National Holidays as Global Announcements

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

Re: National Holidays as Global Announcements

Legendary Apophis wrote:
Lithium wrote:i dont see why a specific holiday shall be globalized. it can just sit in with all other holidays in one section just for wishes.

aphophis i brought term racist and discrimination because u claimed that a holiday can be globalized just because there are more members that have it as a holiday. that results in discrimination

No it doesn't, that's following the law of offer and demand about information, the more people would be interested/concerned by a subject/info, the more it would be reasonable to highlight it by a global announcement.
Also it's not because there are "more concerned people" (examples of national holidays that one country is a little more represented than another), it's about the vast majority. As I said already, nobody said threads made about minority-concerned holidays shouldn't be made because they concern a minority. Mixing up the two different cases is something wrong.

You talk about "minorities" all the time in your posts, but each nationality here is a more or less important minority given none represent more than 50.01% of the community, however the group of "minorities" celebrating new year/Christmas is clearly the majority (95% or so people from this forum).

If we go towards the road of "discrimination" yelling, it's discriminating towards the majority to say a international holiday concerning majority, shouldn't be global for the precise reason it's not politically correct to make a global announcement about a holiday concerning the majority just because few people aren't concerned by it.

The biggest problem with your argument is that you are profiling. Just because a person lives in a Western country does not mean they celebrate a particular holiday. Stop making assumptions and coming up with these ridiculous percentages. ](*,)
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Eärendil wrote:we should not allow any sort of holiday threads at all.
Agreed. Enlightened view. If you want to celebrate your life/religion/whatever, do so in the 'privacy' (*cough*) of Facebook, MSN or your own home. Boards are neutral ground. God can fight his wars in Heaven.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

It would make these forums slightly more boring, without these threads (holidays). :?
It would mean, for example, that the annual SGW Christmas lottery wouldn't exist anymore. One of the few interesting events remaining of this forum aside from SGW awards and Ombudsman elections...
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Legendary Apophis wrote:It would make these forums tend towards boring side rather than interesting side, without these threads. :?
It would mean, for example, that the annual SGW Christmas lottery wouldn't exist. One of the few interesting events remaining of this forum aside from SGW awards and Ombudsman elections...
Elections are a Western thing. They should be banished from these boards after the default of unarmed democracy we have seen in this year. We should appoint the ombudsman instead.
Also. Replying directly to a moderator is against the rules. You disrespect me when you do, and will get a warning. Hey. Do not look at me like I made that up.

On the subject of national holidays; never should they be global. They are simply not interesting enough. Can you prove me wrong?
Psyko
The Irresistible

Legendary Apophis wrote:It would make these forums slightly more boring, without these threads (holidays). :?
It would mean, for example, that the annual SGW Christmas lottery wouldn't exist anymore. One of the few interesting events remaining of this forum aside from SGW awards and Ombudsman elections...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Christmas Lottery a Lottery that just happens to fall around Christmas. There is no holiday affiliation besides that, so far as I know. That's like saying the June Lottery. It's a lottery, not a holiday. No one discussed getting rid of such an event. #-o
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Problem with National Holidays as Global Announcement is that it might be flooding with holidays threads and also brought up example about other "importantly represented" nations to post about their holidays and this could turn into an argument about this being/not being stickied etc...

[spoiler]Out Of Character:
Elections being only a Western thing, this isn't true. :smt104 I could provide examples countering it from Africa, Asia and South America. For example, the country known as the largest democracy in the world happens to be India. Not really a "Western" nation.[/spoiler]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Christmas Lottery a Lottery that just happens to fall around Christmas. There is no holiday affiliation besides that, so far as I know. That's like saying the June Lottery. It's a lottery, not a holiday. No one discussed getting rid of such an event.

Oh you know how it is, if no holidays thread was to be posted, some would start to seek every clear reference about a holiday and start showing the link just because they would be -logically- annoyed by the fact holidays threads shouldn't be posted. I just anticipated. ;)
Last edited by Legendary Apophis on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
Psyko
The Irresistible

Legendary Apophis wrote:Problem with National Holidays as Global Announcement is that it might be flooding with holidays threads and also brought up example about other "importantly represented" nations to post about their holidays and this could turn into an argument about this being/not being stickied etc...

Elections being only a Western thing, this isn't true. :smt104 I could provide examples countering it from Africa, Asia and South America[/spoiler]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Christmas Lottery a Lottery that just happens to fall around Christmas. There is no holiday affiliation besides that, so far as I know. That's like saying the June Lottery. It's a lottery, not a holiday. No one discussed getting rid of such an event.

Oh you know how it is, if no holidays thread was to be posted, some would start to seek every clear reference about a holiday and start showing the link just because they would be -logically- annoyed by the fact holidays threads shouldn't be posted.

Actually, it is illogical for them to be upset. The reason this is illogical is no one has complained about it before. Don't get them started now. You're finding problems where none exist.

Just because a holiday thread will not be made a Global Announcement does not mean the thread will not exist. There is no banning of any/all holiday threads. This is a discussion about threads being set as a Global. I think you're taking this too far simply for the sake of argument. I know the debate section is slow at the moment, but really...
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Psyko wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:Problem with National Holidays as Global Announcement is that it might be flooding with holidays threads and also brought up example about other "importantly represented" nations to post about their holidays and this could turn into an argument about this being/not being stickied etc...

Elections being only a Western thing, this isn't true. :smt104 I could provide examples countering it from Africa, Asia and South America[/spoiler]

Oh you know how it is, if no holidays thread was to be posted, some would start to seek every clear reference about a holiday and start showing the link just because they would be -logically- annoyed by the fact holidays threads shouldn't be posted.

Actually, it is illogical for them to be upset. The reason this is illogical is no one has complained about it before. Don't get them started now. You're finding problems where none exist.

Just because a holiday thread will not be made a Global Announcement does not mean the thread will not exist. There is no banning of any/all holiday threads. This is a discussion about threads being set as a Global. I think you're taking this too far simply for the sake of argument. I know the debate section is slow at the moment, but really...

I didn't say there was a banning of holiday threads or should be, I just saw posts that confused me whether it was about global announcing or the fact of threads existence, the comments regarding upset and Christmas lottery were only within the existence-of-thread parts which confused me as not being about global announcement but thread existence.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Psyko
The Irresistible

Legendary Apophis wrote:
Psyko wrote:

I didn't say there was a banning of holiday threads or should be, I just saw posts that confused me whether it was about global announcing or the fact of threads existence, the comments regarding upset and Christmas lottery was only within the existence-of-thread parts which confused me as not being about global announcement but thread existence.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Not a problem. :-)
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

There wont be a flood of such announcements globally. Why? How?

All global announcements have to go through us oranges for approval. (not peaches, nor apples. Oranges.)

the purely religious holidays are unlikely to get approval, as they might cause unwanted tension. However, celebrations for things like winter solstice are far more likely than say, Hanukkah. Why? It is a measurable scientific/astronomical phenomenon and entirely in the spirit of the Altera. (yes, that was an example)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

With that post, the issue is resolved. If you do not agree, PM me and I will explain. No further discussion is necessary. Topic locked.

~Empy

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”