Section 3b - User Accounts

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Section 3b - User Accounts

Section 3: User accounts

b. Multiple accounts.

Warnings also carry over to other accounts; If you receive a warning on one account, it will count towards your other accounts as well.

Consequence:
Evading a forum ban through the use of multiple accounts is against the rules. Upon the first attempt at ban evasion the ban on the main account will be reset to 2 weeks. The multi account used will also be banned for 4 weeks. Upon the second and any subsequent attempts at ban evasion the ban on the main account will be reset to 2 weeks, and 1 Board Warning will be issued. The multi account used will also be permabanned.

I have edited the guidance to highlight the part in question, also in italics. The consequence remains as it is.

My question to you is, how are multiple accounts policed in regards to warning points. Simply put, I would imagine that you do not check the IP of a new user for other accounts when they recieve a warning. Unless of course it's damn obvious.

For example. If I were to create a new account and was given a warning after a couple of months, would you compare other accounts to the IP?

My next is more of a clarification if you recieve 3 warning points on 3 different accounts, each would get a warning. Giving you a contribution of a temporary ban. So the question therefore is, which gets banned and do the others get temporary banned as well or do they get permabanned?

Summary

How are mulitple accounts policed?
    Do you check IPs for accounts and number of warnings?
    When you have more then 2 accounts, which are banned?
    What is the severity of punishment?
    +The removal of "expected" multis (See Post 3)
Last edited by Field Marshall on Wed May 16, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?

I think this is sig worthy in fact.
:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Section 3b - User Accounts

When you warn for a post, you see all accounts sharing that IP.
Fun question, FM. (The above is by no means a definitive or 'official' answer, so wait for that.) ;)

One thing is certain; multies used to evade a ban (i.e. posting while main account is banned) are generally permabanned. (See "Banned Users" topic.)
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Cersei Lannister wrote:When you warn for a post, you see all accounts sharing that IP.
Fun question, FM. (The above is by no means a definitive or 'official' answer, so wait for that.) ;)

Testing the rules and offering critic BEFORE an event is never a bad thing aye?

However, I didn't expect that all accounts would be shown. I will add another question now I think about it, I will put it here and place it in the summary.

How do you judge an expected multi account that may be breaching a ban? - What I mean by this, if I was permabanned for example and then used a proxy or another computer to access the game. How would you distinguish this?

e.g

Field Marshall is banned and Field Marshall1 is created with another IP. Is this account banned without investigation?

What if Cersei Lannister is banned and then I (as an external player with no connections) create an account named Cersei Lanister. Is the account again banned without investigation. Considering of course that I have not been banned?
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

That depends on the case. It will generally be looked into.

While someone was banned a while ago, someone else (we personally don't know whom) created an account with an additional/different letter/number, which was not immediately banned. But the account was deactivated before the banned user got unbanned, so since it was known that it was not same person, it wasn't made much of an issue of. It is dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
dark lord tacoma
Forum Elite
Alliance: ROT
Race: System Lord
ID: 1991753
Alternate name(s): *~Thoth~

if a acount gets a warning do any multi acounts owned by said person get a message warning of the warning ?
as it could be possable to get warnings on a multi acount but not know about it if said acount wasnt used often ?
"Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game."
Winston Churchill
Tek wrote: Your're attempting to gain a steady footing, on a moral highground made of rice pudding.

You have started playing at 15:46:39 on 29. August 2008
Eärendil wrote:I am going to mass them all
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Dark Lord Tacoma wrote:if a acount gets a warning do any multi acounts owned by said person get a message warning of the warning ?
as it could be possable to get warnings on a multi acount but not know about it if said acount wasnt used often ?
I think you believe you get warnings really easily and often. Am I right?
One does not. There really are not that many warnings issued, and almost always people know when they break the rules (after all, we all read the rules now and then to keep up to date on how to behave on the forum). :D
dark lord tacoma
Forum Elite
Alliance: ROT
Race: System Lord
ID: 1991753
Alternate name(s): *~Thoth~

Cersei Lannister wrote: (after all, we all read the rules now and then to keep up to date on how to behave on the forum). :D
ermmm yer [spoiler]dont think ive ever read them :-$[/spoiler]

Cersei Lannister wrote:I think you believe you get warnings really easily and often. Am I right?
One does not. There really are not that many warnings issued, and almost always people know when they break the rules

tbh i was just curious as to weather all acounts owned by same person got pm's bout warnings
and didnt fancy trying it out to find out lol :-D
"Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game."
Winston Churchill
Tek wrote: Your're attempting to gain a steady footing, on a moral highground made of rice pudding.

