Star Trek VS Star Wars (and anything inbetween.)

Where players can relax and discuss their favorite TV shows a*WARNING* spoilers may abound *WARNING*
Come_Forth
Forum Expert
ID: 0

Apadamek-Hitman Of Spam wrote:phaser has a wide beam setting as shown on voyager, can stun a whole squad with one man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg1491tQk5U&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzk7KHV5ZmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwUpCZBN4cY

I don't watch Voyager so it does not count :P Some of the phaser rifles on Next Generation are pretty cool, but I was just talking about the standard phaser. They are almost pointless to have in the original series, but I am guessing that is just because the special effects were just not good enough :-D

That last vid is pretty cool, I do not watch DS9 so I had not seen it before.
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
sniper
Forum Newbie

since i havent seen star trek and i seen star wars, i go with star wars lets just hope they win :) *whack * bling come on the lightsabers

*bling *whoossh come on the force..
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

Anakha wrote:Now the claoking devices in star wars were not widely used not becaseu they use so much pwr but more for the fact that they work both ways those inside a cloaking shield are unable to see anything outside of it.

that, would be a good reason why star wars cloaking devices aren't a strategic option.

as for resources, my brother made the following arguement:

star trek, has replicators, devices that can form matter from energy, and also has singularity power, that could theoretically generate almost unlimited power, which could power the energy/matter conversion of the replicators, and allow them to build ships nigh instantaneously. granted, this method of ship building has never been used...

a second option, is to build a "holo-ship" that could project a fleet of holograms around it, which would take damage like normal ships, but no real damage would be sustained. it'd be an awesome decoy fleet.

~_+Psi Kiya Trist+_~
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
Saturnine
Forum Regular
Race: Goauld
ID: 9570

Anakha wrote:The reason for armies is because in star wars they have Planetary shileds which protect the srface of the planet and everyone on it besides the fact that if you just destroy every planet that opposes you then eventually there would be less and less people in the galaxy and whats the point of dominating a galaxy with very few poeple left alive.

Perfectly put.

So the real reason Star Trek doesnt have ground wars?

Because its illogical captain...

Same said for people flying around in space for free, Ive never once seen currency used on Star Trek. I can't imagine a future without the greedy and the profitable.

but Roddenbury tries..
The Hamburglar
Forum Spammer

its a hard one to call, star trek has kilingons and star wars has wookies... theyre both hilarious but id have to give it to star wars on the strenght of chewy alone...

Chewy wrote:AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!

Hans Solo wrote:your right chewy, we should go left.
Indeed! I can scarcely believe it.
Fear Of The Duck
Forum Zombie

Psi Kiya Trist wrote:a second option, is to build a "holo-ship" that could project a fleet of holograms around it, which would take damage like normal ships, but no real damage would be sustained. it'd be an awesome decoy fleet.
~_+Psi Kiya Trist+_~

hasn't somebody used the very same strategy in star wars?
Saturnine
Forum Regular
Race: Goauld
ID: 9570

Corran Horn wrote:
Psi Kiya Trist wrote:a second option, is to build a "holo-ship" that could project a fleet of holograms around it, which would take damage like normal ships, but no real damage would be sustained. it'd be an awesome decoy fleet.
~_+Psi Kiya Trist+_~

hasn't somebody used the very same strategy in star wars?

Maybe somewhere in the expanded universe the ship Idea was used.

It does sound very familiar, anyone know?
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

Because it is used on stargate........
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
Fear Of The Duck
Forum Zombie

Star Trek has to lose. Why?

SW is FANTASY --> ANYTHING is possible in this world.
ST is SCI-FI (very poor sci, but sci) --> EVERYTHING has to be limited by the laws of physics etc.

So SW can create an ultimate weapon ST won't be able to stop because of it's limitations.
Kais the mighty
Forum Newbie
ID: 1001010

Re: Star Trek VS Star Wars (and anything inbetween.)

ST would win since they have the borg plus the post endgame voyager
KnowLedge
Forum Elite
Race: Lord of all Daimon

I dont think that question can be answered by our generation..

