forum users, goats, gentlemen.....things...shadows..people..

Forum for all general ingame discussion.
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

forum users, goats, gentlemen.....things...shadows..people..

lend me thy eyes....for I have been reading, and disliking what I have seen.

Too many warnings have been issued by the mods as of late. Too many for too trifle a set of things. The rules are laid down indeed, but having been in a position myself as a mod, and as a forum admin, I know now that this cannot be allowed to continue in the way in which it is now advancing.

The calibre of moderator on this forum has been somewhat shifty over the years, from the greatness of Wolf359 and buck themselves, to the more lower echelons we have seen over the past two years, not to name anyone.

The job of a mod is very much one of give and take. Be blind, and be scorned. Respect, and be respected. Be hard but fair, and be praised. Be too pedantic about the rules, and be burned.

Yes the community has made its mistakes, but I feel now, that the increasing number of mods is ridiculous as a starter for ten. The power mad behaviour of the mods now warning for basic insults and slander (not for swearing, swearing is bad...) and avoiding filters is beyond belief!

There is a great fine line about how one should act, and now I see this as having been crossed. It has been due to the inability of the mods to justify their actions and lay down a firm foot in the past that the whole debacle of sig wording has arisen for instance.

Now I say that enough is enough. Mods should be a mod team, we dont want part time mods who over compensate when they can be around. We dont want inexperienced people thrown into positions of power mere weeks after receiving their first position. Mods who have performed stupid acts and allowed to continue in their positions despite it. DO we have a creditable administration at all?

it almost seems as if these forums are cursed so we can never quite acquire the level of moderation and administration I generally see everywhere else.

There is a great calibre of character throughout this forum, something I dont admit enough, but many of whome have been ignored or missed when the time came. Missed for those who I know for fact are with close ties to the admins themselves. Something which disappointed me Smoosh as I thought you better.

(the following is directed at the mods alone)
Now, why do I post this here? Presiding mods may wonder, if its a forum problem then it belongs else where.

Oh no...I say. I am not complaining, merely thinking aloud and stating an opinion, if I wanted to raise a topic for the interest of the main mods and the future ombudsman to address im more than able to place it where it truly belongs. This is for the interest of the community.

What does it have to do with SGW game, well lots, you see the mood I gain from the forums effects ones game play, and of course this then passes on to who I effect and to who I interact with, and this topic may actually effect my mood, thereby having consequences in the game.

(the above two paragraphs are justifications as to why this belongs where I have posted it. Find a way to counter the logic of your own rules, and well...need I say more.)

SO all I want to do now is gage what everyone else thinks, im not looking for counter arguments, more sorta an evaluation of the current forum staff. Mere chit chat around the coffee table so to speak with those who we speak of at the next table ear wigging in. :-D I do generally expect to be alone in this endeavour as one who acts such as I do, generally is, but that has no less stopped me from posting.

anyway. Do enjoy.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Mato
Forum Expert

Re: forum users, goats, gentlemen.....things...shadows..people..

geisha
Forum Addict
Race: Pastafarian
ID: 65545

I am not in the position to argue about this any longer because I am already being targeted by certain mods.

However, just get this:

I was warned for altering the capitalisation of the word "Janus" in a discussion about the whole filtering and masking issue. I even got banned.

When I pointed out that that variation of the word "Janus" wasn't directed at anyone in particular in the post I got warned for, but only used in order to discuss the matter, I was told it was still a rule violation and considered masking. I was also told everybody else would get warned for it.

So I reported all the posts I could find containing those oh so bad variations of "Janus" and to my very surprise, Nimras refused to edit a post or warn someone for it because it was only a "discussion" about the issue. This time the official discussion thread and therefore allowed.

So not only do some people get warned for things others don't get warned for, there also seem to be some secret hidden rules about where and when you may discuss things or not.

I contacted smoosh about that matter asking him if the rules and the word filter apply to everyone equally. All I got as a reply was something along the lines of "no they only apply to you".

So much for the current situation on the forums.

