Reduce the value of APP, and remove the time constraint.

Suggest any improvements
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Re: Reduce the value of APP, and remove the time constraint.

Sol wrote:Thought of another possible option;

We can keep the current conversion rate and remove the time constraint, but put in an automatic feed that converts x APP to y LF every turn change, the feed can be stopped or started by the user and is scaled to the basic size of an account.

So a user who has just started may get only say 100,000 LF per day (which is pretty damn large), and an accomplished user may get 1 trill per day (basically 3.5 months for 100 trill), until all of their APP is used up, or they stop the feed (just in case they want to convert turns).

The auto feed means people won't have to worry about when to convert next, it also allows direct moderation and scale of how much people get, i.e new accounts can't be jacked up extremely fast through ascensions and people get a continuous stream without having to worry about waiting 5 months, although it does mean people will think twice about ascending hugely, which is good, since that is exactly what I was after :P.

The other alternative is to start the APP to LF conversion fast and then bring it slower, so if you have 120 trill LF to possibly convert to, it may start at say 10 trill per day, then goes lower the next day and so on. Think of it as like how the CER works....but different. The fall will be slower to start with.
This will be of course scaled like above.

If you remove the time constraint and give people the ability to stop that feed, people will ascend even larger. All you would have to do is ascend with redonculous AP and turn off the feed. Repeat this though multiple ascensions and then convert an unholy amount of AP to LF. Maybe I am just not understanding this right?

Edit: If you are talking about this feed replacing the conversion option, then yes. I can see this working. I also like the alternative answer better. This is so new players can still possibly catch up. If you make it based on size, Then those who have been playing longer will always be ahead of you in LF generation no matter how hard you try. The alternative makes it so that if you work hard you can catch up to those who are not.
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

**Filtered** wrote:Edit: If you are talking about this feed replacing the conversion option, then yes. I can see this working. I also like the alternative answer better. This is so new players can still possibly catch up.

This would be a replacement, yes.
New players can catch up already, they have been since, well, forever. The change in APP was only recent compared to the lifetime of ascended. If I killed off APP right now, minus the disappointments from the users, they could still easily catch up.
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Sol wrote:
**Filtered** wrote:Edit: If you are talking about this feed replacing the conversion option, then yes. I can see this working. I also like the alternative answer better. This is so new players can still possibly catch up.

New players can catch up already, they have been since, well, forever. The change in APP was only recent compared to the lifetime of ascended. If I killed off APP right now, minus the disappointments from the users, they could still easily catch up.

I do kind of see your point here. I am mildly active in ascended and my stats are already starting to look decent. Well base stats at least. I am only a prophet so not a huge multiplier anywhere, but hey I got almost 500k Exploration fleets.

Edit: Still like alternative option number 2 though. More AP = higher per day until you slash it away.
Sol
Forum Addict

**Filtered** wrote:
Sol wrote:

I do kind of see your point here. I am mildly active in ascended and my stats are already starting to look decent. Well base stats at least. I am only a prophet so not a huge multiplier anywhere, but hey I got almost 500k Exploration fleets.

Edit: Still like alternative option number 2 though. More AP = higher per day until you slash it away.

I feel like the alternative would be better as well... shouldn't be too hard and I'll cut it off at a minimum so it doesn't get infinitesimally small.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Bah, humbug.
It works fine the way it is. No point in fixing something that is not broken.. [-X
Sol
Forum Addict

Juliette wrote:Bah, humbug.
It works fine the way it is. No point in fixing something that is not broken.. [-X

Who said anything about fixing something broken?
You can always make something better :P.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Achernar
Forum Grunt
Race: twagras
ID: 1989627
Alternate name(s): Achernar
EZE
ertyuio

For what its worth, I support the idea of APP flow versus conversion.

lol @ APP menses
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Sol wrote:

