Q & A

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Caprila
Grand Master of the Inquisition
Race: Immortal

Q & A

It occurs to me, that while users have a forum to talk to the moderators directly, we moderators do not have one to talk to users ;) Seeing as I seem to get a lot of pm's/posts asking about my actions, thoughts both on forum and ingame, I thought I'd just give you an opportunity to do.. clear the air so to speak, and ask.

So while I may regret this, go ahead and ask whatever you like, whether it's about previous ingame alliances, wars, players, tournaments, moderation etc.. or totally random things like favourite colour of jello ;)

Rules of this topic ( for sanity purposes )

.1. Questions about IRL may be ignored
.2. Questions about the moderator forum / internal matters can't always be answered ( I'm subject to rules too you know)
.3. This topic won't be moderated for spam, but swearing/masking/etc won't be tolerated.
.4. If you don't like my answer, that's up to you. However, asking it again won't give you a different one.

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

Re: Q & A

I heard you randomly ban people when feel sad, is this true? :razz:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Caprila

Sol wrote:I heard you randomly ban people when feel sad, is this true? :razz:
I do not ban randomly.

There is always a reason

:smt025

Sol
Forum Addict

Caprila wrote:
I do not ban randomly.

There is always a reason

Why don't you allow more leniency in your warnings? :P We all want to slap someone over the internet, but surely once or twice doesn't hurt xD
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Ras al Ghul
Forum Irregular

Do you consider letting a user know that something was done in a smaller section of the forums?
We all understand that main isn't a place a mod can let them know they moved this or removed that.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Is it true that you're secretly having an affair with Juliette?
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
EbilCC
Forum Addict

Jack wrote:Is it true that Im secretly having an affair with Juliette?
yes

SJ MENTAL "I have no idea why they would ban you cc you add so much to the community at large"

[9:28:51 PM] robert_paul97: cc is the best

Teesdale: ive been farming all day and havent repaired MS
so CCs little cant blew through my shields (worry)
EbilCC
Forum Addict

Caprila wrote:
I do not ban randomly.

There is always a reason

the reason is your biased No u say LIes we say

SJ MENTAL "I have no idea why they would ban you cc you add so much to the community at large"

[9:28:51 PM] robert_paul97: cc is the best

Teesdale: ive been farming all day and havent repaired MS
so CCs little cant blew through my shields (worry)
Caprila

Sol wrote: Why don't you allow more leniency in your warnings? :P We all want to slap someone over the internet, but surely once or twice doesn't hurt xD
Hmm. This is difficult to pin down, so I'm going to use an analogy.

The forum rules regarding masking are explicit. According to the forum rules, (outside GC), every single example of masking must be given a warning point. There is no verbal warning to be given, it is the stated consequence, decided on by the Admins for this forum.

You could, feasibly, use that as a 'guideline', and use your personal judgement as to when you believe masking was 'meant' to be offensive, or wasn't accidental. In some cases, you could issue verbal warnings, and in others, full warnings.

One of the first complaints from users upon receiving a warning is i) Why was I warned for X, when another user wasn't? Given the different personalities, backgrounds and styles among the moderators, you would likely find some would given warnings, and some wouldn't, for the same example.

This is, I think, why the consequences are there. Whether they are right or wrong, to provide a consistency among the forum staff. And so, I keep to the forum rules, and their stated consequences, as closely as possible. Sometimes, this is seen as harsh, and sometimes its seen as biased. But, there are two sides, or more to every argument. Leniant to one, is unfair to another. Harsh to one, is 'just' to another.

Caprila

TheLost wrote:Do you consider letting a user know that something was done in a smaller section of the forums?
We all understand that main isn't a place a mod can let them know they moved this or removed that.
In most cases, users will be messaged, or at least notified that a change has taken place within the topic. Sometimes this will take the form of a personal message. Others, it will be green writing within the topic, for all to read. ( Consider the logistics of personal messaging each individual, when you split 40 posts off a topic ).

The moderator writing in a topic is there for two purposes. Both to notify users of the change, and 'mark', who made the change. In many sections, there are multiple moderators (and their SH) present. Marking who made the change allows any users who have questions, queries or issues to personal message the right person.

Caprila

Jack wrote:Is it true that you're secretly having an affair with Juliette?
No...

I wouldn't want to step on your toes :smt043

Caprila

EbilCC wrote:the reason is your biased No u say LIes we say
I'm not seeing a question here.

ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

how come you get your own special colour? ie one not in the colour legend down the bottom? are you really Zeratul? :-"
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
Mental
Forum Elite
Alliance: [ THE DARK DOMINIUM™]
Race: ~Da Bait~
ID: 55247
Alternate name(s): Melting Pot of Friendship.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Spoiler
[14:42:10] The Anti Christ: Now I know what harch feels like
[20:15:16] Duderanch: Ben filled me up :P
[14:14] CC Leader: harriet harmon is a freak in bed
[01:42:08] The Anti Christ: Mental is my hero, I wish I was more like him
Caprila

fem fatale wrote:how come you get your own special colour? ie one not in the colour legend down the bottom? are you really Zeratul? :-"
Green shows up in the legend on the bottom of my forum. Perhaps its the forum skin you use, I don't know.

Green is used by the 3 Freeroam Moderators ( those that have 'blue' funtionality for all sections ), Buck, Agapooka and myself.

I don't have enough personalities to be Zeratul :smt060

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”