We HATE Skype!! We HATE Skype!! We HATE Skype!! We HATE Skyp

A place general forum talk, not related to ingame discussions.
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

Re: We HATE Skype!! We HATE Skype!! We HATE Skype!! We HATE

Bioflick wrote:Agreed, skype is only usable with voice.. I miss msn already, even tho it was only dedicated too gw xD
..What? Skype is not just usable with voice. I type on it every single damn day.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Noobert wrote:
Bioflick wrote:Agreed, skype is only usable with voice.. I miss msn already, even tho it was only dedicated too gw xD
..What? Skype is not just usable with voice. I type on it every single damn day.
It is for butterfingers McFlick. ;) He has the sweetest, most bad-ass radio voice you could possibly imagine. No one reads what he writes, just listens for words he speaks. :-D
Sylus
Fledgling Forumer
Race: Love Demon
ID: 1915552

Z E R O wrote:
Sylus wrote:Oh. I maybe skimmed. Out of curiousity *what* chat client are you using?
Dubby_CompGamerGeek2 wrote: Update #2: From the Login Page of Imo.im, my web-based multiclient chat software:
Jesus, I swear that wasn't there when I typed, but...apologies none the less.

I haven't found much luck with web based chat clients. There are heaps of minimal/portable options available (penguin springs to mind).
JasonJay
Forum Irregular
ID: 0

Sylus wrote:
Z E R O wrote:
Sylus wrote:Oh. I maybe skimmed. Out of curiousity *what* chat client are you using?
Dubby_CompGamerGeek2 wrote: Update #2: From the Login Page of Imo.im, my web-based multiclient chat software:
Jesus, I swear that wasn't there when I typed, but...apologies none the less.

I haven't found much luck with web based chat clients. There are heaps of minimal/portable options available (penguin springs to mind).
Pidgin works as well?
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Yes, Pidgin was good, in my experience. :) I used it briefly until I bought Trillian. Which was good until I decided I didn't need so many connections, and moved to Skype. Then Microsoft bought Skype, and I merged my MSN and Skype accounts, and here we are.

Pretty happy with Skype. Although maybe when my internet connection gets fixed, I will be less pleased with its stability? Not sure what the general complaints are about Skype.
I mean.. "omg it dun werk" is hardly a complaint to which one can say, "Yes, I have the same issue."
Mathlord
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Tollan
ID: 12759

Skype started out great, but has become terrible for large group convos. One nice thing is that a room can hold a lot more people than MSN could, but it inherited one of MSN's big problems...the getting stuck out of a convo issue. On MSN if you tried to add someone to a convo, it would sometimes leave the person stuck on the waiting list for as long as the convo was going. Usually for TAF convos, this would happen to at least one person per day, sometimes a good half dozen. Then, depending on if they were especially chatty, we'd have to remake ze convo for them.

Skype's convo room is permanent, which is awesome and seems like a real convenience not having to add people again each day. The problem comes when someone in the room doesn't have a fully updated version of skype. Now you could say there's an easy fix to that, but when you have 50-60 skype accounts in a room and people sometimes using laptops, desktops, phones, ipads, whatever to access the room, it gets a little difficult. So then skype does this sinister thing...in the middle of the day, you just stop seeing new messages and people stop seeing yours. Usually people can figure out pretty quickly that something is amiss (at least in a busy chatting day), but then they have to either:

(a) Leave the convo and wait for it to reset so they can be added back in (could be up to a day)
(b) Have a convo admin boot them and reinvite

Just one problem...what if the person stuck is a convo admin...can't be booted now and has to wait a day in between each problem to get back into it. Very frustrating.

Trials and tribulations I suppose. Aside from that, skype is very convenient, but the longer we've had to use it, the more bugs and issues we've had to grow accustom to dealing with, and that list is not too much shorter than the list for msn...and msn at least had better emoticons :smt021
Spoiler

13:38 General Zeus Sabotage Repelled 377,977,330 details

The forces of simpson_eh fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 305,393,963,879,000 damage on Mathlord's forces!
They managed to eradicate 4,635,986 of Mathlord's troops.
---
The forces of simpson_eh fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 12 damage on Mathlord's forces!
They managed to eradicate 0 of Mathlord's troops.
Aisar Saqib
Forum Expert
Alliance: TF HC
Race: TF
ID: 1912374
Alternate name(s): ASJ, messenger of death,deadily knight,lord cyrus..

