Remember when...

Forum for all general ingame discussion.
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

Re: Remember when...

I remember when 2k UPs were a major thing and if you had a commander, they used to give you rewards for having such a big income, 100k armies were considered big armies, especially if you've already ascended. I remember when trading was only enabled to those who bought SSs and there were no market SSs to buy. I remember when I suggested that to Jason in an email. I remember when people couldn't choose not to accept officers so I used to join "DONT WANT OFFICERS" or some account named something in that tune who used to make something like 15 million naq per turn and I got 3 million and that was a huge deal back then. I remember when MSs were something only the top 30 or so could buy. When ascended server (and the link to it) was a secret. I remember being told (and, as there was no real knowledge about it passed around) that the only way to get GnRs is to attack the guys in top 300. Obviously, that didn't work and I apologized to a fair few of them. I remember being very confused when I saw some of the first ascended players (you could literally remember all of the ascended players by name). That was before any of them got even LG titles. Heck, I remember when I used to think equipping my army with different types of weapons would serve as a tactical advantage (Goa'ulds had gliders, if I recall correctly, which were the most expensive offence weapon and I - and I know of a fair few others who thought so as well - thought that it isn't smart to put all of your soldiers in the air, it's better if you leave some on the ground for a ground assault and that would give us the advantage).
I remember one of the first Quantum Wars eras. I remember when Chaos Wars first came to be and how all the major alliances wanted to basically own it. I remember when we bought DMUs from High Empty and it was a couple turns worth of income on ascended server from him, while it was a really, really huge deal for all of us.
I remember when there were a good couple of national alliances. Slovenia, although a small country, had a huge player base in SGW. We used to hold annual meetings. I remember when High Empty came to one of those meetings.
I remember the Tok'ra race.
I remember buying an avatar for 10k units and that was a huge deal, but everyone who counted for something had to have one when they participated on forums. The sig makers really profited A LOT. That was probably one of the first reasons why I became interested into making graphics which is what I am now studying and also working as a UX/graphics guy (along with coding) in an IT company. Funny how life turns out. Perhaps if I hadn't joined SGW, I would have studied something completely different - and it's actually a real possibility.

Oh, good old times.

~N
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler
Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Race: Goa'uld System Lord
ID: 19701
Alternate name(s): Xjba#1819(battle.net)
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Nothing quite like the good ol' days.

I remember the spam temple of old, and the days of the original System Lords Alliance.

I also remember when MGM was threatened by the existence of this game, as though it was anything BUT free advertising for them. :roll:
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

-"Collected Sayings of Muad'dib"
ombre
Forum Grunt
Alliance: Searching for
Race: Ori
ID: 0

Yeah back in 2006, forums and game were much more crowdy. :D remember the first wars, supporter status was sooo out of reach... :) The only thing which i hate is this nonsense with server wars... Still dragin for years.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Remember when people used the "bump" posting to keep their market threads at the top? (few happened to use the funny pic of a baby hippo being bumped underwater by a relative)

Wasn't there also a feature to bump once your last post if nobody answered?
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Andy!
Forum Irregular

Chaos decided 5GnR ranked belonged to them and FUALL and you had to build up on ppt into the ranks and then de-rank so you wouldn't get massed...

Or that time when 140 people in an empire didn't seem like more than the entire playerbase
Role Play Voice
Andy, the leader of the Skeleton Crew, subject of the Judgement alliance, disciples of the House of Lofn, labelled cheaters by some, warriors by rights and victors, to be named.

Ascended Tournaments
Spoiler
World Radiography Day, 8th November
Then came a picture
of a lady's hand
in strange nature.
Unheard and unspoken,
there was a ring on a finger
to tell she was taken!

Greyscale appearance in and out
giving info of what was within
expelling scales of what was without!
Hence we could see through
no matter how concealed or secretive,
no matter how complaints were untrue!

In the spirit of this celebration
I profess my love
for this noble profession.
A radiographer is me
if you ever had to question,
for Papa Roentgen made us be!
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

Anyone else remember when Plumbersmack became the first player to take rank 1 from the empty accounts at the beginning of the game?

When sabotage as an action was "coming soon(tm)".

When the top Spy level was 9, before Ultimate supporter status gave you a free spy level?

Anyone? *walks back into nursing home dejectedly*
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
Ferra
Forum Irregular
ID: 39507

When we had an irc that was was active all the time
Support
Site Admin
Alternate name(s): Juliette

Or there at all.

Shameless plug, visit https://discord.gatewa.rs to connect to our Discord server.
Ferra wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 pm When we had an irc that was was active all the time
Ferra
Forum Irregular

Support wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:08 pm Or there at all.

Shameless plug, visit https://discord.gatewa.rs to connect to our Discord server.
Ferra wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 pm When we had an irc that was was active all the time
Still not anywhere near as active as irc was in the early years
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Ferra wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Still not anywhere near as active as irc was in the early years
Never implied that, sir. [-X
killtacular
Forum Addict

Remember when Teamspeak was the new thing.
Ferra
Forum Irregular

Remember when ascended server had a super weapon...
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

The discord sucks, there's no voice channels, it won't let you post links, or images. So blah. :-p
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

.....I would log on, click attack as much as my turns would allow, log off, didnt know anybody, didnt talk to anybody, didnt know there were forums.....yea those were the days :smt050

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
InR
Forum Addict
Alliance: You can find me in TAF ;)
Race: Tok' Ra
ID: 5741
Alternate name(s): .::.:.::.::.

remembering when... JediTank was still playing :)

Return to “StarGateWars General”