Internet Speed

Moderator: Misc Mods

Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

Re: Internet Speed

Post by Psyko » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:16 pm

MEZZANINE wrote:http://www.speedtest.net/

I have 10 MB cable broadband but at peak times I have seen it as low as 3 MB and the max Ive ever seen on testing was 10.31 MB, over what Im meant to get so go figure :lol:

I run ~36.28 megabit/second download and ~13.44 megabit/second upload.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC

Lawless One
Absolutely Evil
Alliance: TPP
Race: Priate
ID: 84300
Alternate name(s): ~tackless shadow~
lawless one
balam
dagrith

Post by Lawless One » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:22 pm

iv a dedicated 4mb line and at peak times i can hit 400-550kb/s :) even when its not peak times it reaches the same :)
"Beware the fury of a patient man"
"Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much"
"im not what your used to im a lil cookoo"
"Let them hate, As long as they fear!"

GOLDEN WING
Wraith
Alliance: ~RiCoS_WÅrLoRdS~
Race: Heatwave

Post by GOLDEN WING » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:24 am

lawless one wrote:iv a dedicated 4mb line and at peak times i can hit 400-550kb/s :) even when its not peak times it reaches the same :)

it sucks i was expecting to have 4mega byte speeds lol now all i can hope for is 400kb-600kb ,

it makes me angry that people can hit 1G-1T speeds and my country can't even hit 1MB total speed #-o
Golden's Trade feedback
13,340,362,434,249 power remaining, they manage to eliminate 720,000 of ??????'s Covert Ops!
20,630,871,718,938 power remaining, they manage to eliminate 2.970.149 of steeooo's Undercover Agents!

Illuminatus
Forum Newbie
Alternate name(s): Adam

Post by Illuminatus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Generally, if you pay for ISP for 30mbps you won't get that. And even if you get a high result from something like www.speedtest.net there are still many other things that can effect your downloads. As other people have said, your distance from the main lines and how many people you share that with messes around with things like line noise, throughput/trueput and a whole array of possible interference. On top of this, you might be able to download a file at 50mbps, but if the guys your tying to download off can only upload to you at 1.5mbps then you won't use the full potential of your internet speeds, especially if the people you download things off also have another 1000 people trying to download from their servers. AND something ISP's love to do is throttle your speed, if you are the kind of person that likes to download things and you went for that "Unlimited downloads" from your ISP, you might want to check that fine print because most will kill your speed down to barely anything as punishment for using your unlimited downloads :P a year or so ago, i downloaded around 200gb in one week using BT's unlimited fiber-optic broadband and i got an email from them saying i exceeded my fair usage and if this happens again then my 60mbps would be throttled to 1mbps!

i also saw someone said about the megabits/bytes, i think it would be very cheeky and misleading for them to advertise in this way :P

I've only done one semester of networking so far so what i say might not be 100% correct, but it should be about there. :D
Adam.

cryx warcaster
Fledgling Forumer
Race: CRYX
ID: 100966

Post by cryx warcaster » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:14 pm

im on a 25mb fibre line

ping is 45 ms
download is 24.10 mbps
upload is 1.69mbps

and everyday there is at least 3 pc's running on it :D when i download something i get 1.5 - 2.8kbps
THE DRAGON FATHER CALLS

ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

Post by ƒëmmë » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:42 am

not surprising, ISP has been stuffed for about a month.. and I'm 450kms away from server
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rulesShow
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
SpoilerShow
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.

Drought
Forum Expert

Post by Drought » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 am

GOLDEN WING wrote:i went looking around and found this

"Generally - Bits are used to talk about data transfer rates (1 kilobit = 1000 bits), while bytes are used to talk about storage size calculations (1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes). So when your Internet provider offers you a 1Mb connection, its megaBits not MegaBytes. So for a rough guide of how MUCH you can download, divide by eight. i.e. 1Mb speed = 128KB of data. "

the difference is what they offer ...

mb = megabits
MB = megabytes

same goes for kb and KB.
quite often you will have the scenario where it only the first letter may or may not be capitalized
the K or k, and M or m: capitals being the byte indicator, and small ones being the bit indicator

the bits are about 1/8th of the bytes

8mb (8000kb) = ~1MB (~1000 KB)
a very bad hairdoShow

Return to “Debate Central”