Moderator Pedanticalness

want to publicly say something about the current Forum Mods? The Mod setup? The Rules of the Forum? here you go...
Rienna
Really Rienna :p
Alliance: T I T α N S
Race: Tollen
ID: 91926
Alternate name(s): La Reine Du Chaos

Re: Moderator Pedanticalness

just a note: not everything is spam. a topic in discussion will digress. Just because you do not believe that a post continues on your original theme of the thread, does not mean that others feel the same way. You have had people give you real answers here, which you have brushed off with a "can everyone stop spamming" statement.

Perhaps the answers you seek really are above, in that "spam".

That's all I'm saying,
Rie.
System Lord Nephthys
Forum Irregular
Race: Goa'uld Queen
ID: 0

Rienna wrote:just a note: not everything is spam. a topic in discussion will digress. Just because you do not believe that a post continues on your original theme of the thread, does not mean that others feel the same way. You have had people give you real answers here, which you have brushed off with a "can everyone stop spamming" statement.

Perhaps the answers you seek really are above, in that "spam".

That's all I'm saying,
Rie.

I read it thoroughly, it was not - in fact I had stated that I was not seeking a change / answer.

What I was seeking was a adult conversation about the title of the thread not:
    Spelling/grammer
    Best moderator

And whilst yes threads havea natural evolution however the above things are practically nothing to do with the original topic, and are infact inapropriate for this forum. That is what I class as spam.

As is the continued discussion of this.

~Neph
So Congratulations I Have Arrived I'm Nephthys and Im Shining So Bright!
GhostyGoo wrote:If you want phone sex key 555-SAD-7685

Gò.Óº°°
Rienna

however, I was of course referring to this post. I'll quote it for you so you don't have to go back through and actually look and read your own thread.

The Xeno wrote:To provide a short answer to your post System Lord Nephthys:
System Lord Nephthys wrote:Is it correct to be able to have such a narrow view of the rules and to penalise users for something completly inocent, because a stand alone phrase could be concieved as a rule break?

If it is really innocent, then no.
But given that perception of ulterior motives are up to the mod...
You need to give specific examples, and judge each independently.

X saying "Xeno sucks" is going to be different that Y saying "Xeno sucks"
Unfortunately, looking back over the various modding styles we've tried - such a double, perception based standard, seems to be the least imperfect.

It helps of course, when the patrons remember that there is always a mod willing to here their case... you* don't need to suck it up if you think it is clear that you were wrongly charged, PM a neutral mod before you claim the majority of us are abusing our power.

*Since it was apparently unclear in another post of mine; the use of 'you' here is implying the public and not suggesting that actions have taken place. >.<

There is, I feel, a valid answer to your question. And one that I would have given as a mod yesterday, if Xeno hadn't already posted. And I don't think you'll get another answer from another mod on this subject, because Xeno posted such a well rounded answer that explains it very well. Now, after reading his post, which you must actually do, if you have further questions you can post them and I'm sure that either the current moderation team, or someone from the last moderation team, will get back to you in a timely fashion.

However, if you continue to deem everything posted as spam, you may find people regretfully will stop posting here, and you'll never get an answer at all.

To use your words,

^--- Tru Storie!

~Rie.
System Lord Nephthys
Forum Irregular

Rienna wrote:however, I was of course referring to this post. I'll quote it for you so you don't have to go back through and actually look and read your own thread.

The Xeno wrote:To provide a short answer to your post System Lord Nephthys:
System Lord Nephthys wrote:Is it correct to be able to have such a narrow view of the rules and to penalise users for something completly inocent, because a stand alone phrase could be concieved as a rule break?

If it is really innocent, then no.
But given that perception of ulterior motives are up to the mod...
You need to give specific examples, and judge each independently.

X saying "Xeno sucks" is going to be different that Y saying "Xeno sucks"
Unfortunately, looking back over the various modding styles we've tried - such a double, perception based standard, seems to be the least imperfect.

It helps of course, when the patrons remember that there is always a mod willing to here their case... you* don't need to suck it up if you think it is clear that you were wrongly charged, PM a neutral mod before you claim the majority of us are abusing our power.

*Since it was apparently unclear in another post of mine; the use of 'you' here is implying the public and not suggesting that actions have taken place. >.<

There is, I feel, a valid answer to your question. And one that I would have given as a mod yesterday, if Xeno hadn't already posted. And I don't think you'll get another answer from another mod on this subject, because Xeno posted such a well rounded answer that explains it very well. Now, after reading his post, which you must actually do, if you have further questions you can post them and I'm sure that either the current moderation team, or someone from the last moderation team, will get back to you in a timely fashion.

