User Protection (Cyber Bullying)

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

User Protection (Cyber Bullying)

I am curious to what your current stance is in regards to protecting other moderators/users from cyberbullying?

Firstly from users of these forums and secondly from moderators themselves.

As huge social networking sites have identified as well as goverments, Cyberbullying is a serious issue and as your target range for this game is probably under 18s it does grossly apply to you. It is an attempt at abuse where we can see in the examples of Amanda Todd amongst others that can cause huge anxiety in those who it affects and in extreme circumstances the enitre world.

What's the current policy?
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?

I think this is sig worthy in fact.
:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Re: User Protection (Cyber Bullying)

"Bullying" is not against the rules.

Things that might be considered bullying, such as abuse, are against the rules.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Empy wrote:"Bullying" is not against the rules.

In your opinion, with bullying more present on the internet that it should be considered?
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

Field Marshall wrote:

In your opinion, with bullying more present on the internet that it should be considered?
Nah, abuse being against the rules is enough. And I know it's sad to see people driven away by trolls, but no one is forced to be here so if they truly are undergoing extreme stress from the forums and the people on them they can simply leave. Or even use the ignore feature so they no longer have to read the "bullies" posts, that would be perfect actually.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
Z E R O
Forum Addict
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1918344
Alternate name(s): Hymir

I know people who knew Amanda Todd... There's a little bit more to that story than the media got into. But ill leave it at that.

I don't think bullying is a problem here whatsoever. Unless you count being massed or sat on. But that's part of the game.
Z E R O - Jötunheim - 1907332 - UnKnown of the TOLAH
*Zero - 1991093
Spoiler
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Z E R O wrote:I know people who knew Amanda Todd... There's a little bit more to that story than the media got into. But ill leave it at that.

I don't think bullying is a problem here whatsoever. Unless you count being massed or sat on. But that's part of the game.

It was just an example of cyberbullying, there may have been more behind it, however, it is unquestionable that as a result she was cyberbullied. Regardless of her own previous actions...but yeah, story for another day.

Empy wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

Nah, abuse being against the rules is enough. And I know it's sad to see people driven away by trolls, but no one is forced to be here so if they truly are undergoing extreme stress from the forums and the people on them they can simply leave. Or even use the ignore feature so they no longer have to read the "bullies" posts, that would be perfect actually.

Kind of makes sense, in fairness, for clarity, where is the "ignore" button? In my opinion, if there are multiple people making somebody feel extremely uncomfortable, that in the interest of protecting one of Jason's customers that the said user would be protected and prehaps helped at the discretion of a mod.

Fair enough, cool. Imma go mass some bullies :smt112
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Field Marshall wrote:
Z E R O wrote:I know people who knew Amanda Todd... There's a little bit more to that story than the media got into. But ill leave it at that.

It was just an example of cyberbullying, there may have been more behind it, however, it is unquestionable that as a result she was cyberbullied. Regardless of her own previous actions...but yeah, story for another day.

Empy wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

Kind of makes sense, in fairness, for clarity, where is the "ignore" button? In my opinion, if there are multiple people making somebody feel extremely uncomfortable, that in the interest of protecting one of Jason's customers that the said user would be protected and prehaps helped at the discretion of a mod.

The friend/foe feature in the UCP.
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Haz wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

Empy wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

Presumably, making them a foe would entail their posts disappearing?

edit: Can mods have "foes"?
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Field Marshall wrote:
Haz wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

Empy wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

I'm actually not sure about that. Remind me and I'll try that when I get home lol
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Coulson
Forum Regular
Alliance: S.H.I.E.L.D.
Race: Human
ID: 75836

Mods can have foes but mods can't be made a foe.
If I'm bulling someone they can't hide my posts.
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

It is possible for a mod to set someone as a foe, but I doubt any would use the feature.

If a mod is bullying someone, they can be reported either to their section admin, or to me.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Haz wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Haz wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

Empy wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:

I'm actually not sure about that. Remind me and I'll try that when I get home lol

Ok...don't forget to check when you get home :-k
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Field Marshall wrote:Ok...don't forget to check when you get home :-k
Did you not read the replies you got?

- You cannot foe a moderator.
- A moderator can foe anyone they want.

Gregor Clegane wrote:Mods can have foes but mods can't be made a foe.
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Juliette wrote:

Nope, the forum isn't phone optimised. I presumed as a low traffic thread there wasn't anything inbetween the short period between my posting and Haz' posting. Thanks though for highlighting it!

So technically, the suggestion by Empy may not work if a moderator is bullying? Then again, there is somebody responsible and in charge of every mod. So that is sufficent right? :-k
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?

Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Field Marshall wrote:
Juliette wrote:

Nope, the forum isn't phone optimised. I presumed as a low traffic thread there wasn't anything inbetween the short period between my posting and Haz' posting. Thanks though for highlighting it!
Haha, true. I get that with my phone too. Should really be possible.. different subject.
Field Marshall wrote:
So technically, the suggestion by Empy may not work if a moderator is bullying? Then again, there is somebody responsible and in charge of every mod. So that is sufficent right? :-k
Indeed. I personally believe that to be sufficient oversight. In Clegane's case, bullying would be handled by Sol (his Section Admin), and Haz (if Sol cannot get through to him).

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”