I do have a problem with a certain mod who banned me in the past for posting "bow before your god" in a war thread because he thought it was offensive towards the Christian religion and who just recently banned me for calling another player a traitor. So much for the community of a role playing game...

I reckon it won't be long before said mod will ban me again for something that isn't even near a rule violation while others can flame and swear and insult at will.

I just hope the next Ombudsman will be a person who takes the time to listen to that kind of problems on the forums.
geisha
touched by his noodly appendage

semper

my dear jack, this is not an argument thread, and i shall watch it as closely as possible. This is not made for the mods to defend themselves, but for the general community to have chance to make their points heard WITHOUT having to justify and defend what they think.

Of course, do police it as you would any other topic, but please. ALL mods, just step back from the counter arguing. I want people to be able to feel they can post here without having to immediately prove and defend any opinion or story they tell.

Try and respect that wish as your appointed positions imply you should!
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Maha Vishnu
System Lord
Alliance: Pharoah- Goauld Empire
Race: Goa'uld

geisha wrote:.
I do have a problem with a certain mod who banned me in the past for posting "bow before your god" in a war thread because he thought it was offensive towards the Christian religion and who just recently banned me for calling another player a traitor. So much for the community of a role playing game....

Well, maybe you should of used Sholva instead of traitor, but then thinking about it, most likely you may of been banned for using a word that is offensive to turn coat Jaffa. :lol:

Next they will be banning me for saying that the Tauri will become slaves.

I must admit, I have never seen you post with swearing or offensive language in.

The biggest problem is all mods have there own in built decency programme.

Rules are applied, but rules are not black and white. There is grey and the grey is the part where interpretation occurs.

Maybe it has to take two mods to agree to ban a player.

Thats my 2 Shes'tas, nice constructive post Semper

Host=Does not matter, Goauld=Maha Vishnu, Ori = ????? OOC:=ME
Descensions
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
geisha
Forum Addict
Race: Pastafarian
ID: 65545

See Jack, this is another problem: communication. When ever I do ask questions, I never seem to get a proper answer.

I actually have no clue which of my warnings still stand and which were removed. For all I know only my last warning which I got for calling someone a traitor on their alliance was removed. The Janus warning is still up.

So either, I wasn't informed or you are not on the same page with your fellow super mods.
geisha
touched by his noodly appendage

Biscuit
The Crumbly One

geisha wrote:
I do have a problem with a certain mod who banned me in the past for posting "bow before your god" in a war thread because he thought it was offensive towards the Christian religion

That's pathetic - banning you because you posted that :lol: It's actually funny

Anyway, I'm mainly a spammer and from what I've seen in the Misc section of the forum is nothing but fairness.
Mystake
Forum Addict
Alliance: Dominium of Chaos
Race: System Lord
ID: 50147

Jack wrote:
geisha wrote:However, just get this:

I was warned for altering the capitalisation of the word "Janus" in a discussion about the whole filtering and masking issue. I even got banned.

You got that warning and ban lifted, too.

Hmm I got warned for calling someone Scum, and altering the capitalization of Janus on a discussing with a moderator, The Rook because an RM siggy said "F'n U All up the Janus". well, apparently janus was trying to get around the filter even though in the siggy there was no capitalization change. I proceeded to say "its going to get unbanned anway"

ya... don't evne say that it isn't double standards

on the same note, I got warned for calling someone Scum. Seriously. no joke.

I think the moderators are getting a bit out of hand with warnings.. i mean you dish it like its free cnady out the back of your van.
TRADE FEEDBACK - I am an A+ trader! Safest $ trades in all of SGW. I do escrow services too!
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 48&t=83709

Former member of what became the Alliance of the Year of 2009, Nemesis Sect.

Mathlord wrote:The Reclaimer has been descended as a result of the battle!!!

Good times ;)
#-o
Don Lewis
Forum Regular
ID: 57273

The main problem as i see it is all the quality people have slowly been driven away from these forums leaving only the town idiots who ofcourse have now become mods etc

All hope for this forum is lost, find the delete button, press it and start over.

