12%

Total votes: 41
RedKnight
Forum Regular
Alliance: Sigma
Race: System Lord
ID: 0

Re: Football vs "Football"

Hmm, i would say football is the "soccer" version. But i dislike it as a sport sooo much its ridiculous, Aussie rules is awesome, and prefer rugby far more to American football. Have to say im a field hockey and lacrosse guy tbh...and racketsports, ...basically anything that isnt football.
Sammael wrote: Well done, mate, need my pants lowered thanks ;)
sarparto
Forum Regular

I like soccer, but prefer football. Maybe I missed the point of this topic, or maybe the fact I call soccer soccer is the point. On the base of it, football makes more sense for soccer, but the US already had football and generally hate's soccer. Why waste a great sports name on a sport we typically find boring?
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

sarparto wrote:I like soccer, but prefer football. Maybe I missed the point of this topic, or maybe the fact I call soccer soccer is the point. On the base of it, football makes more sense for soccer, but the US already had football and generally hate's soccer. Why waste a great sports name on a sport we typically find boring?

Because American Football, unlike "UK Football", isn't played with foot?
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Tig
Forum Newbie

Legendary Apophis wrote:
sarparto wrote:I like soccer, but prefer football. Maybe I missed the point of this topic, or maybe the fact I call soccer soccer is the point. On the base of it, football makes more sense for soccer, but the US already had football and generally hate's soccer. Why waste a great sports name on a sport we typically find boring?

Maybe because soccer is an older game than Handegg? In case you're wondering i'm using the word soccer so as not to confuse the american... Now think back and consider who was the most successful colonizer of america? You made up games to try and seem different to the Brits yet your ancestors were so unimaginative they just copied the name of the Brits favorite sport.

Oh and a game that completely stops every time the ball stops? Dear god I can't even sit through 5 minutes of the superbowl without falling asleep!
Please read your post back to yourself and ponder why the rest of the world considers american's to be ignorant and stupid.
Dmonix
Count Duckula
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Scouse
ID: 21000

SuperGuy wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:

Maybe because soccer is an older game than Handegg? In case you're wondering i'm using the word soccer so as not to confuse the american... Now think back and consider who was the most successful colonizer of america? You made up games to try and seem different to the Brits yet your ancestors were so unimaginative they just copied the name of the Brits favorite sport.

Why stop at sports? Just go with names of towns/cities...

New York - Named after York in England
New Orleans - I'm assuming nothing to do with Orleans in France?
New Jersey - No clue
New Hampshire - This one isn't brain science
New Mexico - Because regular Mexico will never find out :-$

Fill in some more as your homework

Football is the UK form, just because one country in the world has a problem with calling it by it's proper name doesn't mean we should doubt ourselves.

Spoiler
Kikaz wrote:Thanks to:
MaYHeM - You guys were the closest thing I've found to family in this game, thanks for giving me a chance and eventually being crazy enough to vote me onto your high council and eventually let me lead you for several months. I had a blast with you guys.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

SuperGuy wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:

Oh and a game that completely stops every time the ball stops? Dear god I can't even sit through 5 minutes of the superbowl without falling asleep!
Please read your post back to yourself and ponder why the rest of the world considers american's to be ignorant and stupid.

Who the heck are you talking to? :smt107 Me or sarparto? :-k

1. I am not American
2. I don't consider handegg to be football
3. I consider football what the US calls "soccer"
4. I made this thread to see how many would disagree with fact that "soccer"=football
5. Cristiano Ronaldo, Robin van Persie, Cesc Fabregas and Florent Malouda are footballers.

:smt112 8)
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
Z E R O
Forum Addict
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1918344
Alternate name(s): Hymir

I'm north american, my country sucks at football, and people around me generally call it soccer, but I still think of it as football.. what an appropriate name for a game played with the feet.

To differentiate between football and american football I add the "American" bit to the start.