You have started playing at 15:46:39 on 29. August 2008
Eärendil wrote:I am going to mass them all
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

SuperSaiyan wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

If one account is banned, all accounts are banned. Again, punishment is on user not account.

Again, with a bit more clarification. If I get a temporary ban, they presumably get a temporary ban. If I get a permaban, they presumably get a permanban?

I would assume as long as they are not being used for 'ban evasion' they would not get 'permabanned' as stated in the above 'consequence'?
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

SuperSaiyan wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
SuperSaiyan wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

If one account is banned, all accounts are banned. Again, punishment is on user not account.

Again, with a bit more clarification. If I get a temporary ban, they presumably get a temporary ban. If I get a permaban, they presumably get a permanban?

I don't think I can be any clearer (as I don't know any other way of putting it), you as a user get banned. It doesn't matter what account you are using, if you are using it the account will be banned. If you are permabanned and found to be using an account on this forum it will be permabanned as well.

If you are asking if all accounts are banned in one swoop at the same time the main one is. Sometimes. It depends on who does the ban/if they think of it. But if they do not and that banned user is found to be using an account to evade a ban, it will be banned according to the consequences outline in the rules.

That's absolutely perfect. Thank you for your clarification. I concur, you now cannot be any clearer.

I will now quote another rule:

c. Imitating another user.
The imitation of other users by creating a user account that is intended to deceive the community into believing you are another member of the community is not permitted.

Consequence:
The offending account will be banned and the offending users other account/s will be given one warning point.

What if an account is 'banned' are they still considered as part of this community? If no, could somebody then go on to imitate the banned user?
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

Juliette
Verified
The Queen

I smell a trap, FM. [-X
xDaku
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity - leader
ID: 27858

Oh for god's sake FM, leave the poor guy alone. :P
Spoiler
Easy^ wrote: I am sorry if my shadow is too awesome for you to stand in.
E
MEZZANINE wrote:
Oooo I like higher math

E=Mc2*SGW = ( ( U = A*S*S ) + ( JT + $$$ + E*G*O ) ) + ( FS = AWESOME + Infinity ). Therefor FS -> DDE :D
Yyith wrote:Yyith says:
thats why women have small feet
get closer to the sink
Spoiler
Mezzanine wrote:Picture a hot summers day, sitting on the grass ( maybe smoking it too lol ), sun shining, cool breeze, cold beer, beautiful lady, perfect Serenity

Now picture your worst nightmare, the grass turned into trenches of mud, rain drenching you, ice winds, down to rations, surrounded by death and destruction

Turning your dreams into nightmares is what we do, heed this warning and pass it on, else you will forget your serenity forever

Blood in 2012 - Updated 1st Sep, 2012:
Spoiler
Attack Soldiers killed: 32,934,122
Defence Soldiers killed: 17,810,494
Attack Supers killed: 777,708,800
Defence Supers killed: 1,004,092,379
Spy Killers killed: 301,726,911
Spies Killed: 1,223,520,310
Total: 3,357,793,016

Raiders lost: 5,324,560
Guards lost: 14,223,773
Super Soldiers lost: 907,918,161
Super Guards lost: 654,870,558
Undercover Agents lost: 411,831,764
Assassin lost: 269,766,078
Total: 2,263,934,894
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Field Marshall wrote:What if an account is 'banned' are they still considered as part of this community? If no, could somebody then go on to imitate the banned user?

That would be ill-adviced.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Cersei Lannister wrote:When you warn for a post, you see all accounts sharing that IP.
[-X Not necessarily. Section Mods, who do the majority of warnings do not get to see this.

In vBulletin the ACP has a simple IP search that displays all accounts associated with it, maybe this ACP has that too, which I believe it does.
Image ImageImageImage
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Clarkey wrote:
[-X Not necessarily. Section Mods, who do the majority of warnings do not get to see this.
Ah yes, I forgot.
Clarkey wrote:In vBulletin the ACP has a simple IP search that displays all accounts associated with it, maybe this ACP has that too, which I believe it does.
No. Not unless it has a mod installed to do so.. phpBB does not have it. ;)
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Cersei Lannister wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
Ah yes, I forgot.
Clarkey wrote:In vBulletin the ACP has a simple IP search that displays all accounts associated with it, maybe this ACP has that too, which I believe it does.
No. Not unless it has a mod installed to do so.. phpBB does not have it. ;)

Are you sure that when you go in to the ACP to look up a user account and choose advanced there is not a IP field you can fill in. I'm pretty sure I recall there being one when I was Admin here and on BC.
Image ImageImageImage

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”