Question regarding Rule 5e.

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Question regarding Rule 5e.

[spoiler=Section 5: Language / e. Criminal Content/Activity]The SGW forums are not the place for discussing or facilitating criminal activity. This includes arranging to carry out a crime or the posting of illegal content (including copyrighted property).

Discussion of whether an illegal activity should be allowed, may be allowed within the Debate Section. However, if it is believed that a subject being discussed is illegal, or is too controversial, a Moderator/Admin may remove it.

Consequence:
Arranging to carry out a crime or the posting of illegal content result in the issuing of warning points. Very serious comments will be given more warning points. This will be judged with input from the Forum Administrators and Moderators. In cases of criminal activity the Administrators will not hesitate to contact the authorities.

If a decision is made to remove a discussion, warnings may be given, based on the severity of the comments.[/spoiler]

However, if it is believed that a subject being discussed is illegal

Illegal content to which country? The hosting service, the owners location or the users location?
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?

I think this is sig worthy in fact.
:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Question regarding Rule 5e.

Free Speech all the way, so: Iceland.

This rule concerns issues that are criminal in ~all countries. Not country-specific censorship.
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Juliette wrote:Free Speech all the way, so: Iceland.

This rule concerns issues that are criminal in ~all countries. Not country-specific censorship.

I think, legally, the "jurisdiction" would be the server location.

But my personal opinion is that common sense should be used. If it is illegal in the majority of countries, assume that Admins/Mods will see it as illegal on the Forum.
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

Re word the rule and close the loop hole. ;)

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

Rule 9 needs to be adjusted as well. That looks like its all about mods.

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Jedi~Tank wrote:Rule 9 needs to be adjusted as well. That looks like its all about mods.

Rule 9 was not changed. It means, if a moderator is acting officially (mod colour), address them respectfully. If there is a problem with their actions, PM them, or their Section Admin. If they are not acting in an official capacity (no mod colour), do as you like (within the rules, of course).
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

Haz wrote:
Jedi~Tank wrote:Rule 9 needs to be adjusted as well. That looks like its all about mods.

Rule 9 was not changed. It means, if a moderator is acting officially (mod colour), address them respectfully. If there is a problem with their actions, PM them, or their Section Admin. If they are not acting in an official capacity (no mod colour), do as you like (within the rules, of course).

My pount is, make the rules wording fit "US" not just a set for users and a set for mods. This forum is borderline dead and needs life no?

Deni
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Jedi~Tank wrote:Re word the rule and close the loop hole. ;)
Done.
Respect to other users is covered under the other rules. Moderator respect is a separate issue.

Haz wrote:Rule 9 was not changed. It means, if a moderator is acting officially (mod colour), address them respectfully. If there is a problem with their actions, PM them, or their Section Admin. If they are not acting in an official capacity (no mod colour), do as you like (within the rules, of course).
Moderators are always moderators. Anything the moderator says will be held to a higher standard. However, user responses to them will be judged based on whether or not the moderator clearly specified their acting in an official capacity.

In short:
Moderator insults user without using their colour - Rule 4c applies; Moderator gets slapped (breaking rules as staff = worse than breaking rules as regular user, but still.. both are extremely bad..) :P
User insults moderator who posted without colour - Rule 4c applies
User insults moderator who posted with colour - Rule 9 applies

This rule has been proven to be necessary, yes, even in the past few weeks (and all the time before then). So yes, this forum needs life (has life, I would say, look around you), but it also needs guidance.
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Juliette wrote:
Jedi~Tank wrote:Re word the rule and close the loop hole. ;)
Done.

[spoiler=e. Criminal Content/Activity]The SGW forums are not the place for discussing or facilitating criminal activity. This includes arranging to carry out a crime or the posting of illegal content (including copyrighted property). In deciding illegality, common sense is used: If it is illegal in the majority of countries, Admins/Mods will see it as illegal on the Forum.

Discussion of whether an illegal activity should be allowed, may be allowed within the Debate Section. However, if it is believed that a subject being discussed is illegal, or is too controversial, a Moderator/Admin may remove it. (Aforementioned logic applies.)[/spoiler]

Wonderful. Simply put. I'm impressed. Usually we have to have dumb arguements =D>

Next question, do rules apply to all new posts or does this now include all historical posts? I imagine not?
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?

I think this is sig worthy in fact.
:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Field Marshall wrote:Wonderful. Simply put. I'm impressed. Usually we have to have dumb arguements =D>

Next question, do rules apply to all new posts or does this now include all historical posts? I imagine not?
No, this is a 'Moment Zero'. From the moment of posting, the new rules apply to all new posts. Retroactive warning is .. well .. counterproductive. (1. It would be nitpicking, 2. It would be a **Filtered**load of work, 3. Would not do much good anyway.)
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

so no more talk of being stoned, high, pot smoking etc .. illegal in many countries?

signature width as well as height should be restricted as well,

how is it determined an image expands screen to much? I had a problem with a sig that stretched mine (15" 6 laptop screen) but was fine on a mods screen.

the use of forgein language should be within reason too, surely saying Bon Voyage or a similar commonly used phrase would be allowed.. a whole paragraph/ conversation I can understand being a problem.. but then the words are of clear but if somewhat foreign context there should be a leeway.. merci ;)
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

fem fatale wrote:so no more talk of being stoned, high, pot smoking etc .. illegal in many countries?

e. Criminal Content/Activity
The SGW forums are not the place for discussing or facilitating criminal activity. This includes arranging to carry out a crime or the posting of illegal content (including copyrighted property). In deciding illegality, common sense is used: If it is illegal in the majority of countries, Admins/Mods will see it as illegal on the Forum.

