Bodybuilding - Weight Gainers and other suppliments

A place general forum talk, not related to ingame discussions.
Kjarkur
Spark of the Ori
Alliance: DDE - Leader
Race: System Lord
ID: 1909457
Alternate name(s): Kjarkur, JL, KJ

Bodybuilding - Weight Gainers and other suppliments

I've been reading up on bodybuilding.com on weight gainers etc.

I've been using hard gainers since last summer and I'm getting fantastic results. I'm one of those annoying people with super fast metabolism so gaining muscle is anything but easy.

I never suspected dietary suppliments to be healthy but I'm wondering, how unhealthy are they?

I'm currently taking a weight gainer called Magnum 8000 2-3 times a day in between meals. Straight after my workout I take Muscle KickStart Protein (casein and whey protein etc).

Other suppliments I take is ZMA, HGH Booster, L-Glutamine, Omega3-6-9, creatine, and as pre-workout I take S.A.W (super anabolic workout)

According to a lot of people, Weight gainers are unhealthy due to cheap carbs, malto (maltodextrin) and sugar. High amounts of these three cause an insulin spike. Apparently it can result in diabetes 2... according to some.
Are there any weight gainers out there with different ingridients ?

Also is this a necessary risk for us ectomorphs ? (Super fast metabolism) Obviously when pumping your muscles your body requires some sort of a insulin spike after workout...

Anyone here with some experience in these matters, or have read up on this issue ?
There are no men like me. There's only me.
General & Battle Moderator
- > SGW Hall of Fame
- > SGW's Hero of the Year
- > SGW's Villain of the year 2010->
- > SGW's Most Missed Player of the year 2011->
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Bodybuilding - Weight Gainers and other suppliments

~wolverine~ knows quite a bit about this sort of thing. :)

In my limited experience, a high metabolism reduces most 'spikey' effects. For instance, when I take a painkiller or am sedated, the effective time is cut in 5. Always amusing to see the looks on doctors' faces when they find out. If it works for painkillers, I would imagine it works for insulin etcetera as well? It sure as hell works for alcohol (*has to keep drinking in order to stay drunk*). :P
But I am not an expert by far, so do wait for someone who is.
Kjarkur
Spark of the Ori

Juliette wrote:~wolverine~ knows quite a bit about this sort of thing. :)

In my limited experience, a high metabolism reduces most 'spikey' effects. For instance, when I take a painkiller or am sedated, the effective time is cut in 5. Always amusing to see the looks on doctors' faces when they find out. If it works for painkillers, I would imagine it works for insulin etcetera as well? It sure as hell works for alcohol (*has to keep drinking in order to stay drunk*). :P
But I am not an expert by far, so do wait for someone who is.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Also I'm taking all these carbs with a lot of proteins, so the insulin spike shouldn't be big. But I'm not an expert either.

I've been reading up on arguments from some of the company's that produce weight gainers, according to them there is no risk of diabetes due to high amounts of malto due to it being a complex carb and all the proteins that go with it.
But they'd say anything to sell me more gainers lol

There is of course a possibility to make my own gainers.

I've tried like 5-6 type's of gainers now and whenever there is mostly just sugar in it I can see it on my skin in a few days. So far on Magnum 8000 ( http://www.trec-nutrition.co.uk/magnum-8000-1-6kg.html ) I don't see anything yet at least.

I want to bulk up, but if there's a high risk of diabetes I'll take the slower route.
- > SGW Hall of Fame
~LordRse~
Forum Addict
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Prophet
ID: 79075
Alternate name(s): "Bringer of Rain"

:-D I like the new KJ!
Spoiler
Past sigs

Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

KJ, one simple thing you missed out there, what are you trying to achieve? Muscle build up or trying to become lean. Next question is how much exercise are you doing? I presume enough if you are taking pre-workout.

Tell me what you are trying to achieve and I'll ask my buddy what he reckons. He's a PT with a good reputation. I did Physical Education with him in College and understands anatomy and physiology.

In my eyes, the best results I've seen on people is those who don't go over the top. Those who train at least a hard hour a day with minimal rest and eat good fresh healthy lean meat with sensible supplements. The idea of ingesting sugar and complex carbs to gain weight fast cannot be good for the body. Remember at the end of the day all of this is complex food substances which are hard to break down and unnatural for the body. Moderation is the key :-D
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?

I think this is sig worthy in fact.
:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Kjarkur
Spark of the Ori

I'm trying to get big. I want to gain 15-25 more KG's.

