lets talk about forum rules and mods abuse

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
R0B3RT
Forum Zombie
Alliance: jaded empire
Race: fighter
ID: 0

Re: lets talk about forum rules and mods abuse

**Filtered** off haz
why i don.t have delete account option?
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

First post in that thread is now no longer under the user account "haz".
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
R0B3RT
Forum Zombie

Zeratul wrote:First post in that thread is now no longer under the user account "haz".

ohhh after long time someone understand
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

R0B3RT wrote:
Zeratul wrote:First post in that thread is now no longer under the user account "haz".

ohhh after long time someone understand

Isn't that what we have been talking about for the last page or so? ](*,) If you had actually said that was the problem, I would have replaced my post with the original author straight away. There is not a problem with that.
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Only administrators can change post author and the act of copying a single post from a long thread is a complex thing.

We did ask earlier if you wished the author changed (second paragraph, in this post), but we could not see a clear request for that from your reply to that post.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
R0B3RT
Forum Zombie

thanks for help zeratul why not refresh the moderators after a vote with clean player From: ~Thamuz~
Sent: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:36 am
To: R0B3RT
Reply with quote Report private message Delete message
Just been reading all this mate and i totally agree with you, was one of the reasons why i sold up.
Forum staff here are all friends and stick together even if there in the wrong, if you then complain about anything it gets brushed under the carpet, even if you take things to the ombudsman they can only suggest things to the forum admins and it gets overruled and brushed under the carpet as well.
There used to be a time on these forums when forum staff were rotated, now if any mod or admin leaves they recruit within there own circle of friends and nothing changes.
best thing you can do is get lots of other players to send an email to the urgent email for the game owner, if enough players do it he's go to listen. ~T

i.m not happy to see a good player stop play this game after moderator action :(
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:As I said, it says nowhere in the guidelines that Mods can re-create threads.

It doesn't say anywhere that they can't recreate the threads either.
Doesn't say anywhere you can't delete every single post on the forums. By your logic above that's okay then too.

Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:The discretion part refers to whether or not to lock a thread and for how long. It couldn't possibly refer to creating a new thread when that is not mentioned anywhere.

That is your interpretation, not mine. It does not specifically say that a new thread could be created, but that it is up to the mods discretion as to where to go from there.
Yea, it's my interpretation, and I wrote the guidelines... and NO it doesn't say it's up the mods discretion as to whether or not to make a new thread. That's not an option.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:As I said, it says nowhere in the guidelines that Mods can re-create threads.

Doesn't say anywhere you can't delete every single post on the forums. By your logic above that's okay then too.

I did not say that. Nor would I ever say deleting posts would be OK. In the rules it doesn't say that deleting posts is OK either...

Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:The discretion part refers to whether or not to lock a thread and for how long. It couldn't possibly refer to creating a new thread when that is not mentioned anywhere.

That is your interpretation, not mine. It does not specifically say that a new thread could be created, but that it is up to the mods discretion as to where to go from there.
Yea, it's my interpretation, and I wrote the guidelines... and NO it doesn't say it's up the mods discretion as to whether or not to make a new thread. That's not an option.

Your intrepretation is not the only one of value here. Just because you have happened to edit the rule thread a few times, that does not mean that your interpretation is automatically the correct one.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Empy
Derper

Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:

I did not say that. Nor would I ever say deleting posts would be OK. In the rules it doesn't say that deleting posts is OK either...
Okay so then we agree. You're wrong because your logic is flawed.

Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:

Your intrepretation is not the only one of value here. Just because you have happened to edit the rule thread a few times, that does not mean that your interpretation is automatically the correct one.
We had a mis-communication here I thought you quoted the Moderator Rule Enforcement Guidelines and not the Forum Guidelines. No I didn't write the Forum Guidelines except for some edits you're right.

If you refer to the MREG (just made that acronym up now) then it will outline the proper procedure to take regarding the particular rule you quoted, and if it says that a thread should be locked and recreated by a Mod then I'll shoot myself straight in the foot. I can't remember what it says.

The whole point of the MREG is so that there are no "different interpretations" which is exactly the debate we're having now. They tell you how the rules are to be interpreted and how to handle instances of rule breaking (in general cases). So in this case you either followed them (and were right in the action you took) or didn't follow them (and were wrong in the action you took).