Don.
Pele
Forum Irregular
Alliance: The Dark Legion
Race: Ancient
ID: 23879

Semper wrote:my dear jack, this is not an argument thread, and i shall watch it as closely as possible. This is not made for the mods to defend themselves, but for the general community to have chance to make their points heard WITHOUT having to justify and defend what they think.

Of course, do police it as you would any other topic, but please. ALL mods, just step back from the counter arguing. I want people to be able to feel they can post here without having to immediately prove and defend any opinion or story they tell.

Ah but if the mods cannot defend themselves then a false image may be portayed of them(not aimed at anybody in particular).

To your point, I have been a mod on alliance forums before so nowhere near as big and I still sucked at that so all I have is respect for our current mod team as the job is more difficult than it appears.

People forget that mods are human and make mistakes aswell but when a mistake is made it is very difficult to amend as the community will jump on any sign of weakness and demand the mods head. Due to the community if a mistake is made mods are usually forced into awkward situations that are needless and easily avoided.
RobinInDaHood
Forum Elite
Race: Vulpes
ID: 75697

You could solve some of the problems by requiring that mods were over the age of 35.

However, I suspect that would also have the side-effect of removing Admin Jason as an administrator of his own forums, which just seems kinda hateful.

:lol:
semper

Pele wrote:
Semper wrote:my dear jack, this is not an argument thread, and i shall watch it as closely as possible. This is not made for the mods to defend themselves, but for the general community to have chance to make their points heard WITHOUT having to justify and defend what they think.

Ah but if the mods cannot defend themselves then a false image may be portayed of them(not aimed at anybody in particular).

To your point, I have been a mod on alliance forums before so nowhere near as big and I still sucked at that so all I have is respect for our current mod team as the job is more difficult than it appears.

People forget that mods are human and make mistakes aswell but when a mistake is made it is very difficult to amend as the community will jump on any sign of weakness and demand the mods head. Due to the community if a mistake is made mods are usually forced into awkward situations that are needless and easily avoided.

yes I know what it can create, but thats down to ones own common sense. In time I am sure it is inevitable they will be here to defend anyway.

Humans do make mistakes, but this is a little silly now..lol. Its the same mistakes over and over. We will never get a perfect mod team, but there are better choices then the current state of affairs which has shown generally nothing but who can buddy buddy Smooshable first.

@ rith...lol.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Mattwell
Forum Irregular
Alliance: TSA
Race: Goauld
ID: 13702

Mato wrote:Image

Jimmy Duggan wrote:Avoid the Clapp!
JediMasterX
Forum Zombie
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Jedi
ID: 101050

I agree with this Semper. The mods seriously need to take a step back and look at how silly they have this **Filtered** looking. Recently Judo got a warning for calling auriel a retard...seriously. He got a warning for calling Aureil a retard. Not to say that he had a right to do it, but this is what I meant few months ago about mods taking away words we can't say when they took Hell away. Now they're saying retard is a no no.

Mods: As I said before, this is crap. Not saying I should be able to get on here and cuss out every single person I see, but I should be able to use words that are used and not regarded as foul language. If people's feelings get hurt off of what goes on in this game, they need to quit. Since I can't say what I want to without getting modded or warned it is one of the reasons why I've quit. If anything make a disclaimer or something saying: Warning, your feelings may ( most likely ) will get hurt on these forums.

Mods are supposed to be in forums to handle problems and stuff. Not take every single word someone says and warn them for it because some idiot got their feelings hurt.
(11:31 PM) Biscuit: I wish it was Jedi that massed me instead of a noob!
Tweety Girl says (11:48 PM)
.. i'm gonna come off vac mode just to mass JediMasterX so i can say "i hit it" .. damn that boy is smokin hot
2,454,890 Untrained ware taken from the realm of Oma Dasala.
{TAF DESCENTIONS}
killtacular
Forum Addict

I say it all comes down to common sense. Like the pick F'n u all up the Janus.

The smart ones know what it means and it is not right. Yes I think its funny but it isn't right to allow one thing and let other things slide.

Return to “StarGateWars General”