But I prefer clean bulk, I don't want any fat - I have a sixpack but it doesn't show well on the days I take the gainer. But when I skip it for two days it shows very well.

So basically what I'm trying to achieve is a clean bulk, but it can't be completely clean cause obviously I need A LOT of calories and proteins to gain any weight. My metabolism burns through everything I throw it at light speed.

and Rse... thanks :smt060

I don't really want to be over the top huge, but a bit buffed and ripped.

I have on my own already gained 20KG but I need another 15-25 to be too sexy for mah shirt.
(Already had to throw away some shirts as I don't fit them anymore...SCORE!)
- > SGW Hall of Fame
Heisenberg
Forum Expert
Alliance: TDD
ID: 84840
Alternate name(s): The Architect

Kjarkur wrote:I've been reading up on bodybuilding.com on weight gainers etc.

I've been using hard gainers since last summer and I'm getting fantastic results. I'm one of those annoying people with super fast metabolism so gaining muscle is anything but easy.

I never suspected dietary suppliments to be healthy but I'm wondering, how unhealthy are they?

I'm currently taking a weight gainer called Magnum 8000 2-3 times a day in between meals. Straight after my workout I take Muscle KickStart Protein (casein and whey protein etc).

Other suppliments I take is ZMA, HGH Booster, L-Glutamine, Omega3-6-9, creatine, and as pre-workout I take S.A.W (super anabolic workout)

According to a lot of people, Weight gainers are unhealthy due to cheap carbs, malto (maltodextrin) and sugar. High amounts of these three cause an insulin spike. Apparently it can result in diabetes 2... according to some.
Are there any weight gainers out there with different ingridients ?

Also is this a necessary risk for us ectomorphs ? (Super fast metabolism) Obviously when pumping your muscles your body requires some sort of a insulin spike after workout...

Anyone here with some experience in these matters, or have read up on this issue ?

Do they work very well, KJ?

I've currently just started going to the gym, and weight around 60KG. Always been skinny but wanting to builk a little. Not anything huge, just a little bigger and more toned.
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Kjarkur wrote:I'm trying to get big. I want to gain 15-25 more KG's.

But I prefer clean bulk, I don't want any fat - I have a sixpack but it doesn't show well on the days I take the gainer. But when I skip it for two days it shows very well.

So basically what I'm trying to achieve is a clean bulk, but it can't be completely clean cause obviously I need A LOT of calories and proteins to gain any weight. My metabolism burns through everything I throw it at light speed.

and Rse... thanks :smt060

I don't really want to be over the top huge, but a bit buffed and ripped.

I have on my own already gained 20KG but I need another 15-25 to be too sexy for mah shirt.
(Already had to throw away some shirts as I don't fit them anymore...SCORE!)

I'll have a chat with meh man tomorrow (his stag weekend ftw!) and if he's ok with it, i'll get him to add you to Facebook. He will be able to tell you anything and everything you will ever need to know lol!
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Kjarkur
Spark of the Ori

Field Marshall wrote:I'll have a chat with meh man tomorrow (his stag weekend ftw!) and if he's ok with it, i'll get him to add you to Facebook. He will be able to tell you anything and everything you will ever need to know lol!

Thanks bro, appreciate it. Tell him he's free to add me. I could really use help from someone who's got some experience in these matters and isn't a salesperson for some suppliment.

Heisenberg wrote:Do they work very well, KJ?

I've currently just started going to the gym, and weight around 60KG. Always been skinny but wanting to builk a little. Not anything huge, just a little bigger and more toned.

As much as I love BSN, True-Mass did not work well on me aside from the fact I got a lot of energy. But Serious-Mass and Complex Mass from Optimum Nutrition worked great.

But I highly recommend Magnum 8000 from Trec. It tastes great, it's not 'rough' like the other gainers, it's just like drinking chocolate milk. And I started seeing better results almost right away.
Since it worked so well I decided to give GH Turbo (HGH Booster from Trec) a shot and it's amazing.
But the best product I've tried is Muscle-Kickstart/Anabolic Kickstart from Scitec nutrition. I drink it right after workout and I believe I found my soulmate.
Even if you just want to get a little bigger and more toned, if you have fast metabolism I believe you require a lot of proteins and carbs for your body to use.

S.A.W as pre-workout and you'll never need to try out another pre-workout product.

I was about 50KG, one of the skinniest guys out there. Now I'm 70KG's and looking good. 20KG's is A LOT of muscles.

