Why?

Moderator: Misc Mods

AssyrianWarlord
Forum Newbie
ID: 0

Re: Why?

Post by AssyrianWarlord » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:58 am

This is a fair question to ask, and a slightly more difficult one to answer than one might first assume until one gives it thought. I was asked once; Is life intrinsically valuable (ie valuable in and of itself) or extrinsically valuable (ie valuable in what can be done with it) or somehow both, or not at all? Its not an easy one to answer and everyone will have a slightly different answer for various reason.
The best way to answer your question is not one that can be answered with a simple x, y, z example answer list. Rather I will return the question and say, Why not live, and why not enjoy it, and do what you have to so that you can enjoy it?

Eelyzabth
Forum Irregular
Alliance: DDE
Race: replicator
ID: 1961519

Post by Eelyzabth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:39 am

we do what we do for pleasure, some things aren't pleasurable, but doing them is a means to an end, we go to work cos we need the money, we spend the money on things that please us... we strive for promotion because a) more money and b) its more pleasurable to give orders than receive them (unless you get off on being ordered around that is ;) ) in the end we strive to enjoy life in whatever way we find most appealling,

life is short, don't waste it wondering 'why?' ... unless you like wondering 'why?'

live, love, laugh. thats my recipe to happiness
:smt040
Some girls turn heads. DDE girls break necks.....oh and.... Its NOT a bra, its a lacy summer top!!
My DDE MedalsShow
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Field Marshall wrote: Lizzy for president =D>

Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Post by Mordack » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Personally, I am not a huge fan of life. I am of the general opinion that, from start to finish, it's painful and miserable; and that anybody that tells you differently is either trying to have sex with you or sell or you something.

Similarly, I believe that people in general are inherently flawed. Deep down, we are programmed to hurt one another; either physically or emotionally. People are naturally selfish and greedy; governed more by bestial urges than common sense or ethics. Society is a terrible thing, too. The more supposedly civilized we become, the more immorality and decadence become the main staple of our daily diet.

Before Lost concluded, my main flippant excuse for not killing myself was that I wanted to know how it ended. I will get back to you with a new one when I find it.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)

Corran Horne
Knower of ducks
Alliance: & Leicester
Race: Cheltenham Gold Cup
ID: 314159265

Post by Corran Horne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:32 am

[BoT] Jason wrote:Ok first attempt so lets do this.

Why do we do anything in life?

It's all pointless in the end.

Do we do it for love?
For our god?
For self pleasure or a sense of making an impact on this hell we live in?

Just why?

just because. for the craic.

Phlamingoe
Forum Addict
Alliance: Phoenicopterus
Race: Ruber
ID: 65498761

Post by Phlamingoe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Mordack wrote:Before Lost concluded, my main flippant excuse for not killing myself was that I wanted to know how it ended. I will get back to you with a new one when I find it.

:smt060

I'm not really going to answer your question, but I have thought about how death affects my life, and I've come up with two important ways for me. First, whenever I do something stupid/fail/make a mistake, I just remind myself that soon I'll be dead and no one will ever know/remember/care that I failed an english paper or never asked out that girl I always had a crush on. Guess that's the pessimistic view.

The second way, similar to the first, is that because I'm going to die anyway, why shouldn't I go out and get what I want? I only have so much time and then I'm gone, along with any memory of who I was(even great people are only remembered for their achievements, not who they were). So why not work hard and go out and do what I want, why not ask out some random girl and see what happens, why not stay out far later than I should with my friends?
Below Me.
SpoilerShow
MSN wrote:[EPA] BMMJ13 [BoT] Mr. Orange says (11:35 PM)
only one of us can wear black eyeliner
and im not stopping

dip ship unknown
Forum Irregular
Alliance: none
Race: troll face
ID: 48299
Alternate name(s): eh im me

Post by dip ship unknown » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:14 am

Be nice!
Juliette wrote: Sab, sab, sabsabsab, sab sab sab sab sab! Sabbity sabbity sabbity sabbity sab sabsab sabsab.

Yes. To the tune of "Row, row, row your boat.."
qutotes and suchShow
Jak of blAdeS wrote: Can we set an end date to this Vendetta? maybe monday when market turns reset?
Regards,
Jak
Albert Einstein wrote:I never said half the crap people say i did
donais wrote:yeah kill the evil empire :P
I guess this makes dip ship like a super hero
Jim wrote:Yes, I compared myself to MLK, and Pops to the founder of Protestantism.
Also, im tempted to name my child Martin Luther and force him to be some kind of visionary.

Calibretto
Forum Expert
Alliance: TA
Race: back to drawingboard

Post by Calibretto » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:34 am

ANG (27) wrote:Stop it, you're depressing me. That thought ruined my 3rd-4th grade summer!

