A place to discuss 'Market Stuff'

Moderator: Market Mods

quickshot84
Forum Irregular
Race: Goa'uld
ID: 0

minimum forum posts

what ever happened to this rule?

i remember that there used to be a minimum number of posts you needed to have on the forum to be able to post in the market section (and im talking about a long time ago)

basically it was a way, so that people with, lets say, less that 50 posts, but who posted a thread had that thread locked by the mod

iirc, it was to stop people from making new accounts to scam with etc.

now with the new phpbb3, they should only be able to make this section available to people who have a certain amount of posts.

of course its just a small way of stopping people making new accounts to scam with, but non the less, its some what effective

anyone elses thoughts on this?
Member of Ω Allegiance: 22/6/05 - 7/1/07
www.co-opp.net - because gaming was made to be fun [Clan OhnD, mcsA, mcOhnD!] - {CoD4/CSS/TF2} - #co-opp
repli**cator
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: SOLO
Race: RepliTiMaster
ID: 65108
Alternate name(s): makanko
~mak~

Re: minimum forum posts

i believe the min post was 50 and it only applied to selling planet locations (as far as i can remember)

i dun think it's necessary to re-implement this since it would just mean more spamming or saying something a bit on-topic on every topic to get a higher post count..
POWER to the repli/nanoti !
Role Playing
"Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear"
Sphinx42
Goa'uld

Unless I'm mistaken, it only applied to cash trades...
Gone, left, no longer here.
Omoc
Forum Elite
Alliance: *Lone Wolf*
Race: Tollan

It was only for planets... and i think rule is offically still vaild :-D
quickshot84
Forum Irregular
Race: Goa'uld

Omoc wrote:It was only for planets... and i think rule is offically still vaild :-D

i funnily remember it pre-planets

anyone want to see it implemented in all sections?
Member of Ω Allegiance: 22/6/05 - 7/1/07
www.co-opp.net - because gaming was made to be fun [Clan OhnD, mcsA, mcOhnD!] - {CoD4/CSS/TF2} - #co-opp
Omoc
Forum Elite
Alliance: *Lone Wolf*
Race: Tollan

it would sure help out alot in many ways...
but let's ask ourselfes... why do people from sgw come to forums for the first time mostly? to trade... so that would surely increase the number of spam... :)
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

The rule was 50 post for any trade. It was abandoned because it caused massive spamming and people who would of had 500 post still did not have the 50 needed as all post in market get deleted. 1 trader inparticular was active solely on the market section. He broke the 50 posts like 10 or 11 times due to his post being deleted. Spam temple posts did not add to your post count then, and several spam warnings were issued and people complained. In the end any scammer could get the 50 posts needed easily and still do the deed.

It comes down to each person knowing the person you trade with. You you don't know someone ask for references. If you dont feel comfortable the do private broker trades only until you get to know them.

Hope this helps.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.

Return to “Market Discussion”