But I'm just getting started :-D

Regarding workouts, I do f.x. chest on monday, shoulders the day after etc etc. In between I do what they call suicide workouts and I always have a spotter now to make sure I take as heavy weights as I can.
I don't do ANY cardio, if I did I'd burn everything away and end up lighter then air.
- > SGW Hall of Fame
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

As far as supplements go, they aren't really 'unhealthy' (if they were I reckon there would be a hard time marketing it ;) ), but they tend to go through a fair bit of rigorous precaution to ensure there are no dire consequences. That is of course if you take it as the dosage prescribed, some can have some nasty effects if taken to much of (what doesn't turn ugly though if you have a lot of it? ) like Vanadyl for instance. There are a crap ton of exercising and dieting supplements though, you will have to research each one and find the most harmonic mix for you and your workout.
The lifestyle of a body builder however is unhealthy.

I would recommend making sure you know why you are taking them, how they work and how it will benefit you. (Not just what it says on the jar...)
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Kjarkur
Spark of the Ori

Sol wrote:As far as supplements go, they aren't really 'unhealthy' (if they were I reckon there would be a hard time marketing it ;) ), but they tend to go through a fair bit of rigorous precaution to ensure there are no dire consequences. That is of course if you take it as the dosage prescribed, some can have some nasty effects if taken to much of (what doesn't turn ugly though if you have a lot of it? ) like Vanadyl for instance. There are a crap ton of exercising and dieting supplements though, you will have to research each one and find the most harmonic mix for you and your workout.

I would recommend making sure you know why you are taking them, how they work and how it will benefit you. (Not just what it says on the jar...)

Agreed. Specially since the jars all say the same thing "Bigger muscles!" LOL !!

I take breaks in between, where I only do protein and glutamine. I was wondering if I should maybe skip weight gainers all together and just add oatmeal and stuff to my protein shakes.

And now for example I hit a threshold so I added ZMA and HGH Booster to get me over it.

I also just bought a Milk-Thistle which is believed to clean the liver etc. I assume all of these products is some work for the organs.

-KJ
- > SGW Hall of Fame
Sol
Forum Addict

Kjarkur wrote:
Sol wrote:As far as supplements go, they aren't really 'unhealthy' (if they were I reckon there would be a hard time marketing it ;) ), but they tend to go through a fair bit of rigorous precaution to ensure there are no dire consequences. That is of course if you take it as the dosage prescribed, some can have some nasty effects if taken to much of (what doesn't turn ugly though if you have a lot of it? ) like Vanadyl for instance. There are a crap ton of exercising and dieting supplements though, you will have to research each one and find the most harmonic mix for you and your workout.

Agreed. Specially since the jars all say the same thing "Bigger muscles!" LOL !!

I take breaks in between, where I only do protein and glutamine. I was wondering if I should maybe skip weight gainers all together and just add oatmeal and stuff to my protein shakes.

And now for example I hit a threshold so I added ZMA and HGH Booster to get me over it.

I also just bought a Milk-Thistle which is believed to clean the liver etc. I assume all of these products is some work for the organs.

-KJ

Should be fine then, protein and glutamine are pretty basic.
You can survive without weight gainers and still beef up another 15+ kg, just don't expect it to happen pretty fast :P, remember to pump up the calories (and use them) for weight gain. Also egg whites ftw.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Kjarkur
Spark of the Ori

Sol wrote:
Kjarkur wrote:

-KJ

You can survive without weight gainers and still beef up another 15+ kg, just don't expect it to happen pretty fast :P, remember to pump up the calories (and use them) for weight gain. Also egg whites ftw.

Yeah I might just buy some quality protein next time instead of a gainer.

Have you any experience with the Carb loaders they are selling? Such as this one: http://sportsperformancenutrition.co.za ... ndex.shtml

is it the same carbs they use in gainers ?
- > SGW Hall of Fame
~wolverine~
Forum Addict

All i see from that carb loader is that it makes ya stomach work faster, surely you want it slower cause of ya fast metoblism?

I guess you've tried Casein as thats all really Id guess for high metabolism.
Sol
Forum Addict

Kjarkur wrote:
Sol wrote:
Kjarkur wrote:

-KJ

Yeah I might just buy some quality protein next time instead of a gainer.

Have you any experience with the Carb loaders they are selling? Such as this one: http://sportsperformancenutrition.co.za ... ndex.shtml

is it the same carbs they use in gainers ?

I have used no supplements :P el naturale baby. My ex gf on the other hand is why I know a bit about things, did a bit of research myself.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

Return to “This, That, Those, and Them”