I personally havnt watched a single startrek episode.. nor have I watched any of the old startrek movies.. Ive only watched the new movie..

but I have watched all sw.. so I will say starwars wins! because of the force
ask me anything, i shell provide you free knowledge

Untrained Units Sold : 1245 Million UU

Am I a Good trader??
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=114491
HellGirl is my **Filtered**!
sarparto
Forum Regular

I grew up a fan of Star Wars and never gave Star Trek a chance. In college my roommate was a HUGE trek fan because it was "real" and hated Star Wars because it was "fake." Whenever we'd have a discussion she'd bring that up and I'd ask her how the S.S. Enterprise was holding up and if she'd met any interesting Klingon's lately. Star Wars, ftw.
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Hmm different rules, techs, concepts, and generations. And a lot more than just Trek or Wars.

The Shows / Films - Comparison type of -vs-

Star Wars - A truly epic saga telling one long story of good -v- evil over several films. The 1st 3 made were a global phenomenon, character based with groundbreaking effects, work of pure genius. The 2nd 3 made were mostly CGI fest flop in comparison with only a few saving graces.

Star War Clone Wars TV Show - Never seen a single episode.

Star Trek TOS - Cheesy cheaply made, badly acted, random 'we are so superior to whats differnt to us' stories........ why did people watch this ???

Star Trek Next Generation - Bloody Shakespeare in space Picard, and more 'we are so superior' BS, Robots that want to be human, shrinks on the bridge, my god this is so bad it makes me want to throw up.

Star Trek DS9 - Best of the Treks IMO, still not great but has long term plots, not so goody goody and plenty of fighting and flawed more realistic people.

Star Trek Voyager - Cpt Hepburn wannaby, PC gone mad with a black Vulcan, a damn singing holoquack, basically back to the vomit bag.

BattleStar Original - Loved it as a kid, as an adult tried to re-watch once and just couldnt because is aged soooooo badly.

BattleStar Remake - Epic, best remake ever, great acting, great effects, proper storyline and plots. Just brilliant Sci Fi.

Babylon 5 - Another epic good-v-evil, chaos-v-order long well planned saga, great effects for it's time, acting well some very good, some very bad but overall one of the best Sci Fi shows ever.

Buck Rogers - Like the original Battlstar it seemed good when very young but aged soooo badly it's now unwatchable. Bit of sci fi fun with bad acting and cheap rubbish effects even in it's day.

StarGate - Great show, mix of modern day realism with extreme sci fi. Effects were average but characters and stories more than made up for it, and the script & acting were spot on throwing in a comedy edge that meant adults could watch without being geeks. Ran a bit to long and deteriorated near the end.

StarGate Atlantis - Not bad for a spinoff, new twist, new baddies while keeping the basic formula. Was never going to live up to SG1 lacking in the main cast but watchable.

StartGate Universe - Tried to hard, totally over-hyped, poor script & story, poor charactors, forgot what made SG1 great and the only epic thing about it was how badly it failed.

SG Movies - Shouldn't really be called movies, they were just 3 episodes back to back. A way the squeeze more money out of SG1 fans.

Dr Who - Varies massively from Dr to Dr, decade to decade. At it's best it's brilliant, at it's worst it's pure trash. The film versions all fell into the trash category.

Space Above & Beyond - Great stuff, still sci fi, reasonably believable compared to most sci fi, proper character & story. This series was to damn short.

Andromeda - Hercules in space, cheesy trash that was somehow amusing enough to watch for one series, couldn't bare it any more after that. Storyline was promising but went off track, charactors were interesting and funny but quickly ran out of juice and became tiresome.

Farscape - Quite funny, good for kiddies.

Blakes 7 - Badly acted, cheaply made, laughable effects yet somehow in a way I find difficult to explain still brilliant.

On the tech fighting each other type comparisons ( which is all a bit geeky ), obviously the Q ( Trek NG ) can go back in time and stop an enemy ever evolving, as could the Timelords ( Dr Who ) if they wanted, that has to beat any weapon/race. The rest is futile to compare since there is no common scale to measure things on. How much power in say MegaWatts can a phaser, or a PlasmaCannon, or an Asgard Beam weapon, or Vorlon Beam weapon produce ???? Or the various imaginary shields / hull materials withstand ???? Most of these fictions have things which are simple impossible in any conceivable future so just enjoy them for what they are and dont over think or try to compare on a tech level.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Thel
Forum Irregular
Alliance: ~Cloud Village~
ID: 1946016

Wars would win, but i like trek more, the ships are nicer :smt050

An eclipse star destroyer could just run over the entire federation fleet without firing a single shot :smt042
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted.
War....war never changes.

Return to “The TV room”