Best UFC Fighter

For the discussion of sports. Moo?
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

Re: Best UFC Fighter

Im not sure ifthis thread is intended to be a best of all time..if so then Lidell, but the best fighter out there right now is jones.

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
Game Over
Forum Elite

1 jon jones, he just annihilated machida, rampage and rua. Hopefully he'll fight hendo next.

2 anderson silva,he finishes above gsp because he finishes fights.

3 gsp
My all time favorite fighter is dan henderson. His ko of bisping was epic
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

Lord Katsumoto wrote:1 jon jones, he just annihilated machida, rampage and rua. Hopefully he'll fight hendo next.

3 gsp

I like hendo allot also.

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
sarparto
Forum Regular

Lord Katsumoto wrote:1 jon jones, he just annihilated machida, rampage and rua. Hopefully he'll fight hendo next.

3 gsp

Henderson gave Bisping one to remember him for, lol.
Retribution
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: T.O. -- §_§ -- ™F_L™
Race: 100m
ID: 7468
Alternate name(s): §a'Kagé

sarparto wrote:

3 gsp

Henderson gave Bisping one to remember him for, lol.

That was a beautiful thing to behold. =D>

Lord Katsumoto wrote:1 jon jones, he just annihilated machida, rampage and rua.

What fights were you watching? Rua came was in that fight for awhile, but eventually, yes, he was beaten badly.

The Rampage fight was completely different. That was majorly a one-sided when you talk about who the aggressor was (Jones), but the first round was very even, and I had Rampage winning the third round (Pretty sure it was round 3, but I haven't seen the fight since it was live), with Jones easily winning round 2, and we all know what happened in round 4. :smt106

The Machida fight was very intriguing, because Lyoto easily won the first round with his technical striking and patented dodging. He obviously did his homework on Jones because he was ripping his Muay Thai defense apart. The second round was looking like the exact same thing until Bones had managed a solid punch that took just a step of Machida's bounce, and that led to the clinch work that led to that beautiful close-range elbow that completely gashed Lyoto's forehead open.

The real factor here was how the Ref stopped the fight to examine the cut, which seriously gave Jones the advantage. During the cut examination, Lyoto's body is pumping a load of blood up to that cut, and the whole time Jones is planning his next move. He obviously decided to go for the choke due to blood lose and blood-flow to the head of Machida.

The choke Bones put onto Machida restricts blood-flow to the head, but while sometimes fighters are able withstand such a submission, even one as deep as what Jones used on Machida, but due to the gash in his forehead it greatly increases the effectiveness of the maneuver.

Mentally, I think Jones is the best there is in the sport. Now that his body is finally catching up (He used to be a bit awkward in his early days), he will dominate the Light Heavyweight division for years to come, if he can first get past Hendo, and then Rashad.

Hendo obviously can take a punch, has excellent wrestling and submission defense, and has the deadliest right hand in the division. The main issue is that Jones stance lends itself to left-hand strikers, and Hendo doesn't have much of a left-hand (especially compared to his right-hand) and not much in the way of kicks.

It should make for a great fight. :smt045
Scenester wrote:Maybe Kikaz worked his magic and won, who knows...he works in mysterious ways he does...
Affirmation wrote:...[R]emember to tell everyone as the only thing MORE stupid than Sharing Stupidity is NOT sharing stupidity...
Game Over
Forum Elite

Just because fights were close doesn't mean anything. Jones finshed all of thse fights and did so in impressive fashion. Machida and rua fought twice to a decision. Rampage and machida fought to a decision. And jones finished them all. Yeah machida won round 1 versus jones. But it was not impressive. He stayed away and pecked at him. Mccarthy had to and check the cut.
Retribution
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: T.O. -- §_§ -- ™F_L™
Race: 100m
ID: 7468
Alternate name(s): §a'Kagé

Lord Katsumoto wrote:Just because fights were close doesn't mean anything. Jones finshed all of thse fights and did so in impressive fashion. Machida and rua fought twice to a decision. Rampage and machida fought to a decision. And jones finished them all. Yeah machida won round 1 versus jones. But it was not impressive. He stayed away and pecked at him. Mccarthy had to and check the cut.

