For the discussion of sports. Moo?
Rodwolf
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: System Lord
ID: 1920808
Alternate name(s): *Het Licht Van Weleer - ID 1992112

Re: Uefa Euro 2012.

Clarkey wrote:Dumb England, such a **Filtered** team.

Told ya
Meh...
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Rodwolf wrote:
Clarkey wrote:Dumb England, such a **Filtered** team.

Told ya

Deep down I knew myself, I don't know why I bother to have faith in the England team.
Image ImageImageImage
Dmonix
Count Duckula
Race: Scouse
ID: 21000

England don't have what it takes to win a competition and won't for a long time in my opinion.

As a huge fan of the Premier League I can see why it doesn't work, this is of course my opinion from my observations.

The main problem in English football is the media. The rivalries of clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United tend to span back well over 100 years (In this particular case it spans back to before either city had a football team) and the rivalry is not easily forgotten.

The media pushes the rivalries constantly telling the Wayne Rooney's and Steven Gerrard's that they much hate each other for most of the year with the Premier League taking place and these players have reached the point where they don't like each other just because of the team rivalry.

The media then turns around for about a week leading up to an international fixture and starts putting emphasis on who should be picked for the national line up and what the optimum attacking strategy would be expecting players and supporters to drop the club level of the game in a heartbeat.

The players don't want to play together because of their personal rivalries against each others as well as the clubs rivalries.

After a game where England lose the media criticise the team for not gelling and that doesn't go to boosting the team spirit.

Of course the media isn't completely to blame, club rivalries exist world wide it's just English players don't seem to be able to put their club egos aside for long enough to play together but then you get an example like the Spanish team in the world cup. Cassillas managing to throw away his Real Madrid persona and orchestrate Carlos Puyol and Gerard Pique as one of the top defences in the world.

So in short, the British media need to get themselves something new to dig into and allow the English team to try put aside rivalries and attempt to actually become a team.

Spoiler
Kikaz wrote:Thanks to:
MaYHeM - You guys were the closest thing I've found to family in this game, thanks for giving me a chance and eventually being crazy enough to vote me onto your high council and eventually let me lead you for several months. I had a blast with you guys.
KnowLedge
Forum Elite
Race: Lord of all Daimon
ID: 0

the winners of this years world cups were spain, germany, italy, france.. Each of these have their own club revelries.. Perhaps england just doesn't have talent :)

italian clubs are even older then English clubs.. so technically there should be more enemies within teams.. yet they do fine.

imo, world teams are equal in rankings.. the important thing is who is leading them.. ie. Ballack for germany, zedan for France.. and also the menages

if anything, the EPL helps bring new talent to the game
ask me anything, i shell provide you free knowledge

Untrained Units Sold : 1245 Million UU

Am I a Good trader??
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=114491
HellGirl is my **Filtered**!
Dmonix
Count Duckula
Race: Scouse
ID: 21000

KnowLedge wrote:the winners of this years world cups were spain, germany, italy, france.. Each of these have their own club revelries.. Perhaps england just doesn't have talent :)

italian clubs are even older then English clubs.. so technically there should be more enemies within teams.. yet they do fine.

imo, world teams are equal in rankings.. the important thing is who is leading them.. ie. Ballack for germany, zedan for France.. and also the menages

Yes each of those nations has their own club system and club rivalries but the media in those nations aren't pushing it in the face of even the newest fan, you probably find that the big rivalries in those nations are pushed by families who have supported their home team for generations.

As far as English talent is concerned they have some of the top players in the world except for a dominant striker or strike partnership, when you think of English goal scorers you think of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard who are midfielders.

Spoiler
Kikaz wrote:Thanks to:
MaYHeM - You guys were the closest thing I've found to family in this game, thanks for giving me a chance and eventually being crazy enough to vote me onto your high council and eventually let me lead you for several months. I had a blast with you guys.
Cole
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Legendary Apophis, Apophis The Great, Legendary

Dmonix wrote:
KnowLedge wrote:the winners of this years world cups were spain, germany, italy, france.. Each of these have their own club revelries.. Perhaps england just doesn't have talent :)

Yes each of those nations has their own club system and club rivalries but the media in those nations aren't pushing it in the face of even the newest fan, you probably find that the big rivalries in those nations are pushed by families who have supported their home team for generations.

As far as English talent is concerned they have some of the top players in the world except for a dominant striker or strike partnership, when you think of English goal scorers you think of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard who are midfielders.

Oh believe me the medias do their part in the rivalry between Paris Saint Germain vs Olympique Marseille...and on a smaller scale Saint Etienne vs Olympique Lyon.

