words of a mod ? That a mods positive feedback on a trader can as taken as meaning that trader can be trusted ?

I really dont understand, do you have such low self esteem ? Such a low opinion of your own position and worth that you think forums users take no notice ?

For the 5th time I believe, this is resolved, the post was removed, this can be closed ](*,)

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254