Generalized Illiteracy

A place general forum talk, not related to ingame discussions.
R D Anderson
Forum Expert
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Ancient
ID: 74981

Re: Generalized Illiteracy

Z E R O wrote:I am always high

:-k
Z E R O
Forum Addict
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1918344
Alternate name(s): Hymir

R D Anderson wrote:

Just like I am right now. Still can type pretty well, though.
Z E R O - Jötunheim - 1907332 - UnKnown of the TOLAH
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
R D Anderson
Forum Expert
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Ancient
ID: 74981

Z E R O wrote:
R D Anderson wrote:

Naw yhoo write gud n stuffs, i have pride on you
Z E R O
Forum Addict
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1918344
Alternate name(s): Hymir

R D Anderson wrote:
Z E R O wrote:
R D Anderson wrote:

Naw yhoo write gud n stuffs, i have pride on you

na man i sux at da typing.
Z E R O - Jötunheim - 1907332 - UnKnown of the TOLAH
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
Cwalen
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 0

Tharkfully in engwish only the fisrt and laest Wettres in a word need to be correct for a brain to interpret the rest. Having most of the other letters, even in the wrong order does make it easier. Right with semper in the evolution.

For my written expression, most of the problem here, is that I am often more than a little tipsy when playing games online. But then my spelling and punctuation aren't anything to write home about either, even at the best of times.

Might I recommend reading "the moon is a harsh mistress" Robert A. Heinlein and "Feersum Endjinn" Ian.M.Banks?
Elegantly written, with grammatical abominations in the first and barely a single English word in the second. Off putting to everyone, not just those who value precise use of language, which leads me to George Hazard's "I for one die a little when I see just blatant disregard for simple pronunciation. "

I, for one, die a little, when I see blatant disregard for simple punctuation?

On the net, no one can hear you pronounce ;)
BarelyAllen
Forum Expert
Alliance: Justice League
Race: Speedster
ID: 1996821
Alternate name(s): Amag

Cwalen wrote:Tharkfully in engwish only the fisrt and laest Wettres in a word need to be correct for a brain to interpret the rest. Having most of the other letters, even in the wrong order does make it easier. Right with semper in the evolution.

atculaly, taht's not aaywls crorcet.

For emxlape, "The sprehas had ponits and patles" colud be mltiplue tihgns, jsut lkie the wrod "colud".
-Silence will fall-

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Need a sig? Want one of the ones on display in the spoiler edited for your use? Just ask.

http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=174250 feedback
Cwalen
Fledgling Forumer

<bows deeply in respect>

A larger sample would give context, but given the sort of incoherent expression that we are talking about, the expressions tend to be quite short.
SuperSaiyan
Persistent spambot
Race: Yankee
Alternate name(s): Lt. Frank Drebin

Honours and Awards

Cwalen wrote:On the net, no one can hear you pronounce ;)

And when you read their garble, you are forced to pronounce it incorrectly.

Punctuation does not include misspelled words with correct sentence structure.
Cwalen
Fledgling Forumer

Thankfully, or not, for me? I don't get the punch in the gut feeling when I read something that is "wrong"

You are right, those of you who have the natural wiring to be able to effortlessly correct your own expressions, do pronounce what is written, and it literally causes discomfort (not that I have any references for that on hand, but I believe it is documented).

The auditory processing of the written word leading to kinesthetic feedback makes learning correct expression natural, and makes a lot of what is written on the net painful to read.

Not sure if at the end of the day it sucks to be me, or it sucks to be you. It doesn't bother me to read l33t speak, however I do need to guard my typing if I don't want to appear as an illiterate teenager.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Cwalen wrote:Thankfully, or not, for me? I don't get the punch in the gut feeling when I read something that is "wrong"

You are right, those of you who have the natural wiring to be able to effortlessly correct your own expressions, do pronounce what is written, and it literally causes discomfort (not that I have any references for that on hand, but I believe it is documented).

The auditory processing of the written word leading to kinesthetic feedback makes learning correct expression natural, and makes a lot of what is written on the net painful to read.

Not sure if at the end of the day it sucks to be me, or it sucks to be you. It doesn't bother me to read l33t speak, however I do need to guard my typing if I don't want to appear as an illiterate teenager.
Trust me, anyone who pronounces your posts will do so in a scholarly British English manner, with excellent diction. Making your posts even more astonishing in insight and 'correctness'. :-D
Cwalen
Fledgling Forumer

<reaches for easy repartee> <fails> <blushes>
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

Cwalen wrote:Tharkfully in engwish only the fisrt and laest Wettres in a word need to be correct for a brain to interpret the rest. Having most of the other letters, even in the wrong order does make it easier. Right with semper in the evolution.

It's not just in English, it's in pretty much every language.

FM - Generalized and Generalised - both is correct. One is used in UK and the other one in US (I am not completely sure whether you wanted to imply SS made a grammar mistake or not, but that's how I understood your post).

Anyway, I prefer to write with the correct (well correct or one that's to the best of my abilities) use of punctuations and grammar throughout forums/websites in which I communicate in English language, as I know it has greatly improved my English throughout the years and that there is still room for improvement. As far as chats go - I do often shorten the phrases and use some colloquial language.
In my own language, however, I do shorten phrases (although not nearly as much as I have before) and almost always use punctuations where they belong (both things in unofficial exchanges of words, of course..in official it's 'grammar + punctuation on' kind of mode). Regarding text messages - I do use punctuations most of the time (except a dot or two at the end of the message) and often tell others to do the same as I don't really like reading things twice or three times to make sure whether or not I understood something correctly. :razz:
A teen in our language, translated, is a word which would mean everyone between ages 10 and 19 (19 still being included), so I am still a teen according to the word in my language (and an adult), although in English you stop being a teen when you reach adulthood at age 18, right? :P So according to English I am not a teen any more. :P So that's just a teen&adult/adult's writing style :P

Semper's got a point, though, with the evolution of language. Just take a look at poetry and how many more words were being used throughout 16-19th centuries, compared to now. I also heard of a book, the name of which eludes me right now, that suggested the use of a very simple language that would have 1 word for each thing (so no synonyms) and a negator in-front for all the antonyms. So for instance "I sleep" which would encompass everything from sleeping, resting on a couch, having a nap,.. and "I no sleep" instead of "I am awake". Interesting concept, one which I think could become a reality.

~N
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler
Cwalen
Fledgling Forumer

English as a second language tends to produce far superior or at least more formal expression.
As Neimenljivi said, I do slang in my own tongue.

Academic **Filtered** like me, also have a tendency to use short hand, illusions, references and the like that effectively exclude others.

John Donne, "The flea" will have the willing reaching for google. That's fairly exclusive.
"Marke butte the flea, and marke in this how little thou denies me is" Doesn't even get direct google hits.
"hey honey we are covered in fleas, so we might as well shag" ? Might be the modern equivalent, but you had better hope she has a sense of humor and knowledge of 15-16 century English poetry if your idea of foreplay is not being slapped.

The language is evolving.
Master Rahl
Forum Regular
Alliance: KzD
Race: Aydindril
ID: 13355
Alternate name(s): Master Rahl

There are many different types of intelligence. There are quite a few that are in MENSA, unmatched in one or two areas, but cant even do simple math. There are others that can do math beyond any of our imagination but has very rudiment language skills. All humans are not the same.
[9:21:11 PM] Les Ennemis: good i like our members happy
What kind of plans would the Master Rahl have? I plan to conquer the world
Spoiler
ImageImage
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

The suggestion that language naturally evolves into Newspeak, is .. frightening. *grin*

Return to “This, That, Those, and Them”