Consequences

Forum for all general ingame discussion.
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

Consequences

Having returned to the game after about 5 years absence and slowly but surely working my way through ascensions (2 week cooldown is a pest) I have been massed a couple of times for farming. Back in the day being massed would have been a massive issue and i would probably have been posting on alliance forums, checking alliance diplomatic statuses and massing back (probably in reverse order), of late i have realised two things

1) Massing seems to be two a penny - legitimately farming semi-active (at best) accounts who have zero or little defence can result in being massed. Is it just me or are the days of diplomacy dead? Planets used to have names which warned of massing, commanders or alliance leadership would message to warn, threaten, hell even taunt...nowadays it's a soulless clinical mass, they destroy your defence, you get no warning (fair enough, you probably know who you hit to deserve it), but there's not even any interaction whatsoever, which in a way makes me sad, i'm sure i'm not alone in having made allies and even good friends from former enemies or victims

2) Who cares?
I lost my defence in approx 6 mins over about 150 attacks (so ~2250 turns), the units killed are those i put out there to be killed (knowing full well they would be lost in ascension anyway)

I can rebuild my defence in under a minute, the cost of which i could recoup in a couple of minutes and would probably cost somewhere in the region of ~250 turns (being conservative)

I can spend 8 days out of 14 on PPT (more if i time ascending right) and so the only inconvenience suffered in the few hours of g&r i've missed

All the important stuff on my account (MS, covert levels, UP etc) are completely untouchable.

It seems to me that resources are so abundant (UU, turns and naq) that what was once an enjoyable war game, with important command/alliance structures, has lost any element of competitiveness or consequence

Thoughts?

p.s.
First post on here in about 3 years or so :)
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
~nyx~
Forum Expert
Alternate name(s): CleoCatra, Temptress, Femme Fatale, Nyx, Cleo

Re: Consequences

don't know about consequences game lost its conscience somewhere along the line

the bigger alliances do have naps in place and diplomacy does exist to an extent but you are right not like it once did.
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;
the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

No one is more hated, than they that speak the truth ~Plato
SGW player since 11 Oct 2005 memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5707
dazman
Forum Elite
ID: 0

You are correct, the game is not what it once was.

And there sure is an abundance of resources, to some people at least.
Your best bet would be to not take the game too seriously and don't expect much out of the player base, find an alliance and make some friends.
disturbed_one wrote:its a war game so if by us massing random peeps ruins the game for them then maybe they should go play with barbi dolls ;)
Trade feedback thread~
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 48&t=70898
harchester
Forum History
Alliance: Ricos Roughnecks

James join endgame - farm everyone we are kool dudes and everyone talks about us 90% of the time
Even if you hear a bad story about me, Understand that there was a time I was good to those people to, But they won’t tell you that...
god of war
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: Δ Allegiance
Race: ancient
ID: 1979427
Alternate name(s): crixus

dont listen to harch they are cheaters and admin lets them get away with it
harchester
Forum History
Alliance: Ricos Roughnecks

god of war wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:10 pm dont listen to harch they are cheaters and admin lets them get away with it
Case and point james.. though I forgot to say endgame members also has fans who follow them around... soooo cuteeee
Even if you hear a bad story about me, Understand that there was a time I was good to those people to, But they won’t tell you that...
Castaneda
Forum Newbie

~NyX~ wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:06 am don't know about consequences game lost its conscience somewhere along the line

the bigger alliances do have women's weight loss pills and naps in place and diplomacy does exist to an extent but you are right not like it once did.
You're so right, but hardly anything stays the same for years at a time. You just adapt or move on I suppose. hehe
Last edited by Castaneda on Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

Castaneda wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:31 am
~NyX~ wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:06 am don't know about consequences game lost its conscience somewhere along the line

the bigger alliances do have naps in place and diplomacy does exist to an extent but you are right not like it once did.
You're so right, but hardly anything stays the same for years at a time. You just adapt or move on I suppose. hehe
i guess my point is that whilst the mechanics of the game might have changed (who else remembers the time before motherships?), the fundemental nature of the game is the same i.e. a war game with commanders and aliiances

it is the degradation of the political/diplomatic side of things which is sad, as that was part of what made the game so enjoyable
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
Mane
Forum Newbie

Londo Mollari wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:55 am

i guess my point is that whilst the mechanics of the game might have changed (who else remembers the time before motherships?), the fundemental nature of the game is the same i.e. a war game with commanders and aliiances

it is the degradation of the political/diplomatic side of things which is sad, as that was part of what made the game so enjoyable
I tend to agree with you. People used to pause and consider whether a massing was worth the potential consequences and losses. That led to more diplomacy and interaction.
I also enjoyed the buildup before a war and the initial strikes were always fun.
Nimras
Forum Addict
Alliance: Yggdrasil
Race: Viking
ID: 30667

Londo Mollari wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:55 am

I remember a time before Mothership damn that does bring back memories.
CC90
Forum Expert
Alliance: Endgame
Race: System Lord
ID: 666
Alternate name(s): The Millenium, ~CLOUD~, ~Ragnarok, OMA SEIKU

To be fair massing is a staple of the game if you build expect to be massed... The days of diplomacy is basically dead...

We do have negotiations but it's more aggressive negotiations...

On that note should join endgame we have our own fan group and everyone wants to be in it :smt050
22:00:43 Colonel Jack Oneill -Rob Merkley: ok, Well there you have it I suck and am a noob, ill leave the fighting to you mightly mutha **Filtered**Image
harchester wrote: Harch - no more massing from me ;)
Tok`ra
Forum Expert
Alliance: Olympus
Race: Tok`ra
ID: 38997

Late to the convo but yeah, resources are far too abundent.

Auto vac modeing all the innactives or something would be nout the only way yo fix it.
Bad Wolf wrote:Tok`ra YOU ARE BANNED FROM THESE FORUMS STOP POSTING.
Ferra wrote: Oh **Filtered** a wild tokra
Ferra wrote:your brutally honest and morally sound
Support wrote:I still find myself occasionally just .. glibly concluding that I'm talking to one of the (if not the) biggest trolls of SGW. :P

Return to “StarGateWars General”