However, if you continue to deem everything posted as spam, you may find people regretfully will stop posting here, and you'll never get an answer at all.

To use your words,

^--- Tru Storie!

~Rie.

Perhaps you didn't read my post:

I was looking for a discusion NOT an answer, as in my eyes their can't be a true answer because everyone is an individual and it is a completly subjective topic.

A discussion not an answer.

Then again, you have proved taht it is a subjective topic by saying that you found an answer - one that I had not nor have any intention of looking for or indeed wanting.

You also missed the point of the "Tru Storie!" thing...it has no relevance to the post contents at all and is only usually included in posts intended to be light hearted.

~Neph

Gò.Óº°°
Rienna

fine, discussion, not answer. that's what people were doing when you cut them off as spamming.

I'm done with this topic now. I was merely pointing out that you cannot expect people to post in this thread if everyone gets yelled at when they do.

Go back to waiting for this discussion. You also failed to see my own point. I showed you Xeno's post and said that those whom you want this discussion with won't post any more on it due to the fact that Xeno already posted, and that if you were to post further questions someone was sure to respond.

Which you then ignored and singled out that I used the word "answer" instead of "discussion". So who is the Pendantical one now?

Don't point figures if you're guilty of it yourself.

~Rie.
System Lord Nephthys
Forum Irregular

Rienna wrote:fine, discussion, not answer. that's what people were doing when you cut them off as spamming.

I'm done with this topic now. I was merely pointing out that you cannot expect people to post in this thread if everyone gets yelled at when they do.

Go back to waiting for this discussion. You also failed to see my own point. I showed you Xeno's post and said that those whom you want this discussion with won't post any more on it due to the fact that Xeno already posted, and that if you were to post further questions someone was sure to respond.

Which you then ignored and singled out that I used the word "answer" instead of "discussion". So who is the Pendantical one now?

Don't point figures if you're guilty of it yourself.

~Rie.

jreider014 wrote:I think there are two types of spammers, type A, those who stay in the temple and try and have fun. And type B, those who leave there safe guard and come spam everything. Tok`ra deserves to be ranked one in type B. Although I think the poll was more directed to the type A's.

Zeratul wrote:nephthys, if you want to know why antius says spacey is one of the best mods out there, you can:
1. check these threads for who is voted for the most: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=87643
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=87644

2. ask in the temple of moose

yup because those posts have everything to do with the topic I posted....

By the way - I never said Xeno was spamming (please find the post where I did and I'll apologise) The post directly below his was not directed at him (nor would it seem that way if he was not spamming...However due to the nature of forums you cannot input posts directly after the ones your talking about, and it would have been ridiculous to quote every post that was completly off topic.

I ignored nothing, but the fact is Answer and Discussion are two complelty different words, if your telling me that there is an answer somewhere and I have just stated that I was looking for a discussion, what am I meant to think? I don't see how else the word answer could be interpreted.

And while yes I may be slightly pedantic I cannot force those views onto others or punish them for doing something I don't like - unlike a moderator (which is the point of this thread)

But seeing as your entire purpose for being here is to try and prove who is right and wrong - without regard for the actual topic - perhaps it is best that you are not a moderator anymore, as that is exactly what I'm talking about.

~Neph

Gò.Óº°°
The Xeno
n00b prophet

Necromancy for me, I have had a busy couple of days. >.<

SLN wrote:I ignored nothing, but the fact is Answer and Discussion are two complelty different words

Great, so if you are looking for a discussion - why did you ignore my post?
Because it was an answer, a correct portrayal of what is? If so, wonderful! I have saved you and several others a great deal of typing by granting you a small portion of my wisdom. This thread can now be locked.

If it is not a accurate portrayal e.g. if it is an opinion, tell me why, offer your opinions on the matter. Meh, To suggest that we can't come to a better understanding of what is going down because it is 'subjective' really undercuts the entire point of a discussion thread. If you felt we could reach no conclusion, why bother posting?

Discussion wrote: 1. Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
2. A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition.

I have presented my views, counter them or concede them.
Discussions don't go like this:
Xeno: "A"
SLN: "B"
Spacey: "C"
n00b: "D"

That is called a sound off, and it doesn't get us anywhere - it is in fact, the essence of spam.

Discussion should be
Xeno: "A"
SLN: "A - B + C = Y"
Xeno: "Y x 4% = I"
Spacey: "I*2 + 7 = Z"

I've done my part, now,
It takes two to tango.
thaltek
Spamity Spam In A Can

why?

Return to “Forum & Mod Feedback”