Canadian football is better than American football anyways :D:D. (not really)
Z E R O - Jötunheim - 1907332 - UnKnown of the TOLAH
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

I don't understand why the US don't like football, especially their national team (patriotism). The US team represents the US in worldwide competition (world cup) defending the US colors, what more needed for the patriots that Americans are?
Handegg football doesn't even have as far as I know a real worldwide competition, so it's another one of these mysteries to me...
Spoiler

Spoiler
sarparto
Forum Regular

Legendary Apophis wrote:I don't understand why the US don't like football, especially their national team (patriotism). The US team represents the US in worldwide competition (world cup) defending the US colors, what more needed for the patriots that Americans are?
Handegg football doesn't even have as far as I know a real worldwide competition, so it's another one of these mysteries to me...

I guess I'll take a stab at this...

The US doesn't like "football" because it's slow, with moments of excitement, and we totally suck at it. Yes we get behind our national team, but as soon as they're out, our interest is out of whatever competition is going on, and let's be honest. The US is usually out pretty darn early; and, American's like sports where we have a chance to win and we'll never have a chance to win at "football."

I happen to enjoy "football," but my roommate doesn't. That doesn't mean that when I show him highlights of the premier league he doesn't enjoy seeing amazing goals, or incredible saves, but that's about it. When there's a World Cup going on; I am able to get him to watch the whole game with me, if the US is playing, but as soon as they're done, he's done.

American's enjoy football because we enjoy the violence, understand the rules, have an idea of what's going on, and understand why there's down time in between play's. There's no passing between defenders, you get the ball and you attack, then take time in between play's to lineup in the new formation and try something else.

(I tried to make that grammatically accurate, but at a certain point just decided **Filtered** it y'all will figure it out. :-D )
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

sarparto wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:I don't understand why the US don't like football, especially their national team (patriotism). The US team represents the US in worldwide competition (world cup) defending the US colors, what more needed for the patriots that Americans are?

The US doesn't like "football" because it's slow, with moments of excitement, and we totally suck at it. Yes we get behind our national team, but as soon as they're out, our interest is out of whatever competition is going on, and let's be honest. The US is usually out pretty darn early; and, American's like sports where we have a chance to win and we'll never have a chance to win at "football."

I happen to enjoy "football," but my roommate doesn't. That doesn't mean that when I show him highlights of the premier league he doesn't enjoy seeing amazing goals, or incredible saves, but that's about it. When there's a World Cup going on; I am able to get him to watch the whole game with me, if the US is playing, but as soon as they're done, he's done.

American's enjoy football because we enjoy the violence, understand the rules, have an idea of what's going on, and understand why there's down time in between play's. There's no passing between defenders, you get the ball and you attack, then take time in between play's to lineup in the new formation and try something else.

(I tried to make that grammatically accurate, but at a certain point just decided **Filtered** it y'all will figure it out. :-D )

Two things I noticed though:
1. I (and many others) noticed that "AFL" matches happen to stop almost every minute (watched few superbowl related matchs in past myself). Sure in football referee can stop the game and you can even get yellow/red card if the fool was bad enough, but I noticed in AFL that the game stops way too often, compared to let's say, rugby, which is more similar to AFL than football is. It surprises me considering this, that people say english football is boring, as it doesn't stop *that* often.
2. Indeed the US don't really go far in world cup and the likes (round of 16, but they went as far as quarter finals if not mistaken eight years ago to lose against Germany 1-0), but as I said, for AFL, there doesn't seem to be equivalent of a world cup. So I don't think your national team (if there's even one) of AFL can compete with competitive world nations, unlike football, baseball, basketball...
Spoiler

Spoiler
sarparto
Forum Regular

Legendary Apophis wrote:
sarparto wrote:

Two things I noticed though:
1. I (and many others) noticed that "AFL" matches happen to stop almost every minute (watched few superbowl related matchs in past myself). Sure in football referee can stop the game and you can even get yellow/red card if the fool was bad enough, but I noticed in AFL that the game stops way too often, compared to let's say, rugby, which is more similar to AFL than football is. It surprises me considering this, that people say english football is boring, as it doesn't stop *that* often.
2. Indeed the US don't really go far in world cup and the likes (round of 16, but they went as far as quarter finals if not mistaken eight years ago to lose against Germany 1-0), but as I said, for AFL, there doesn't seem to be equivalent of a world cup. So I don't think your national team (if there's even one) of AFL can compete with competitive world nations, unlike football, baseball, basketball...

