Discussion on Section 5b "Language"

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Discussion on Section 5b "Language"

Empy wrote:Your change would allow Moderators to not warn people who mask if it was an "accident" or in jest, or something like that. If it was accident, they still deserve a Board Warning because it doesn't matter if they didn't know, they should have. If it was in jest, it still doesn't matter because whether or not it was for the sake of humor, it's still against the rules.
True.
Empy wrote:As I said, Moderators use their best discretion to decide whether or not the rule applies to a situation. That is all that is required in the case of masking, the Mod decides on their own if it was masking. After that they don't get to decide anymore, because of the nature of masking a board warning will be issued 100% of the time.
Can a moderator who is clearly not proficient in the full extent of the English language with all its quirks and oddities be expected to have a proper 'discretion' in the matter, though? To illustrate, not everyone will get the 'fascinate' joke posted earlier, where the word is used to say 'fasten eight'. Another example; "Eye right properly." Aside from the obvious fact that it is not written as properly as it claims, there is a can of worms to be opened.
Sal from Johnny Dangerously: "You farging, corksocking, somanumbatchin' ice-hole!" (I would warn for this one, by the way.)

If someone uses 'obscene gerund' in their speech, which would be 'expert level masking', do they get a warning?

Of course, any direct violation is just that, a direct violation. :) Language is far more subtle than is currently represented though, and the linguist in me feels slighted. ;)
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Eärendil wrote:If there was an issue with misunderstanding something that resulted in a warning, there is a coc for that along with the oms.
Thread is about a principle. Overview required, not a specific case study. (Not a lawsuit, but a civil discussion of law.)
Nice word joke there, by the way. Very subtle. ;)
GhostyGoo
Forum Addict
Alliance: 5PYM45T3R
Race: HE WHO KEEPS ME HERE
ID: 0
Location: ZOOMING THROUGH YOUR EGO AT A ZILLION MILES AN HOUR

Honours and Awards

Fine. I'm done. I see no reason to waste anyone's time any further. It is pointless. Your Rules are imbalanced and will cause strife. A very very simple solution could have been applied if certain folk could swallow pride and open ears.

Thanks to everyone who has bothered to understand how the rule is unjust, i very much appreciate it, and i would simply advise those of you who feel the rule is fine to tread very very carefully because, sooner or later, a Moderator is going to have to be publically punished. I can see it coming, trust me, i've been around a great many forums for a very long time and this one is no different to any other, fundamentally.

Close if you wish, i no longer care to attempt to educate philistines.
-Goo™
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
GhostyGoo wrote:Yesno.
the3rdlibra wrote:if it's a silly turnip head competition you want, i'm going to decline as i think i may have met my match in you vegetable brains.
Cersei Lannister wrote:Debasing? I am not the one drawing crazy pictures of force fielded stick figures.
Energise
Magical Monkeys & Grapefruit Migration:|:Hallowed are the Gò.Ó'ri™ **fixed**
xDaku
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity - leader
ID: 27858

Yes, I'm sure your superior knowledge of forum workings due to your 'experience' with them allow for an accurate forecast for this one. :roll:

Cmon now, doomsday scenarios aside, except for people desperate to try to stand on a higher pedestal there hasn't been too much of an issue with the rule and/or its punishment.

I can think of a handful of people who've tried to claim that "shi*" meant something else, and I've laughed at them. I can think of a few people who've 'trolled' the system, which is unfortunately possible with any set of rules and guidelines, but it's not going to be the do all be all death of the forum scenario.

I'll invent a word for that idea - cavemanship :roll:
Spoiler
Easy^ wrote: I am sorry if my shadow is too awesome for you to stand in.
E
MEZZANINE wrote:
Oooo I like higher math

E=Mc2*SGW = ( ( U = A*S*S ) + ( JT + $$$ + E*G*O ) ) + ( FS = AWESOME + Infinity ). Therefor FS -> DDE :D
Yyith wrote:Yyith says:
thats why women have small feet
get closer to the sink
Spoiler
Mezzanine wrote:Picture a hot summers day, sitting on the grass ( maybe smoking it too lol ), sun shining, cool breeze, cold beer, beautiful lady, perfect Serenity

Now picture your worst nightmare, the grass turned into trenches of mud, rain drenching you, ice winds, down to rations, surrounded by death and destruction

Turning your dreams into nightmares is what we do, heed this warning and pass it on, else you will forget your serenity forever

Blood in 2012 - Updated 1st Sep, 2012:
Spoiler
Attack Soldiers killed: 32,934,122
Defence Soldiers killed: 17,810,494
Attack Supers killed: 777,708,800
Defence Supers killed: 1,004,092,379
Spy Killers killed: 301,726,911
Spies Killed: 1,223,520,310
Total: 3,357,793,016

Raiders lost: 5,324,560
Guards lost: 14,223,773
Super Soldiers lost: 907,918,161
Super Guards lost: 654,870,558
Undercover Agents lost: 411,831,764
Assassin lost: 269,766,078
Total: 2,263,934,894
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

:-k

I once decided it would be funny to input a French word into a sentence which fundamentally sounded rude in the English language.

After much moaning it was revoked but ONLY after I quit moaning and digressed into the correct channels. There is leniency in most of the mods. Perhaps ignorance to the rules is suiting at time but asking for further leniency openly to the rest of the community doesn't always work. The mods are a force and work as a pack.

I guess we make this forum what it is. Goo, I understand what you are trying to achieve but take this one on the chin and next time talk to Haz and Empy direct.
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?

I think this is sig worthy in fact.
:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

GhostyGoo wrote:Fine. I'm done. I see no reason to waste anyone's time any further. It is pointless. Your Rules are imbalanced and will cause strife. A very very simple solution could have been applied if certain folk could swallow pride and open ears.

Thanks to everyone who has bothered to understand how the rule is unjust, i very much appreciate it, and i would simply advise those of you who feel the rule is fine to tread very very carefully because, sooner or later, a Moderator is going to have to be publically punished. I can see it coming, trust me, i've been around a great many forums for a very long time and this one is no different to any other, fundamentally.

-Goo™
Same to you buddy.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

GhostyGoo wrote:Fine. I'm done. I see no reason to waste anyone's time any further. It is pointless. Your Rules are imbalanced and will cause strife. A very very simple solution could have been applied if certain folk could swallow pride and open ears.

-Goo™

A Moderator publicly punished? What do you mean by that? Punished by who? Whether the rules are imbalanced and unjust doesn't mean the moderator is at fault for handing out warnings based on what the rules specify. Therefore I see no reason why a Moderator would get publicly punished. Please dont attempt to scaremonger staff.
Image ImageImageImage

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”