The fights being close means everything. The first fight of the night, Korean Zombie vs Mark Hominick, THAT was a demolition. I'm just saying that Jonny, as impressive as he is now, he still has long ways to grow, which should be scary to the Light Heavyweight division and very exciting to everyone watching. :D

Also, just because Jones finished all the fights doesn't automatically make him better than those other fighters (He is better than all of those fighters). Fights are all about Styles, and Jon has a very unorthodox style, which is hard for people to match. Machida was the first fighter to start showing an understanding of Jon's style, which is a very big deal.

I'm not sure how you can say that the first round wasn't impressive, especially by discrediting his fighting style. Once again, fights are about styles. Not everyone is a brawler. Machida's style based around his Karate roots; Very dodgy and technical. Jon's style is Muay Thai built on a very solid Wrestling foundation.

[spoiler](Muay Thai is interesting in that it doesn't actually teach fighting techniques like most other striking styles.
This isn't the best way to put it, but just to give you an idea: It shows where to strike and the best time to strike, but how you get there is up to you. There is certain strikes in Muay Thai, but there isn't a certain form to it like other Martial Arts.
There is a "classical form" of Muay Thai, which is based on some of the original practitioners styles, but that style is picked up more by observation than actually teaching.
Jon Jones has a very unique style of Muay Thai do to his body type, including the 85 inch reach, which leads to odd striking angles, such as his [now famous] spinning back-elbow strikes.)[/spoiler]

Also, I agree that Big John was fully in his right to have the cut checked, and I think he made the right choice, but even Joe Rogain admitted "not sure why they stopped that", and the Medical officer waived off Machida almost as soon as he looked at the cut. (Which was SICK!!) :smt045
Scenester wrote:Maybe Kikaz worked his magic and won, who knows...he works in mysterious ways he does...
Affirmation wrote:...[R]emember to tell everyone as the only thing MORE stupid than Sharing Stupidity is NOT sharing stupidity...
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

I dont think the fights being close means that much in the cases mentioned...jones and rampage was close..well it was because of the tactics of jones, not because rampage was competing, he was dominated. The rua and mochida fights were close By scoring because of style and posturing, but in reality they werent close.

Deni
~LordRse~
Forum Addict
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Prophet
ID: 79075
Alternate name(s): "Bringer of Rain"

I think we are going to see a lot of Jones.. thatz a beaztt!! :D
Spoiler
Past sigs

sarparto
Forum Regular

Just watched Okami/Silva and is there a scarier fighter, when their hands are at their sides, than Anderson Silva? You see that and know he has your timing, it's over. Scary good.
Game Over
Forum Elite

I can't wait for Silva Sonnen 2. I think Silva dominates this time, but we'll see. Looking forward to Hendo's next fivht too.
nightlight
Forum Regular
Alliance: AP

The Silva Sonnen 2 fight is going to be crazy as it's in Brazil and i see a riot if Sonnen wins :smt042 (even though i thought he lost to Bisping in his last fight) i see Sonnen winning it by doing what he did last time...keeping him pinned down.....who do you guys think should get the next HW title shot as Alistair Overeem has been busted for drugs....I am going to say Mark Hunt as all the other HW have a fight that night :smt043
sarparto
Forum Regular

nightlight wrote:The Silva Sonnen 2 fight is going to be crazy as it's in Brazil and i see a riot if Sonnen wins :smt042 (even though i thought he lost to Bisping in his last fight) i see Sonnen winning it by doing what he did last time...keeping him pinned down.....who do you guys think should get the next HW title shot as Alistair Overeem has been busted for drugs....I am going to say Mark Hunt as all the other HW have a fight that night :smt043

I thought Bisping won, too. If Sonnen doesn't take ped's, and Silva's healthy, I'll take Silva. Don't know what his record is in rematches, but I imagine it's pretty good.
Game Over
Forum Elite

I love mark hunt, but he hasn't beat any top fighters yet. If it's a matter of he's the only guy, then yeah, but lots of guys still ahead of him in the pecking order.
Game Over
Forum Elite

Just saw hendo vs shogun. What a fight! Looking forward to Jones vs Hendo

Return to “Sports Section”