Just peed my pants :razz: :razz: :razz:

Calibretto
Forum Expert
Alliance: TA
Race: back to drawingboard

Post by Calibretto » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 am

Mordack wrote:Personally, I am not a huge fan of life. I am of the general opinion that, from start to finish, it's painful and miserable; and that anybody that tells you differently is either trying to have sex with you or sell or you something.

Similarly, I believe that people in general are inherently flawed. Deep down, we are programmed to hurt one another; either physically or emotionally. People are naturally selfish and greedy; governed more by bestial urges than common sense or ethics. Society is a terrible thing, too. The more supposedly civilized we become, the more immorality and decadence become the main staple of our daily diet.

Before Lost concluded, my main flippant excuse for not killing myself was that I wanted to know how it ended. I will get back to you with a new one when I find it.

I'd say try to see the good in people.

Its easy to remind yourself of the crap that people do or the horrible things we see. But its harder to see the good things people do.

A change of the view will surely help. And it also shows that things we might not have seen at 1st are actually really there.

I am not so wellspoken in the english language, but it proves that I am not selling you anything or want to have sex with you.

No it does not mean I dont like you, I actually do :)

xDaku
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity - leader
ID: 27858

Post by xDaku » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 am

This question is like asking "What is the meaning of life?"

There's no possible answer. Humans are complex beings. Anyone that says otherwise is being completely ignorant and most probably not being objective. In any case, this complexity creates different feelings, outcomes, and loads of other variables to different situations, and we keep going so we can see what the end result of a situation will be and how it will come about. Happiness, sadness, opinions etc. all stem from this equation. What is the end result? Which choice down a certain path will be picked? Can our brain decisively come up with an outcome?

People like to say that humans are a dying race, that we're getting worse and worse by the day. Really, we're just getting answers to questions we've had for a long time, and these answers are raising more questions. We're evolving, not dying. You cannot ask why we live till you get an answer for "What is life?" Answer that and then you'll get to why it's there...but first you've got to answer that first question and evolve ;)
SpoilerShow
Easy^ wrote: I am sorry if my shadow is too awesome for you to stand in.
E
MEZZANINE wrote:
Oooo I like higher math

E=Mc2*SGW = ( ( U = A*S*S ) + ( JT + $$$ + E*G*O ) ) + ( FS = AWESOME + Infinity ). Therefor FS -> DDE :D
Yyith wrote:Yyith says:
thats why women have small feet
get closer to the sink
SpoilerShow
Mezzanine wrote:Picture a hot summers day, sitting on the grass ( maybe smoking it too lol ), sun shining, cool breeze, cold beer, beautiful lady, perfect Serenity

Now picture your worst nightmare, the grass turned into trenches of mud, rain drenching you, ice winds, down to rations, surrounded by death and destruction

Turning your dreams into nightmares is what we do, heed this warning and pass it on, else you will forget your serenity forever

Blood in 2012 - Updated 1st Sep, 2012:
SpoilerShow
Attack Soldiers killed: 32,934,122
Defence Soldiers killed: 17,810,494
Attack Supers killed: 777,708,800
Defence Supers killed: 1,004,092,379
Spy Killers killed: 301,726,911
Spies Killed: 1,223,520,310
Total: 3,357,793,016

Raiders lost: 5,324,560
Guards lost: 14,223,773
Super Soldiers lost: 907,918,161
Super Guards lost: 654,870,558
Undercover Agents lost: 411,831,764
Assassin lost: 269,766,078
Total: 2,263,934,894

~Kronos~
Forum Elite
Alliance: None for now
Race: God of Time
ID: 70003

Post by ~Kronos~ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:17 pm

There isn't a single correct answer as to why. Everyone is unique and we all have our own motivations. Some our motivated by greed and lust, anger and fear, compassion and empathy, or ignorance and apathy. There are a million reasons as to why we do what we do, and they often change from event to event.

As far children go, I would say that is out of compassion and empathy for most people. I have two beautiful daughters who I would do anything for, however it is not out of self preservation. They are unique, and I do not live on through them in any way. When I die, I will be gone from this earth and having children will not change that. I would do anything for them b/c I love them.

Again, there are a million reasons why people do what they do. No one answer applies to anyone. The more disgusting motivations are just as common as the noble ones, however the better ones get over looked more frequently.

Life has both intrinsic and existential value. What you do with it counts, but being alive is valuable too. Other wise murder and treating other cruely wouldn't be such a big deal. But this is just an opinion. To others it might be worthless. Ultimately the only thing that matters is your opinion of your life.

Add Me On Google Plus \:D/

Return to “Debate Central”