People pretending to be 'something else'

Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

People pretending to be 'something else'

This place has faced several people who happened to have faked their identity into something they weren't (pretending to be women while being men -I think the opposite also happened-, we even had a MI6 "agent" if I'm not mistaken, people who had resurrection from being dead, and who knows what others crazy identities thrown out there). However, as much as I can understand people pretending to be some secret agent, or anything that breaks with the common average job, I don't understand why people pretend to be of another gender. Reason brought in by some people who tried to guess about the why, was that sometimes they might collect resources given by people, but it's not really that common anymore. So in your opinion, why were they, and are there still nowadays, people who pretend to be of another sex than they are? (while we are on the subject, if you are one of these, tell us why you did/do that)

I'm not going to give out names of past and present people who are playing this "game" of 'gender-roleplay' I know of/suspect about, I'm just trying to find out why they do it, as it's a mystery why would one do it on mid-to-long term. (short term for fun I can understand, but mid-to-long, not really)
Quina Quen
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Diamond Dust

Re: People pretending to be 'something else'

Gives them that extra bit of attention their attention-whoring personality requires I guess. It is so easy to do on line.
The ascended entity formerly known as Diamond Dust
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Multi-ing in the game of life?
Wonder if people get banned for that.
:-k
Quina Quen
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Diamond Dust

Role-playing is acceptable as long as there is at least some indication that it is role play and the person is not trying to deceive others by presenting a true/real person. I appreciate people being private with their identity but to find out that you have been lied to persistently is a kick in the ribs.
The ascended entity formerly known as Diamond Dust
Drought
Forum Expert
ID: 0

I never thought of 'role-playing' as suposedly being gender restricted.

Also, being a different gender gives a different form of attention, this is what might actually appeal to the person playing it, perhaps fullfilling some missing desires.

Other then that, people use it to scam/infiltrate others.

Been scammed myself in the past like this ( for freebie handouts), and infiltrated alliances/families in other games.
a very bad hairdo
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

General Riviera wrote:Role-playing is acceptable as long as there is at least some indication that it is role play and the person is not trying to deceive others by presenting a true/real person. I appreciate people being private with their identity but to find out that you have been lied to persistently is a kick in the ribs.

Indeed, but it's better when the person reveals themselves openly to clear things up, than the revealing happening when being caught for some reason (the latter happened more often than the first though). Because that means the person felt it was time to be honest and tell people about their roleplay. When the first case happens, the bad feelings remain less and with time it turns into something being listed into the "funny events" of this game. Well, personally I don't have the same impression about those who do the first and those who do the second: better opinion of the first, ofc.
Why this thread now? The more time passed, the more different cases happened, and that we carry now in an era of decrease within membership, less likely possible to start an analysis thread about it later, as less people would remember about past and present.
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

some for the attention,
some just to see how far a lie can go
some as a joke, for a laugh

some the bigger the lie the more of a kick they get out of fooling others they see as less intelligent for falling for it.. the more powerful the persons or the more the number of people they fool are the more empowered they themselves feel.

sad the lengths some ppl will go to ingame as in real life

some I think get so caught up in their own lies the holes they dig for themselves can be quiet deep they find no way out other than to kill themselves off
Last edited by ƒëmmë on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
Drought
Forum Expert

ربهالنوع wrote:Multi-ing in the game of life?

It's called fraude or identity theft :-D
a very bad hairdo
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

fem fatale wrote:some for the attention,
some just to see how far a lie can go
some as a joke, for a laugh

some the bigger the lie the more of a kick they get out of fooling others they see as less intelligent for falling for it.. the more powerful the persons or the more the number of people they fool are the more empowered they themselves feel.

sad the lengths some ppl will go to ingame as in real life

some I think get so caught up in their own lies the holes they dig for themselves can be quiet deep they find no way out other than to kill themselves off

Its ok, we forgive you.

May I refer to "Rules of the Internet" Rules #28, #29, #30 and possibly #31 just because.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Duck Dodgers wrote:
ربهالنوع wrote:Multi-ing in the game of life?
It's called fraude or identity theft :-D
Only if the person you are roleplaying is real, and your roleplaying in the real world, I would imagine? :P
For instance, you dressing up as Mark Rutte and acting like you are him in public, using his creditcard and such. Silly duck. ;)

@McJim: Rule 24.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

ربهالنوع wrote:@McJim: Rule 24.

That thing gets nullified from time to time though, example being, women players who appeared on the past SGW meetings.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

It can also be done because such a role fits better for a certain character/role to-be-played, or out curiosity if it can be pulled of with reasonable plausibility while keeping the role realistic.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
RoKeT
Forum Zombie
Race: The King Jaffa

Why not?

online you can be anyone, anything you want, why not dream as big as you can?
Ex Mod
Looking for an Account?
Spoiler
I can find you one...
21 Accounts sold to Date
Spoiler
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

Meh.. it's all about learning how to play roles. Son, daughter, cousin, brother, parent..pretending to think or be something.. adapting.

I suppose it's not really about whether you do do it, as we all do.. it's more about intention.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
~wolverine~
Forum Addict

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”