On a lighter note...Jurassic park, yay or nay?

[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

On a lighter note...Jurassic park, yay or nay?

I read an article that scientists have found the skeletal remains of a woolly mammoth in excellent condition in Siberia. they say the remains are in such good condition that they will able to clone the animal back in to existence in about 5 years.

Is this a good idea, are you in favour of bringing back long dead species, even dinosaurs?

Personally, i'm on the fence with this one since we are incapable of staying clear of the species that are in current existence without bringing so many of the them to the point of extinction, or simply abusing the hell out of them.

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Re: On a lighter note...Jurassic park, yay or nay?

Isn't it old news about the Mammoth? I mean I remember to have seen a documentary about it years ago, but didn't really hear back about what they concluded after research.

I'm tempted to say yes, but problem is clear when you see the trilogy of movies, human cannot handle dinosaurs, especially if you create the preds (T-Rex, Spinosaurus, Raptors, Deinonychus...), not to mention worse outcomes with the ocean monsters (Kronosaurus, Megalodon, Plesiosaurus, prehistoric mega crocodiles...) for obvious reasons.
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

I think i saw that documentary as well, didn't they ask at the end if we had the moral right to clone extinct species IF suitable DNA was found? :smt017

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Quina Quen
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Diamond Dust

They said this about the mammoth years ago, and it never appeared to have happened. My main query is how do they suppose 'growing' a mammoth without a mammoth to give birth to it. If that is at all possible with God only knows what science exists out there that we do not know about - what would stop humans from being produced in this way?
The ascended entity formerly known as Diamond Dust
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

General Riviera wrote:They said this about the mammoth years ago, and it never appeared to have happened. My main query is how do they suppose 'growing' a mammoth without a mammoth to give birth to it. If that is at all possible with God only knows what science exists out there that we do not know about - what would stop humans from being produced in this way?

From a quick google search:

Goto hopes that by using good DNA from an ice-age mammoth he will be able to produce a hybrid of a mammoth and an elephant. A female elephant can be impregnated that the hybrid calf itself can later be impregnated with mammoth DNA, thus working back to full mammoth. It's a sort of reverse evolution.
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

I think I've been on the internet for too long a time, the word troll is on the tip of my tongue.
Bias Admin colour
Quina Quen
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Diamond Dust

RepliMagni wrote:
Goto hopes that by using good DNA from an ice-age mammoth he will be able to produce a hybrid of a mammoth and an elephant. A female elephant can be impregnated that the hybrid calf itself can later be impregnated with mammoth DNA, thus working back to full mammoth. It's a sort of reverse evolution.

Thanks for that Magni. I can see how this could work.
The ascended entity formerly known as Diamond Dust
RepliMagni
Forum Addict

General Riviera wrote:
RepliMagni wrote:

Thanks for that Magni. I can see how this could work.

Then explain it to me :P After watching Species I'm not convinced hybrids are a good idea.... 8-[
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Legendary Apophis wrote:Isn't it old news about the Mammoth? I mean I remember to have seen a documentary about it years ago, but didn't really hear back about what they concluded after research.

I'm tempted to say yes, but problem is clear when you see the trilogy of movies, human cannot handle dinosaurs, especially if you create the preds (T-Rex, Spinosaurus, Raptors, Deinonychus...), not to mention worse outcomes with the ocean monsters (Kronosaurus, Megalodon, Plesiosaurus, prehistoric mega crocodiles...) for obvious reasons.
Which obvious reasons? They would eat boats? :lol:
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Juliette wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:Isn't it old news about the Mammoth? I mean I remember to have seen a documentary about it years ago, but didn't really hear back about what they concluded after research.

Haven't you seen the movies like Megalodon or Shark Attack 3: Megalodon? :-D
Well, eating boats maybe but more seriously they would inbalance the current pyramid of predator/predatored in oceans, and they couldn't be contained (same goes for flying like Pterodactyl and Pteranodon etc...) in in island. Oceans aren't separated and if there was to be a couple, they would spread and would reign in waters in a matter of two generations.
There's enough with these stupid human selective demand of food, let's say sharks' example, for a single part of their body, same goes for rhinoceros and their horn (for other reasons but you see my point, different than most cases as there you kill these animals for a single part of their body). If a mega predator was to rule oceans they would probably, considering presence of human, inbalance even more the pyramid of ocean species.
Last edited by Legendary Apophis on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
RepliMagni
Forum Addict

Juliette wrote:

I can imagine you as the crazy old lady in Lake Placid feeding cows to her pet prehistoric crocodile ;)
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

RepliMagni wrote:
Juliette wrote:

I can imagine you as the crazy old lady in Lake Placid feeding cows to her pet prehistoric crocodile ;)

:lol: I was thinking about that movie too. Ah, Lake Placid and its monster crocodile...
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

RepliMagni wrote:
Juliette wrote:

Oi, don't you dare mess with my sweet Graghnok, young fellow.
I could see that work, actually.

Nothing can upset the balance of feeding more than humans already do, Jimmy Carter. So no, I disagree. I propose we return the supersized beasts back to Earth. There is no malevolent entity that will guide them to attack humans.
(*waves hand* *turns to camera* That they know of. Muahahaha.)
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
ID: 81691

We cant even protect the endangered species we currently have so to create or clone a species just for our entertainment is IMO immoral.

Also there are a few more practical issues

1) How many Mammouths would you have to create/clone to have a big enough gene pool for them to breed and survive ? Without diversity in the gene pool you get inbreeding, mutation, still births and congenital disorders.

2) Where would they live ? Zoos ? Are any wild environments today capable of supporting them in sufficient number for them to remain viable.

3) Who would pay for the creation/recreation of a species ? I sure as hell dont want it coming out of my taxes.

Same would apply to dino's, and even more so for the larger carnivores, Lions & Tigers are already killed for feeding on human livestock and by poachers.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

MEZZANINE wrote:1) How many Mammouths would you have to create/clone to have a big enough gene pool for them to breed and survive ? Without diversity in the gene pool you get inbreeding, mutation, still births and congenital disorders.
I would like to comment on that. More Mammoths does not mean a bigger/more diverse gene pool. Since we are working with only one viable 'ancestor', the 'gene pool' will be restricted to 'one mammoth'. Unless you would start mixing them up with elephants and such. Now that would be interesting.

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”