Mathlord wrote:Skype started out great, but has become terrible for large group convos. One nice thing is that a room can hold a lot more people than MSN could, but it inherited one of MSN's big problems...the getting stuck out of a convo issue. On MSN if you tried to add someone to a convo, it would sometimes leave the person stuck on the waiting list for as long as the convo was going. Usually for TAF convos, this would happen to at least one person per day, sometimes a good half dozen. Then, depending on if they were especially chatty, we'd have to remake ze convo for them.

Skype's convo room is permanent, which is awesome and seems like a real convenience not having to add people again each day. The problem comes when someone in the room doesn't have a fully updated version of skype. Now you could say there's an easy fix to that, but when you have 50-60 skype accounts in a room and people sometimes using laptops, desktops, phones, ipads, whatever to access the room, it gets a little difficult. So then skype does this sinister thing...in the middle of the day, you just stop seeing new messages and people stop seeing yours. Usually people can figure out pretty quickly that something is amiss (at least in a busy chatting day), but then they have to either:

(a) Leave the convo and wait for it to reset so they can be added back in (could be up to a day)
(b) Have a convo admin boot them and reinvite

Just one problem...what if the person stuck is a convo admin...can't be booted now and has to wait a day in between each problem to get back into it. Very frustrating.

Trials and tribulations I suppose. Aside from that, skype is very convenient, but the longer we've had to use it, the more bugs and issues we've had to grow accustom to dealing with, and that list is not too much shorter than the list for msn...and msn at least had better emoticons :smt021
you do know u could have said that in short .. umm like having troubles with skype but its convenient rather writing the BIG essay :P :smt042

Most Slaughters: 70 by ASJ

Trade feedback:
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=191582

SGW awards and past sigs:
Spoiler
ImageImage
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Heh. That was not a big essay. That was a proper post, reminiscent of the time before that **Filtered** Twitter corrupted everyone's ability to write.
Sniperwax
Forum Regular

Juliette wrote:Heh. That was not a big essay. That was a proper post, reminiscent of the time before that **Filtered** Twitter corrupted everyone's ability to write.
Have to agree with the female humanoid. For thousands of years our species had to write crap out with a quill or similar and that crap took days. People these days are very ignorant as to how good they have it in some regards.

Takes you 45 secs to read something that took 60 secs to write ooooooh man life is so rough isn't it? lol 45 seconds! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Sniperwax wrote:
Juliette wrote:Heh. That was not a big essay. That was a proper post, reminiscent of the time before that .. Twitter corrupted everyone's ability to write.
Have to agree with the female humanoid. For thousands of years our species had to write crap out with a quill or similar and that crap took days. People these days are very ignorant as to how good they have it in some regards.

Takes you 45 secs to read something that took 60 secs to write ooooooh man life is so rough isn't it? lol 45 seconds! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!
You are one slow reader, then. I personally read about 20 times faster than I write while concentrating on writing. I believe it is the same for most people, or people-adjacent entities.

Seriously. 45 seconds. How the hell do you read a book? :?
Sniperwax
Forum Regular

Juliette wrote:
Sniperwax wrote:
Juliette wrote:Heh. That was not a big essay. That was a proper post, reminiscent of the time before that .. Twitter corrupted everyone's ability to write.

You are one slow reader, then. I personally read about 20 times faster than I write while concentrating on writing. I believe it is the same for most people, or people-adjacent entities.

Seriously. 45 seconds. How the hell do you read a book? :?
I was being polite actually. I'm sure I can read it in 15 secs :D If it comes off as an essay it probably takes more than 15 secs for some people to read.

And to be kind of on topic YES SKYPE IS THE BLOWIES. Baaaaaad Skype! Bad! Baaaad!~
Mathlord
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Tollan
ID: 12759

If you guys want an essay, I can post my thesis proposal...
Spoiler

13:38 General Zeus Sabotage Repelled 377,977,330 details

The forces of simpson_eh fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 305,393,963,879,000 damage on Mathlord's forces!
They managed to eradicate 4,635,986 of Mathlord's troops.
---
The forces of simpson_eh fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 12 damage on Mathlord's forces!
They managed to eradicate 0 of Mathlord's troops.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Mathlord wrote:If you guys want an essay, I can post my thesis proposal...
You know I would have no objection to that. If you would give me an assignment in regards to it, and such.. Show away. I would in fact love to read your essay regardless of topic.. ;)
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Juliette wrote:
You know I would have no objection to that. If you would give me an assignment in regards to it, and such.. Show away. I would in fact love to read your essay regardless of topic.. ;)
Just make sure to make a new topic for it.
JasonJay
Forum Irregular

I'll "edit" it for you

Return to “This, That, Those, and Them”