You could.. just not this bit. This, the way it is, allows total freedom in how you build you account in Main for ascensions.. automating it because some dummies leap before they look is not amusing. Neither is capping it for the sake of people who speed ascended without regard for their ascended account and now feel jealous at the opportunity. (If they want an awesome ascended, play it. You made your bed, and all that.) :P

I hate flow. You can quote me on that. *glare*
Sol
Forum Addict

Juliette wrote:
Sol wrote:

You could.. just not this bit. This, the way it is, allows total freedom in how you build you account in Main for ascensions.. automating it because some dummies leap before they look is not amusing. Neither is capping it for the sake of people who speed ascended without regard for their ascended account and now feel jealous at the opportunity. (If they want an awesome ascended, play it. You made your bed, and all that.) :P

I hate flow. You can quote me on that. *glare*

Total freedom would still be there, and this isn't really about the complainers, I think this would be beneficial to maintaining the time taken to move up the 'food chain' while still enforcing activity.
Continuous is better than discrete anyway :P.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Sol
Forum Addict

If no one can produce any reasoning to not have it then I'll go make a plan...
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Sol wrote:If no one can produce any reasoning to not have it then I'll go make a plan...
Your statement that 'continuous' is better than 'discrete' is .. unnatural. I quite disagree with it.

The universe is discrete, rather than continuous. Ergo, continuous is unnatural and discrete is awesome.
[spoiler]Earlier, I proposed that all logically-derived sequences less complex than the universe could be said to be real. However, given that we still don’t know how complex our own universe actually is, the total set of things that are ‘real’ is still ambiguous.

You can go one of three ways here:

1: You can take the same line that Max Tegmark took in his Mathematical Universe Hypothesis, and propose that all mathematics is real. (Roger Penrose likes this idea too.)

2: You can take the line that Jurgen Schmidhuber does, and say that only computable mathematics is real. In other words, only those theories of nature that can be represented as computer programs need be considered. (Tegmark appears to have also considered this option.)

3: You can be even more restrictive, and say that we don’t even have proof that all computable systems exist. In this case, we’re essentially saying that the universe can be represented as a really big finite state machine.

Despite the really excellent reasoning done by the chaps promoting options 1 and 2, I’m going to propose that we go with option 3.

To show why, let’s first put all the rules for making logical sequences in order, starting with the simplest, using a definition like this one. Computer scientists in the audience may complain at this point, because ordering this way requires that we pick an arbitrary machine definition as our measuring stick to define ‘simple’. However, we’re not going to be fussy. We’re just going to pick one. Then, we’re going to list out the total set of rules that our language can make and consider the output they produce.

Regardless of what language for making rules we use, we’re going to see certain things happen. For starters, there are going to be output patterns that show up more than once because some rules are going to be equivalent to each other. And some patterns will show up more often than others, because some of the rules that make them are going to contain redundant steps. Thus, as we build out our series of machines, certain kinds of output are going to dominate. And as the series gets larger, they’re going to dominate a lot.

In fact, the simpler the output is, the more frequently you’ll end up with a rule that produces it. Indeed, if you explore the set of simple algorithms from the ground up in the way that Stephen Wolfram and his buddies have done, this is exactly what you see.

Now consider that our universe appears somewhere in this list. The most likely rule for making output that looks like the universe is going to be the simplest one, by far, because its output will be duplicated so many times that it overwhelms all the other possibilities. Furthermore, given that we don’t have proof that things more complex than the universe even exist, the only rule for the universe that we need to bother considering is the simplest one that will do the job properly.

This result is helpful, because it tells us that the scientific habit of preferring minimally complex solutions over more ornate ones exists for a good reason. Of all the physical models that fit the output to a given experiment, the one that’s simplest really is more likely to be true, so long as it doesn’t conflict with other results. (And if it does conflict with other results, it’s wrong!)

This is all nice and useful, though so far we haven’t said anything about continuous models versus discrete ones. But consider this:

Any variable that varies smoothly cannot be represented in a countable number of discrete bits, whereas a single continuous number can code for any number of discrete values at the same time.