Spoiler
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:

It is your own logic that is flawed. Nowhere did I state that deleting posts is ok, yet you created a parallel between that, and recreating a war thread instead of keeping said thread closed for days while it is cleaned out and warnings given.

Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:

I didn't happen to edit it a few times, I wrote all of it. And unless someone with a greater understanding of the English language can prove me wrong, as I've said, since it says nowhere in the Guidelines that a Mod can lock a thread and create a new one the "discretion" part of the guidelines cannot possibly refer to that. It refers whether or not a thread should be cooldown locked, and for how long (this is because the guidelines mention that as the correct course of action).

OK which thread are we talking about? The rule thread? Because that is what I am basing this all off... the one which has been created by past admins, and edited since by the current administration. The rule thread which every user is to abide by. It says nowhere in the rule thread that you can, and it says nowhere in the rule thread that you can't. So it is up to a moderators discretion. I would have thought this would be a reasonable modding action.

I think Zeratul summed it up nicely earlier:

Zeratul wrote:The act of closing a thread and opening a new version is actually an act of kindness. What would you prefer?
a) thread closed for days while a dozen (or more) warnings are issued for posts therein before it is unlocked
or
b) a clean slate where you avoid those warnings and potential bans and continue posting without delay
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Empy
Derper

Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:

It is your own logic that is flawed. Nowhere did I state that deleting posts is ok, yet you created a parallel between that, and recreating a war thread instead of keeping said thread closed for days while it is cleaned out and warnings given.
No. You said since the rules don't state you can't lock a thread and recreate it, then it's okay. So by that same logic you used, it should also be okay to delete every post on the forums. Since the rules don't say you can't do that.

Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:
Empy wrote:
Haz wrote:

I didn't happen to edit it a few times, I wrote all of it. And unless someone with a greater understanding of the English language can prove me wrong, as I've said, since it says nowhere in the Guidelines that a Mod can lock a thread and create a new one the "discretion" part of the guidelines cannot possibly refer to that. It refers whether or not a thread should be cooldown locked, and for how long (this is because the guidelines mention that as the correct course of action).

OK which thread are we talking about? The rule thread? Because that is what I am basing this all off... the one which has been created by past admins, and edited since by the current administration. The rule thread which every user is to abide by. It says nowhere in the rule thread that you can, and it says nowhere in the rule thread that you can't. So it is up to a moderators discretion. I would have thought this would be a reasonable modding action.

I think Zeratul summed it up nicely earlier:

Zeratul wrote:The act of closing a thread and opening a new version is actually an act of kindness. What would you prefer?
a) thread closed for days while a dozen (or more) warnings are issued for posts therein before it is unlocked
or
b) a clean slate where you avoid those warnings and potential bans and continue posting without delay
I know you were talking about the Forum Guidelines (now). There is a thread in the Moderator Section called the "Moderator Rule Enforcement Guidelines" which when someone breaks a rule you are supposed to reference to see to how to deal with it. You clearly didn't do that, since you just said you read the Forum Guidelines to figure out how to handle the situation. As I said above the logic "It says nowhere in the rule thread that you can, and it says nowhere in the rule thread that you can't. So it is up to a moderators discretion" is flawed. Just because it doesn't say you can't, doesn't mean you can. The Moderator Rule Enforcement Guidelines outline what you are supposed to do, and they don't say you are supposed to lock a thread and recreate it, ever.

Also when I read Zeratul's post here is what I see;
a) The mods can do their jobs
or
b) The mods can choose to be lazy and not do their jobs

Spoiler
Empy
Derper

Is it sad that I legitimately enjoy arguing endlessly about this utterly pointless **Filtered**?

Spoiler
Psyko
The Irresistible

Empy wrote:Is it sad that I legitimately enjoy arguing endlessly about this utterly pointless **Filtered**?

Nope.

Or was that rhetorical?
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Empy
Derper

Psyko wrote:
Empy wrote:Is it sad that I legitimately enjoy arguing endlessly about this utterly pointless **Filtered**?

Nope.

Or was that rhetorical?
A little of both

Spoiler
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

You people need to start spoilering images that stretch the forum or I'm going to start handing out warnings. :smt018

d. Image size.
Images larger than 600 pixels in height and/or width need to be posted inside of a "spoiler box".

Consequence:
A mod will place your image inside a spoiler box and issue a verbal warning. Repeat offenders will be given one warning point.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”