Paris Saint Germain ftw 8-[
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

[spoiler]
Legendary Apophis wrote:
Maddog wrote:Group A
Germany
Turkey
Belgium
Kazakhstan
Azerbaijan

Group B
Russia
Slovakia
Ireland
Macedonia
Armenia
Andorra

Group C
Italy
Serbia
N.Ireland
Slovenia
Estonia
Faroe Is.

Group D
France
Romania
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Belarus
Albania
Luxembourg

Group E
Netherlands
Sweden
Finland
Hungary
Moldova
San Marino

Group F
Croatia
Greece
Israel
Latvia
Georgia
Malta

Group G
England
Switzerland
Bulgaria
Wales
Montenegro

Group H
Portugal
Denmark
Norway
Cyprus
Iceland

Group I
Spain
Czech Republic
Scotland
Lithuania
Liechtenstein

Anyone got an opinion?
as an Irish fan, i'm quietly confident about our group, but some interesting fixtures there.

In dark blue who shall qualify first in group, light blue, as second (not sure for few groups).

PS: where the hell is Austria? :?
[/spoiler]
Group A: almost right
Group B: almost right (Slovakia 4th and Armenia 3rd)
Group C: half wrong (Estonia second)
Group D: half wrong (Bosnia second)
Group E: right
Group F: half wrong (interverted Croatia/Greece)
Group G: mostly wrong :(
Group H: half wrong (interverted Portugal/Denmark)
Group I: right

Euro 2012 groups:

Group A
Poland, Greece, Russia and the Czech Republic.

Group B
Netherlands, Denmark, Germany and Portugal.

Group C
Spain, Italy, Ireland and Croatia.

Group D
Ukraine, Sweden, France and England.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/index.html
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Legendary Apophis wrote:Euro 2012 groups:

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Prediction of Winners in Red, Seconds in Orange.
Although it would not surprise me if Ukraine and Poland would .. benefit .. from certain benefits bestowed upon the 'host countries'. Uh-huh. Wink wink, nudge nudge.
Ron Burgandy
Forum Expert
Alliance: FS
Race: San Deiagans
ID: 96625

Juliette wrote:

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Although it would not surprise me if Ukraine and Poland would .. benefit .. from certain benefits bestowed upon the 'host countries'. Uh-huh. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

I think your wrong with Ireland there, weve beaten both italy and croatia in recent years. wouldnt be a shock for us to come 2nd in the group
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Juliette wrote:

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

I hope your prediction for second rank for Group D will be wrong. :-k
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Rocky
Tollan
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Italian Stallion

that first group is such a joke,

Group A

then followed by the strongest group with world ranked 2 and 3 in the same group, very intelligent, you always see roger federer play nadal in the first round too don't you ](*,)

Group B

followed by two more even/weakish groups with only spain being a contender really, out of those 8 teams.

Group C

Group D
TL vs mH
ImageImage
TL vs DDE
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
TL vs mH + DDE
ImageImageImageImage
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

I quite like the idea of a final between the Netherland and Germany. ;)
Rocky
Tollan
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Italian Stallion

Juliette wrote:I quite like the idea of a final between the Netherland and Germany. ;)

i do too, lots of goals lots of exciting end to end football, no spain like hogging of the ball either :razz:
TL vs mH
ImageImage
TL vs DDE
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
TL vs mH + DDE
ImageImageImageImage
GrizzZzzly
Furling
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Bear
ID: 29003

Speaking of Germany - Netherlands wink wink nudge nudge. :P anyone watch that friendly? :P
Spoiler
[TL]Brdavs says:
I reckon his mum gonna get him socks and stuff
time for me to step up :P
keep the childhood rolling
you know its over when you start getting underwear for christmas
I still tear up when I remember when my childhood ended like that
poof
one year legos
next year "brdavs, you`re 23 dont you think youre a bit old for legos now"
brutal I tell you
Spoiler
Mordack wrote:Personally, I am not a huge fan of life. I am of the general opinion that, from start to finish, it's painful and miserable; and that anybody that tells you differently is either trying to have sex with you or sell or you something.

Similarly, I believe that people in general are inherently flawed. Deep down, we are programmed to hurt one another; either physically or emotionally. People are naturally selfish and greedy; governed more by bestial urges than common sense or ethics. Society is a terrible thing, too. The more supposedly civilized we become, the more immorality and decadence become the main staple of our daily diet.

Before Lost concluded, my main flippant excuse for not killing myself was that I wanted to know how it ended. I will get back to you with a new one when I find it.
Spoiler
EPA BMMJ13 says:
:(
you should go eat
like 30 of them 32 oz steaks
Stanley says:
im stuffed right now
EPA BMMJ13 says:
store them in your cheeks for later
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

GrizzZzzly wrote:Speaking of Germany - Netherlands wink wink nudge nudge. :P anyone watch that friendly? :P
Yes. It was interesting to see how well you fared against our B-selection. :P

Return to “Sports Section”