Discussion of whether an illegal activity should be allowed, may be allowed within the Debate Section. However, if it is believed that a subject being discussed is illegal, or is too controversial, a Moderator/Admin may remove it. (Aforementioned logic applies.)

Consequence:
Arranging to carry out a crime or the posting of illegal content result in the issuing of warning points. Very serious comments will be given more warning points. This will be judged with input from the Forum Administrators and Moderators. In cases of criminal activity the Administrators will not hesitate to contact the authorities.

If a decision is made to remove a discussion, warnings may be given, based on the severity of the comments.

It should be generally understood that the Criminal Activity rule is in place to prevent members using SGW to plan or facilitate a crime, and prevent them from posting criminal activity. Logical discussion of past transgressions, current state of being, and legality of certain acts should all be allowed.

fem fatale wrote:signature width as well as height should be restricted as well,

how is it determined an image expands screen to much? I had a problem with a sig that stretched mine (15" 6 laptop screen) but was fine on a mods screen.

f. Signatures.
Signatures may not exceed 450 pixels in height. That means you have a total of 450 pixels worth of space to form your signature. This does not include the space within a spoiler, however it does include the space taken up by the closed spoiler itself. Signatures will be measured from the top of the first item to the bottom the last, and on the forum skin the Moderator has applied; however in the case of a dispute the default forum skin will be used to measure.

vs.

d. Image size.
Images larger than 600 pixels in height and/or width need to be posted inside of a "spoiler box".

We didn't change the Sig rule, because it's covered in the Image rule (which we did change).

As far as whether it widens the page, we usually test it on the default skin.

fem fatale wrote:the use of forgein language should be within reason too, surely saying Bon Voyage or a similar commonly used phrase would be allowed.. a whole paragraph/ conversation I can understand being a problem.. but then the words are of clear but if somewhat foreign context there should be a leeway.. merci ;)

Section 5: Language
a. English.
Members of the SGW forums are required to speak in English at all times. Members should also respect that English is not the first language of all users and respect that some people may struggle with it more than others. If you wish to use a different language for any reason, provide a full translation in English.

Note:
Some instances may occur where a phrase is common among languages, despite being identified as of a specific languages. These instances are allowed, at the discretion of the moderators.
The Spam temple will allow some foreign language, but not much. This will be left up to the discretion of the applicable moderators. Once advised to discontinue posting in another language, the normal forum rules will be applied henceforth.

;)
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Psyko
The Irresistible

Haz wrote:
fem fatale wrote:so no more talk of being stoned, high, pot smoking etc .. illegal in many countries?

The SGW forums are not the place for discussing or facilitating criminal activity. This includes arranging to carry out a crime or the posting of illegal content (including copyrighted property). In deciding illegality, common sense is used: If it is illegal in the majority of countries, Admins/Mods will see it as illegal on the Forum.

Discussion of whether an illegal activity should be allowed, may be allowed within the Debate Section. However, if it is believed that a subject being discussed is illegal, or is too controversial, a Moderator/Admin may remove it. (Aforementioned logic applies.)

Consequence:

If a decision is made to remove a discussion, warnings may be given, based on the severity of the comments.

It should be generally understood that the Criminal Activity rule is in place to prevent members using SGW to plan or facilitate a crime, and prevent them from posting criminal activity. Logical discussion of past transgressions, current state of being, and legality of certain acts should all be allowed.

fem fatale wrote:signature width as well as height should be restricted as well,

f. Signatures.
Signatures may not exceed 450 pixels in height. That means you have a total of 450 pixels worth of space to form your signature. This does not include the space within a spoiler, however it does include the space taken up by the closed spoiler itself. Signatures will be measured from the top of the first item to the bottom the last, and on the forum skin the Moderator has applied; however in the case of a dispute the default forum skin will be used to measure.

vs.

d. Image size.
Images larger than 600 pixels in height and/or width need to be posted inside of a "spoiler box".

We didn't change the Sig rule, because it's covered in the Image rule (which we did change).

fem fatale wrote:the use of forgein language should be within reason too, surely saying Bon Voyage or a similar commonly used phrase would be allowed.. a whole paragraph/ conversation I can understand being a problem.. but then the words are of clear but if somewhat foreign context there should be a leeway.. merci ;)

a. English.
Members of the SGW forums are required to speak in English at all times. Members should also respect that English is not the first language of all users and respect that some people may struggle with it more than others. If you wish to use a different language for any reason, provide a full translation in English.

Note:
Some instances may occur where a phrase is common among languages, despite being identified as of a specific languages. These instances are allowed, at the discretion of the moderators.
The Spam temple will allow some foreign language, but not much. This will be left up to the discretion of the applicable moderators. Once advised to discontinue posting in another language, the normal forum rules will be applied henceforth.

;)

Oh my! What brilliant answers! =D>
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Psyko wrote:
Haz wrote:

Consequence:

f. Signatures.

vs.

d. Image size.

a. English.

Note:

;)

Oh my! What brilliant answers! =D>

Yes, yes, your answers, I know :P
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
moses
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Leaf
Race: Na'vi
ID: 48618