1. Most American's don't understand the rule's of Rugby, and aren't interested to learn them. English football may not come to a complete stop, as much as american football, but you can't really sit there and tell me they're constantly attacking. If they were constantly attacking no one would make it to halftime! Instead they probe each other's defense's.

2. It was 12 years ago. 8 years ago our coach singled out a Left midfielder as our best player, switched him to Right midfielder, then complained about how he got nothing from him. We didn't make it out of the group stage of the World Cup. American football's the preffered sport in America. We love the violence, athletecism, and understand what's going on. It doesn't matter that there's no national team because it's America's sport. American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, MMA, then maybe Soccer.

3. Forgot to mention this in the previous post, but American's hate Flopping/Dives too. That's not to say it doesn't happen in our football, i.e. Cal/Oregon last year, but people despise it when it happens. In all sports people flop to get an advantage, but only in soccer have I seen the same player get carried off the field on three seperate occassions, on a stretcher, only to come jogging back in as soon as he reaches the sidelines.
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... n_football

We dont have to understand the rules of Rugby, we dont play it. Ya'll think NFL style is puss ball because of the helmets and the pads..well I do not see any soocer(footie players) or Rugby players that are like...I dunno..6'6 and weight 240-300lbs and have world class sprinter speed combined with a bad attitude and intent to hurt the one thier after..(notice I excluded the whiney tiny lil **Filtered** that are like, Defensive backs and mostly receivers although receivers now are huge). Its 3 entirely different games although American football was derived from Aussie Rugby, which is cool..soccer is for...well when a player gets head butted in the chest and flops down writhing in agony in front of billions..LOL, you can have that **Filtered** :smt043

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Jedi~Tank wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

We dont have to understand the rules of Rugby, we dont play it. Ya'll think NFL style is puss ball because of the helmets and the pads..well I do not see any soocer(footie players) or Rugby players that are like...I dunno..6'6 and weight 240-300lbs and have world class sprinter speed combined with a bad attitude and intent to hurt the one thier after..(notice I excluded the whiney tiny lil **Filtered** that are like, Defensive backs and mostly receivers although receivers now are huge). Its 3 entirely different games although American football was derived from Aussie Rugby, which is cool..soccer is for...well when a player gets head butted in the chest and flops down writhing in agony in front of billions..LOL, you can have that **Filtered** :smt043

My uncle who has some rugby player friends told me about a match where american "football" players had to play without the helmets and pads against rugby players for a cross sports match. The result was the american "football" team was decimated, unable to adapt style of playing without protection. I've heard similar stories here and there about cross sports matchs where the american "football" players were filling the bench due to injuries as they didn't adapt their playstyle due to being too used to play with protections.

No comment for the last bit (as IF football could be summed up like this :smt043 :roll: ), I can reply back that american "football" stops every minute, whereas neither football nor rugby do. It was really annoying to see these players stop every minute after a whistle from referees. <_<
Spoiler

Spoiler
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

Legendary Apophis wrote:
Jedi~Tank wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

My uncle who has some rugby player friends told me about a match where american "football" players had to play without the helmets and pads against rugby players for a cross sports match. The result was the american "football" team was decimated, unable to adapt style of playing without protection. I've heard similar stories here and there about cross sports matchs where the american "football" players were filling the bench due to injuries as they didn't adapt their playstyle due to being too used to play with protections.

No comment for the last bit (as IF football could be summed up like this :smt043 :roll: ), I can reply back that american "football" stops every minute, whereas neither football nor rugby do. It was really annoying to see these players stop every minute after a whistle from referees. <_<

You can talk smack down on it all you want, try it ;)

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
RoKeT
Forum Zombie
Race: The King Jaffa

Dallas Cowboys!
Ex Mod
Looking for an Account?
Spoiler
I can find you one...
21 Accounts sold to Date
Spoiler