lets talk about forum rules and mods abuse

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

Re: lets talk about forum rules and mods abuse

To be fair, if we were to go ver batum on the rules, the rules as stated may support Haz's argument. He did deviate from the normal methods of moderation.

Digression != discretion (a rule revision may be necessary here)

However, I agree with Empy on this. While the intent was good, and the suggestion was made by users within the thread, according to the rules it was not an act currently allowed on this forum. Precedent notwithstanding, given the fact that people in the past were sure to have made mistakes at one time or another.

The rules referring to discretion may have intended to mean that which of the listed options used was up to the Mod handling the issue, not that they could create a separate way of dealing with it. Users can suggest many things in regards to a thread, like locking or dumping a topic, but unless it adheres to the forum rules, like having the OP give the go-ahead for such an action, the Mod has the responsibility to inform the user(s) such an act is not possible and find an alternative solution within the rules.

Does this mean Haz is biased and is purposely acting against ROB3RT? Certainly not.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Psyko wrote:To be fair, if we were to go ver batum on the rules, the rules as stated may support Haz's argument. He did deviate from the normal methods of moderation.

However, I agree with Empy on this. While the intent was good, and the suggestion was made by users within the thread, according to the rules it was not an act currently allowed on this forum. Precedent notwithstanding, given the fact that people in the past were sure to have made mistakes at one time or another.

The rules referring to discretion may have intended to mean that which of the listed options used was up to the Mod handling the issue, not that they could create a separate way of dealing with it.

Maybe, maybe not. It could also mean that any option thought of that could help in the current circumstances, could be used. Just because an option doesnt appear within the rules, it does not mean that it is not a good idea, nor does it mean it is against the rules, instead that it could be working with the rules.

Psyko wrote:Users can suggest many things in regards to a thread, like locking or dumping a topic, but unless it adheres to the forum rules, like having the OP give the go-ahead for such an action, the Mod has the responsibility to inform the user(s) such an act is not possible and find an alternative solution within the rules.

The OP does not need to give the go-ahead. It was all still within the rules.
iv) A topic shows a tendency to be locked or needs constant moderating due to those posting in it continually not complying to the rules of the forums.

Consequence:
The topic will be locked for a cool-down period to allow posters to step away and gain composure, if serious enough then the topic will be locked permanently or for longer periods of time.

In each case of locking or moving a topic, it is up to the Moderators digression as to what to do. Once a topic is created, it belongs to the forum and the original author loses all rights of control over it.

Psyko wrote:Does this mean Haz is biased and is purposely acting against ROB3RT? Certainly not.

Thank you :D I probably should have said it sooner, but I thought it was obvious lol.
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Consequence:
The topic will be locked for a cool-down period to allow posters to step away and gain composure, if serious enough then the topic will be locked permanently or for longer periods of time.

In each case of locking or moving a topic, it is up to the Moderators digression as to what to do. Once a topic is created, it belongs to the forum and the original author loses all rights of control over it.
I thought it was obvious that the discretion part refers to the above part about locking for a period of time. Whether or not it needs a cool-down lock, and how long said lock will be if required is the discretionary part, and also whether or not it will be locked permanently. As I said, nowhere does it say new threads can be created.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Empy wrote:
Consequence:

I thought it was obvious that the discretion part refers to the above part about locking for a period of time. Whether or not it needs a cool-down lock, and how long said lock will be if required is the discretionary part, and also whether or not it will be locked permanently. As I said, nowhere does it say new threads can be created.

As mentioned before, it could be that, or it could be that in each instance of locking a topic, it is up to the moderator to decide where to go from there. Do they keep it locked? Do they clean it out and reopen it? I took a different approach, as I didn't exactly want to go through 131 pages searching for spam/insults. I locked the thread and started a new one, one that clean of spam and insults, and much easier to moderate, should it be needed. I fail to see what is so wrong with that?
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Psyko
The Irresistible

Haz wrote:
Psyko wrote:To be fair, if we were to go ver batum on the rules, the rules as stated may support Haz's argument. He did deviate from the normal methods of moderation.