In other words, continuous systems aren’t just more complex than discrete ones. By every measure that includes both systems that people have been able to come up with, continuous systems are infinitely more complex. (If anyone has reason to believe to the contrary, I’d love to hear about it!)

This is not to say that you can’t produce continuous functions that produce simple output. However, these functions are isolated instances in a sea of more complex possibilities. And furthermore, all the continuous models that produce this kind of result turn out to equate in complexity to systems that aren’t continuous. In other words, you can always rewrite the functions they generate in terms of machines that don’t need smooth numbers. Thus, for any reasonable definition of simple that covers both cases, discrete models will always precede the continuous ones.

I would go so far as to propose that there is no reasonable way to say that continuous systems are simpler than discrete ones. And what this means is that if there’s even the slightest reason to believe that we can represent physical reality without smooth numbers, we should pursue it.

The burden of proof, therefore, properly lies with the continuum enthusiasts. In order for their models to be plausible, they need to prove that a discrete approximation cannot suffice. However, science doesn’t work that way. Unless people have decent analytical tools that don’t rely on calculus, discrete models simply aren’t going to be explored. This means that anyone hoping to actually get the Theory Of Everything right has about three hundred years of mathematical catching up to do in order to provide a framework that can compete with current expectations. Some actual experimental evidence for quantized spacetime would help too, though maybe we won’t have to wait too long.

Now, so far I haven’t said anything about the difference between Option 2 (computable reality), and Option 3 (even stupider reality), but I think that will have to wait for another post. In the mean time, happy reasoning, and may the force of Occam’s Razor be with you.[spoiler2=]I am a thief; credit goes here: http://builtuniverse.wordpress.com/2012 ... tinuous-2/[/spoiler2][/spoiler]

As a logical consequence of the above.. your 'continuous' idea stinks, and I oppose it on grounds that it is unnatural and not congruent with the universal reality. Now that, my friend, is truly ascended reasoning!
Sol
Forum Addict

Juliette wrote:
Sol wrote:If no one can produce any reasoning to not have it then I'll go make a plan...
Your statement that 'continuous' is better than 'discrete' is .. unnatural. I quite disagree with it.

The universe is discrete, rather than continuous. Ergo, continuous is unnatural and discrete is awesome.
As a logical consequence of the above.. your 'continuous' idea stinks, and I oppose it on grounds that it is unnatural and not congruent with the universal reality. Now that, my friend, is truly ascended reasoning!

lol, good stuff, but even though it's still a one sided argument, continuity as by far more beautiful even if it is synthetic and alien to our universe. A preferred option in many situations, and easier to analyze, form and alter.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Sol wrote:
Juliette wrote:

lol, good stuff, but even though it's still a one sided argument, continuity as by far more beautiful even if it is synthetic and alien to our universe. A preferred option in many situations, and easier to analyze, form and alter.
I still do not like it, despite you puffing it up like a pink balloon. I have said my piece, though. *grin*
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Juliette wrote:

[spoiler]Earlier, I proposed that all logically-derived sequences less complex than the universe could be said to be real. However, given that we still don’t know how complex our own universe actually is, the total set of things that are ‘real’ is still ambiguous.

1: You can take the same line that Max Tegmark took in his Mathematical Universe Hypothesis, and propose that all mathematics is real. (Roger Penrose likes this idea too.)

2: You can take the line that Jurgen Schmidhuber does, and say that only computable mathematics is real. In other words, only those theories of nature that can be represented as computer programs need be considered. (Tegmark appears to have also considered this option.)

3: You can be even more restrictive, and say that we don’t even have proof that all computable systems exist. In this case, we’re essentially saying that the universe can be represented as a really big finite state machine.

Despite the really excellent reasoning done by the chaps promoting options 1 and 2, I’m going to propose that we go with option 3.

