Gods in Stargate.

For the RolePlaying of the various races found in GateWars.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Gods in Stargate.

In Stargate SG-1, SG1 says Goa'ulds aren't gods despite their claims, they also say ascended beings, despite all their powers, aren't gods either.
So, in your opinion, what is according to them/their view of the matter, a god?
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

Re: Gods in Stargate.

A God is what you believe it to be. It exists as a God because it exists as such in your mind. But because it exists only in your mind and not outside of it, it cannot possibly be a God for its powers are yours and it stems from you.
If your Gods powers come from you, does that not make you God?
We are all masters of our own reality. What is real and what is not? What is God and what is not? What are you and what are you not?
Existence is imagination. As are Gods

OOC:
I would say to them God is the creator of the universe
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Man Called Jim wrote:A God is what you believe it to be. It exists as a God because it exists as such in your mind. But because it exists only in your mind and not outside of it, it cannot possibly be a God for its powers are yours and it stems from you.
If your Gods powers come from you, does that not make you God?
We are all masters of our own reality. What is real and what is not? What is God and what is not? What are you and what are you not?
Existence is imagination. As are Gods

OOC:
I would say to them God is the creator of the universe

Don't forget that early believers in God saw a way or another a show of its existence. It's not some "mind fantasy" that caused them to believe in it.

Obviously @ italic part, but I meant what makes a god a god and what doesn't. (wouldn't God be the "ultimate ascended being" for all they can know?)
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

we would say it is not really definable...

the power and presence such a being would have, is not something those on a plane as low as the mortal plane would ever comprehend...

to some degree, a goa'uld could be a god for some people, at least with power comparison... to a stone age society, someone capable of intergalactic travel, would be with a power comparison divine... but when compared to an ascended being, that one is almost powerless...

so we would say that a god either is or isnt. mortal languages cannot express the concept properly...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
martin the great
Forum Expert
Race: angryrace
ID: 1974745
Location: searching for ancient technology in the Pegasus galaxy

ss, omnipotence is crap and no being has it or ever will have it
as z said, gods are beings who have powers and abilities that we cant comprehend and therefor as our knowlege of the universe increases the powers of our so called gods will
why do you think gods on earth have more power now than they used to?
ancient cultures could have upwards of a dozen gods and neither could do everything at once
compare that to the newer deities who either have all the power or share it between a 1-3 beings
martin's posts do not represent his views and should not thought of as such
if you have an issue with one of martin's posts then please call 0800-2215-9484-48
this is here to ensure i dont get sued
many thanks to Jin for the sig :)
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Who needs Gods anyway?
I remember what it was like the first time..
Wait, we're not talking about that.

Riiight, so anyway.
Who needs Gods. All they do is hoard power, and just when you think you're bonding, they go and stab you in the back by creating some inferior race and giving them all the leniency in the world. What the **Filtered** is up with that?

+10 rep for recognition.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Juliette wrote:Who needs Gods anyway?

Riiight, so anyway.
Who needs Gods. All they do is hoard power, and just when you think you're bonding, they go and stab you in the back by creating some inferior race and giving them all the leniency in the world. What the **Filtered** is up with that?

+10 rep for recognition.

I am slighty confused about second part of your post (are you talking as Universe and refering to humans or..?)?
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Legendary Apophis wrote:

Riiight, so anyway.

+10 rep for recognition.
I am slighty confused about second part of your post (are you talking as Universe and refering to humans or..?)?
I think your rep just dropped all the way down through to the Pacific. -10^infinitas rep.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Juliette wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:

Riiight, so anyway.

+10 rep for recognition.
I think your rep just dropped all the way down through to the Pacific. -10^infinitas rep.

Fine, I will remain quiet in future, when I don't understand something, and take the misunderstanding (or what appears as one to me) as the r|ght thing regardless whether it's correct or not. :-D
Because the mixings with reality and stargate (and starwars shall I say?) view already did their ways in this thread. :-k
Last edited by Legendary Apophis on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Legendary Apophis wrote:
Juliette wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:

Riiight, so anyway.

+10 rep for recognition.

Fine, I will remain quiet in future, when I don't understand something, and take the misunderstanding (or what appears as one to me) as the r|ght thing regardless whether it's correct or not. :-D
Because the mixings with reality and stargate view already did their ways in this thread. :-k
Well now, isn't that awkward.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Who knows.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Legendary Apophis wrote:Who knows.
Stop spamming, you do that kind of stuff in the Temple.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Juliette wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:Who knows.
Stop spamming, you do that kind of stuff in the Temple.

That was an answer to your post. Quote pyramids aren't really good for forum display especially in such thread..

Anyway, I request it to be locked since uhm...well...it has to. :neutral:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

So you're agreed, that a thread like this should never have started in the first place? Commendable.

Since it was a question, and we've answered it..
QA;TC

Return to “Race General”