The rules referring to discretion may have intended to mean that which of the listed options used was up to the Mod handling the issue, not that they could create a separate way of dealing with it.

Maybe, maybe not. It could also mean that any option thought of that could help in the current circumstances, could be used. Just because an option doesnt appear within the rules, it does not mean that it is not a good idea, nor does it mean it is against the rules, instead that it could be working with the rules.

Psyko wrote:Users can suggest many things in regards to a thread, like locking or dumping a topic, but unless it adheres to the forum rules, like having the OP give the go-ahead for such an action, the Mod has the responsibility to inform the user(s) such an act is not possible and find an alternative solution within the rules.

The OP does not need to give the go-ahead. It was all still within the rules.
iv) A topic shows a tendency to be locked or needs constant moderating due to those posting in it continually not complying to the rules of the forums.

Consequence:

Psyko wrote:Does this mean Haz is biased and is purposely acting against ROB3RT? Certainly not.

Thank you :D I probably should have said it sooner, but I thought it was obvious lol.

I got my forums confused. The other forum I mod requires OP consent. :P

As I stated, the rules may, or may not support your actions on the part of discretion.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

As I said, it says nowhere in the guidelines that Mods can re-create threads.

The discretion part refers to whether or not to lock a thread and for how long. It couldn't possibly refer to creating a new thread when that is not mentioned anywhere.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Empy wrote:As I said, it says nowhere in the guidelines that Mods can re-create threads.

It doesn't say anywhere that they can't recreate the threads either.

Empy wrote:The discretion part refers to whether or not to lock a thread and for how long. It couldn't possibly refer to creating a new thread when that is not mentioned anywhere.

That is your interpretation, not mine. It does not specifically say that a new thread could be created, but that it is up to the mods discretion as to where to go from there.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
akbar
Forum Grunt
Alliance: DDE

this is **Filtered**.... for JT and ETL to be banned from the forum is just crazy

THEY make the forum so we can fight... they are our leaders and I think they both act like leaders

if you do not like the heat LEAVE THE WAR simple... or my bud Ro3ert calls the shots simple enough
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

akbar wrote:this is **Filtered**.... for JT and ETL to be banned from the forum is just crazy

THEY make the forum so we can fight... they are our leaders and I think they both act like leaders

if you do not like the heat LEAVE THE WAR simple... or my bud Ro3ert calls the shots simple enough

JT is on a voluntary ban for 2 months (the minimum for a voluntary ban).
ETL isn't banned.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
akbar
Forum Grunt

Haz,
this forum is dead... thanks to YOU anyways... ban me big deal
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

akbar wrote:Haz,
this forum is dead... thanks to YOU anyways... ban me big deal

Who mentioned banning? All I did was give you a verbal for spam. You then responded saying it wasn't. I asked what it was. Then you posted this without responding... you could have just responded to my PM telling me what it was.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
R0B3RT
Forum Zombie
Alliance: jaded empire
Race: fighter

a moderator without rules with a button = dead forum
why player not use your topic ? close it and shut up :-$
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

R0B3RT wrote:a moderator without rules with a button = dead forum

Without rules? No, I abide by the rules. As for the dead forum, let's agree to disagree. :)

As for why players don't use the topic I created, I don't know. It seems semi-active to me. I honestly don't care if it is used or not. All I was trying to achieve was a clean slate away from the spam and insults, to give you all a chance to stay on topic.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
akbar
Forum Grunt

you broke the rules... OE is our war not yours... consider me with Ro3ert ingame bro...
R0B3RT
Forum Zombie
Alliance: jaded empire
Race: fighter

Haz wrote:
R0B3RT wrote:a moderator without rules with a button = dead forum

Without rules? No, I abide by the rules. As for the dead forum, let's agree to disagree. :)

As for why players don't use the topic I created, I don't know. It seems semi-active to me. I honestly don't care if it is used or not. All I was trying to achieve was a clean slate away from the spam and insults, to give you all a chance to stay on topic.

you have personality problem i can.t help you
the problem is nobody control moderator operate here :smt021

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”