To show why, let’s first put all the rules for making logical sequences in order, starting with the simplest, using a definition like this one. Computer scientists in the audience may complain at this point, because ordering this way requires that we pick an arbitrary machine definition as our measuring stick to define ‘simple’. However, we’re not going to be fussy. We’re just going to pick one. Then, we’re going to list out the total set of rules that our language can make and consider the output they produce.

Regardless of what language for making rules we use, we’re going to see certain things happen. For starters, there are going to be output patterns that show up more than once because some rules are going to be equivalent to each other. And some patterns will show up more often than others, because some of the rules that make them are going to contain redundant steps. Thus, as we build out our series of machines, certain kinds of output are going to dominate. And as the series gets larger, they’re going to dominate a lot.

In fact, the simpler the output is, the more frequently you’ll end up with a rule that produces it. Indeed, if you explore the set of simple algorithms from the ground up in the way that Stephen Wolfram and his buddies have done, this is exactly what you see.

Now consider that our universe appears somewhere in this list. The most likely rule for making output that looks like the universe is going to be the simplest one, by far, because its output will be duplicated so many times that it overwhelms all the other possibilities. Furthermore, given that we don’t have proof that things more complex than the universe even exist, the only rule for the universe that we need to bother considering is the simplest one that will do the job properly.

This result is helpful, because it tells us that the scientific habit of preferring minimally complex solutions over more ornate ones exists for a good reason. Of all the physical models that fit the output to a given experiment, the one that’s simplest really is more likely to be true, so long as it doesn’t conflict with other results. (And if it does conflict with other results, it’s wrong!)

This is all nice and useful, though so far we haven’t said anything about continuous models versus discrete ones. But consider this:

Any variable that varies smoothly cannot be represented in a countable number of discrete bits, whereas a single continuous number can code for any number of discrete values at the same time.

In other words, continuous systems aren’t just more complex than discrete ones. By every measure that includes both systems that people have been able to come up with, continuous systems are infinitely more complex. (If anyone has reason to believe to the contrary, I’d love to hear about it!)

This is not to say that you can’t produce continuous functions that produce simple output. However, these functions are isolated instances in a sea of more complex possibilities. And furthermore, all the continuous models that produce this kind of result turn out to equate in complexity to systems that aren’t continuous. In other words, you can always rewrite the functions they generate in terms of machines that don’t need smooth numbers. Thus, for any reasonable definition of simple that covers both cases, discrete models will always precede the continuous ones.

I would go so far as to propose that there is no reasonable way to say that continuous systems are simpler than discrete ones. And what this means is that if there’s even the slightest reason to believe that we can represent physical reality without smooth numbers, we should pursue it.

The burden of proof, therefore, properly lies with the continuum enthusiasts. In order for their models to be plausible, they need to prove that a discrete approximation cannot suffice. However, science doesn’t work that way. Unless people have decent analytical tools that don’t rely on calculus, discrete models simply aren’t going to be explored. This means that anyone hoping to actually get the Theory Of Everything right has about three hundred years of mathematical catching up to do in order to provide a framework that can compete with current expectations. Some actual experimental evidence for quantized spacetime would help too, though maybe we won’t have to wait too long.

Now, so far I haven’t said anything about the difference between Option 2 (computable reality), and Option 3 (even stupider reality), but I think that will have to wait for another post. In the mean time, happy reasoning, and may the force of Occam’s Razor be with you.[spoiler2=]I am a thief; credit goes here: http://builtuniverse.wordpress.com/2012 ... tinuous-2/[/spoiler2][/spoiler]

TL;DR
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

**Filtered** wrote:
Juliette wrote:

TL;DR
Hence the spoiler, lazy Twitterfiend! [-X Reading is not 'dirty' or 'uncool' or just for eggheads.
[spoiler]:smt043 Just messing with you. :P[/spoiler]

Return to “Suggestions”